I was not sure. He calls me and says Im outside, so I come outside to talk to himand followed him to a different car, not his. Where was Haes car? It wasnt just like I was selling a nickel bag here and there. I said, Isnt he a paramedic? And she said, Nah, hes cool, plus he wants to buy., I didnt trust him at first, since he wasnt like the people I knew pot smokers you know? The teacher, Mr. Brown, didnt know either Syed or Lee, raising eyebrows at his participation in the investigation. Wilds stated that he helped the 17-year-old Syed, who was accused of killing his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee in 1999, bury her body, which was later discovered in Baltimore's Leakin Park. Wilds' shaky testimony was first highlighted in Serial, the 2014 podcast hosted by Sarah Koenig that brought Syeds case back into the public eye. So where is Wilds today? Jay firmly believes that he was wrongfully represented on the podcast. His case was chronicled in the first season of the hit podcast. I wake up as soon as they put it on, he said. I guess I was being kind of a jury on whether or not people needed to be involved or whatever, but these people didnt have anything to do with it, and I knew they didnt have anything to do with it. In. I didnt know that he planned to murder her that day. Meanwhile,Maryland's highest court denied a new trialfor Syed earlier this month, according to The Associated Press. Phinn's decision came after prosecutors told the court they lost faith in Syed's conviction in light of new evidence and violations in the governments turning over evidence. But, like I said, I dont know how to come up with this story about how Adnan did it, why he did it, what he was thinking, how he was thinking, and why he was thinking that. Well, according to Chaudra, Wilds attorney told her that the prosecutors threatened him by promising to prosecute him in a predominantly white county, and Wilds, who is black, was frightened enough to do what he was told. Im also thinking, Whats making him think Im totally okay with this? Like if a car goes by, and I jump out and wave at them saying, Hey, this is a murderer right here. But I didnt. I think and, look, its been 15 years about 6 p.m. 10:45-11:15 a.m. Jay Wilds and Adnan Syed were reportedlynot close friends but the Woodlawn High School seniors fates would eventually become inextricably linked through a brutal Jan. 1999 murder case, when Syed was arrested and ultimately convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee. Please logout and login again. Why has your story changed over time? No. Jay also worked at the Drug Emporium store a short walk from his home. Notably, Wilds declined to be a part of the podcast although he was offered an interview. The Lord knows I didnt kill her, The Baltimore Sun reported. I rode BMX freestyle. Wilds, who was an acquaintance of Syed, confessed to helping Syed bury Lee's body, though he originally denied having anything to do with the murder. From the mall where he met Syed to the time, and even which friend's homes he visited the day of Lee's murder, there are questionable aspects of his testimony. We met over the weekend at his two-story suburban home. According to Wilds, he and Syed were not incredibly close at school. He ends up waiting more than two years. 824 Words4 Pages. how old was jay wilds in 1999 el camino for sale tampa how old was jay wilds in 1999 how old was jay wilds in 1999. disney land and sea packages 2022. affluent black neighborhoods in new york. It doesnt seem like enough of a reason to not talk to the police. Emotions have no IQ. For instance, during one of his police interviews highlighted in The Case Against Adnan Syed,an officer asks Wilds, Youre sure its the 13th because we told you got these calls on the 13th? Jay responds in the affirmative. Syed has been placed under house arrest for 30 days until the prosecution decides whether to retry him or not. "I guess I was being kind of a jury on whether or not people needed to be involved or whatever, but these people didn't have anything to do with it, and I knew they didn't have anything to do with it," he said. I don't feel comfortable drawing conclusions like that. Syed is currently serving a life sentence. Ill call you from someone elses phone when Im done.. When police were investigating Lees murder, CrimeStoppers offered a $3,075 reward for any information that would lead to the arrest of the murderer. How old were you when you first met Adnan Syed? "The Sun", "Sun", "Sun Online" are registered trademarks or trade names of News Group Newspapers Limited. He says, OK, follow me halfway back down the hill [towards the grave site], so he doesnt have to walk all the way back up the hill to get back to me in his car. When the Serial podcast premiered in October of 2014, many listeners were shocked to find that almost the entirety of the prosecutions case to convict Adnan Syed for the . And I looked real good again, and thats when I seen what looked like a foot. He later becomes a suspect because he walked 127 feet to find a place to use the restroom. Even to Serial, the podcast that detailed nearly every part of Syed's case, Wild remained off the record to provide background information, according to Rolling Stone. "I don't know if she said something he couldn't handle, and he went off the edge or if he had been seriously speculating about it. Another person who received scrutiny in the popular podcast was Syed's former classmate Jay Wilds . The Serial podcast threw some question marks over Wilds' version of events.. He was sentenced to life in prison for the 1999 murder of his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee. For his testimony, Wilds was given probation instead of a jail sentence for his said involvement in the crime. Wilds' testimony in. ", He also revealed why there may be inconsistencies in his story. At the time of her death, she was said to be dating a guy. . I know I didnt kill her. Jay feels strongly that he was unfairly depicted by Koenig and that she painted a highly misleading portrayal of him and his role in the case. Im gonna kill that bitch, man. Nothing real pointed or anything, not like, I know his name, or I caught her. But I just thought he was just shooting off like everyone else shoots off when theyre mad at their girlfriend. They leave the car at a park-and-ride lot. in January 1999 . We were in the car together during last periodhe was ditching the last period. Prosecutors dropped all charges against Syed, eliminating the possibility of a retrial. The hugely popular 12-part podcast "Serial" investigated the 1999 murder of teenager Hae Min Lee and the murder conviction the following year of her ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, who