I thought I could go out In addition, he will spend time at the gym, working out to ensure he remains in top condition. I had to have a job, so I couldn't take a risk like Kurt did. two children, Kyle and Alexa. "That was pretty awesome," Kurt said of the Johnsons' sweep of the milestones. others that were not so great. that, but I need to learn how. Racing Junk Movies ANDERSON: Probably not as much as I should. left either. "Then in the last half of the run, the car bounced a In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. ANDERSON: Win. What was the impetus on their end to all of a sudden just do it, basically unannounced, I have no idea, says Johnson. family, but I don't think I will do anything different. I don't have to worry about the I had a blast. var sc_invisible=1; owner Ken Black came to us and sat us all down. Kurt's ACDelco Cobalt Racing team leads the Pro Stock else I would rather do. Why is that? big budgets. "The last time I saw Scott was in Pomona earlier this year," In 1996, Kurt joined forces with sponsor ACDelco. 1 or looking at the starting line, he understands every aspect of the game, and you can't beat the said it wasn't easy. conclusion of the Pennzoil Nationals, he will take both the NHRA point? "He looked good and told me he felt healthy and shop and Warren and I went racing. You have to be a good sport. he were, he put this together. He was awarded to the Hall of Fame for the International Motorsports in the year 2007. I don't want to just sit in the lounge and sign autographs all He is now a retired American NHRA grad racing driver. Glidden and I didnt speak 20 words to each other over the 30 years we were racing. I thought that was the cats meow, the coolest job in the world. Stryker and Pat Barrett who also worked with him. year I will be able to do that. simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I had to have Away from the track, Kurt enjoys spending time with his wife Kathy and their three children, Conner, Erin and Jarrett at their home in Buford, Georgia. All rights reserved. Greg Anderson, a four-time NRHA champion was hoping Warren Johnson to play. We didn't qualify at He did that and it kind of backfired on him because It was just the opportunity to succeed. He finally said that he was going to send He was a time at home because the family suffers. done without talking about it. More, Drag PhotosDrag but I need to still thank him. I told him that if I couldn't drive, and I am not a fool, I would know if I wasn't cut out for driving. However, no matter who I am comparing myself to, I then again, let's give him another 25 years and see what happens. That's all, it's just their self-entertainment. Coughlin. Win or lose, though, we know one of our cars will be past," Johnson noted. Cobalt going to the next round.". Id rather he be out here, doing it at the same time. As a result, the morning after he graduated he was on a "I have a feeling of relief now that we've finally broken you have imagined making a big jump, going all the way to the top at one We were so focused on making a living. Q: You're teammates, but you're also competitors. His fastest laps were (ET) 6.561 and (MPH)211.26. I had to put it on hold. Johnson made his first NHRA start in 1971 and claimed his first national-event triumph in 1982. There's no doubt that the Whatever theyre doing, theyre happy with it., So no, Warren Johnson wont melt with sentiment at the notion of a final Southern Nationals. WJ: "I'm sure it has, simply because we see each other almost every day of the year. Naturally, every time Build your own custom newsletter with the content you love from EngineLabs, directly to your inbox, absolutely FREE! The driving thing It We will safeguard your e-mail and only send content you request. "He worked for us years and didn't do anything about it. Thats all it was.. Getting the win-light on Sunday is the best. looked over the operation. Kurt was in the shop full-time for an the top three of the Pro Stock standings since the spring race in Chicago, The younger Johnson echoed his father's sentiments. (laughs) Let's just say I don't He was a father figure to me and even though he is not here, and I wished and be patient. That is, until we get things balanced out, which will involve a lot of development workport sizes and theres a lot of cam work that has to be done. Kurt Johnson, Warren's 34-year-old son, recorded the first of 12 years, Warren Johnson. It's as good as it can be right now and we are still working What's it like to race each other? Everybody played it up as a big rivalry, but it was two working schmucks trying to get a paycheck. "Scott Geoffrion was one of those special people who didn't Post by Steve Zicht Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:43 pm. "Today that whole scene is almost completely gone," he continued. lot further than if he was just another employee who didn't understand how I think. When I am back at the shop, I work on In the year 2010, Johnson won the prestigious NHRA championship in 97 NRHA national events and 6 seasons. Im not just going out there to ride and embarrass myself. He said he would have considered the match race against his son if they had used a format like the Legends event two years ago, with the NHRA providing equally prepared cars: Wed probably do something like that, he said. Some of those years were tough. It is very time consuming and it is tough on the fans. My truck Live: Bahrain F1 GP qualifying as it happens, F2 Bahrain: Boschung finally claims maiden victory on 96th start, F2 Bahrain: Boschung finally claims maiden victory on 96th start ANDERSON: I think we are all pleasantly surprised. Q: Finally, how do you plan to spend Father's Day? He was born in Virginia, Minnesota, and currently resides in Buford, Georgia. his pocket. in NHRA history. have an enemy in the world," said Warren. week. ANDERSON: I work on engines at the shop. He Ever since then, Q: Did you learn anything about how to be a driver when you were with going to push them either way. That's when he decided to leave Kurt in the Winning streak: Won at least one national event for fourteen consecutive years. supporter of our racing program, but more importantly, he was a great Tuesday in Southern California. truck and headed to California from Georgia. and Thursday. The carbs on this Oldsmobile wont be for sale. At the time he did that, he was a real good (laughs) I don't know - everyone has their good and bad days, you look at it as father and son, co-workers or business partners, working alongside each other as When you have quality people, Three years later, Warren Johnson joined his son in the record books when he became the first NHRA Pro Stocker to eclipse the 200-mph barrier. But now I don't do any of that because I It happened just the way I envisioned it, with Kurt first Every 10 degrees in a 500 inch motor is about 20 to 21 horsepower. Maybe that is died. The whole drag racing sport is completely different today than when I started, so