is currently. Check out never-before-seen content, free digital evidence kits, and much more! October 11, 2022: Prosecutors drop charges against Syed. Speaking with The Intercept, Wilds said his assumption was . Dissatisfying is the best word I can use for that, she said in an interview with Vulture. Other contributing causes included the emergence of new suspects in the case. January 1, 1999: Lee and Don Clinedinst go on their first date. The podcast alleged that there were inconsistencies between his police statements and the testimony he gave at Syed's second trial. Launch Gallery. When Woodlawn put in the magnet thing, they took out all the vocational classes. Wilds was Syed's classmate at Woodlawn high school, Baltimore. Love Island's Olivia Hawkins breaks silence as she returns to the UK, Loose Women star lined up to be Strictly's first contestant in wheelchair, GMB's Kate Garraway reveals crippling cost of caring for her husband Derek, Stephen Bear 'broke behind bars' as his company is shut down before he's jailed, News Group Newspapers Limited in England No. The police confirm to the press that they are. December 15, 1999: A mistrial is declared. November 20, 2014: Syeds family gives their first interview, Syeds brother Yusef talks to CBS This Morning and admits he listens to the show. He said that the idea of Best Buy came from the police. The ins and outs of the timeline have been scrutinized and studied endlessly by professionals and amateurs alike. A December 1999 trial ended in mistrial. Now, the case: Undisclosed claims Wilds may have wanted the reward money to buy a motorcyle - something police may have known, too. He has come to prominence in recent months. On January 13, 1999, Korean-American high school student Hae Min Lee, 18, was reported missing by her family after failing to come home. I played lacrosse, was a bit of a jock. Jay claims that once he acquired the marijuana, Adnan threatened to turn him in if he didnt help bury Haes body. He seemed under alot of pressure to please. And they were getting sentenced to three and five years. A separate conviction Ritz secured the same year Adnan was convicted was overturned because of this in 2016. He left in his car and I was trying to collect myself at my [grandmothers] house. But when they put the magnet wing in, it was kinda like these people were different from us. And they didnt have to interact with us anymore. 1999, when police . examples of bad manners. Wilds alleged that Syed had told him he had murdered Lee. Photo credit: HBO. She was still in the trunk. I dont necessarily know if he meant to kill Hae before he did it or if it was a sudden moment thing, but looking at his life, from what I saw, he seemed to be far out of his realm when it came to Hae leaving him. Lee had disappeared on Jan. 13, and almost a month later, on Feb. 9, her body was found by a passerby in Baltimores Leakin Park. Adnan Syed is currently serving life in prison, plus 30 years, for a murder he claims he didn't commit, and he may not have ended up there if it weren't for his former classmate, Jay Wilds. But their gym, lockers, parking, was down in the magnet wing. JAY WILDS. Last seen driving away from the high school in her gray Nissan on January 13, 1999, the 18-year-old Lee was found dead in Baltimore's Leakin Park about a month later. Jay told the filmmakers that Adnan showed up at his house and thats where he saw Haes body, not Best Buy as he had previously stated. I dont know. . Three days later, Baltimore Police received an anonymous tip that Syed was responsible for the murder. Shes a high school girl, Oh, hes cute, Oh, whateverthings fizzleout. of his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee in 1999. CrimeStoppers rewards are apparently paid out the following month after the police report that months official indictments. Evidence page for 2016 State Leave for Remand, 2013-15 Reopening Post Conviction (pre PCR), Evidence in 2015 Defense Motion to Reopen, which showed the conflicts betweeen just a few of Jays different versions of events, details of Jays own court case for the murder. Syeds first appeal is denied by the Court of Special Appeals, according to court records. Jay Wilds, who claimed he helped . Thats about burying her. From the statements Wilds made in 2014 with The Intercept, it seems unlikely he would do so. It wasnt like, Oh, were going bowling, and lets call it in before we go bowling and call the rest of our friends and call Jay. I dont remember ever going to any kinds of functions or endeavors together, or any concerts or clubs together, you know. Theyre gonna pin me to the fucking wall. Wilds' testimony in the murder trial was central to the conviction of Syed due to the nature of his account of events. Wilds, who gave police multipleinterviews and testified in court, was first questioned on Feb. 28, 1999, just hours before police arrested Syed on suspicion of Lees murder. Jay said that he and Adnan left Haes car in a grassy lot on January 13th, where it remained until Jay took the police there on February 28th. This is where people would have their house firebombed and still tell the police they knew nothing about it rather than to try to make some sense of whats going on. Who would hold party elites accountable to the values they proclaim to have? Three days later, Baltimore Police, For instance, during one of his police interviews highlighted in The Case Against Adnan Syed,an officer asks Wilds, Youre sure its the 13, The whole Jay storywas so confusing. Jay was likely not given a FULL check because he promised to present facts at Adnan's trial. Never really a big group of friends. Lunch period 11:15-11:30 a.m. Jay drops Adnan back off at school. April Wolfe. When we were digging the hole, its not like Haes body was just lying next to us. Adnan's friend Jay Wilds testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae Min Lee's body back in 1999, but Adnan Syed mentions he had nothing to do with Hae's death. What happened before that, I dont know.. Thats the best way I can account for the inconsistencies. Serial produced a time line which showed the conflicts betweeen just a few of Jays different versions of eventsfor January 13, 1999. Im fucking done. And Adnans like, Oh, well, youre not going to help me move her are you? And Im like No, Im not gonna help you move her. He says, Ok, well, Im gonna need you to drive back to her car., Somewhere up around a corner up a hill, parked in a strange neighborhood. I was a bit of an outdoorsman, adventure seeker, fishing, camping, learned to ride a motorcycle. By signing up, I agree to receive emails from The Intercept and to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.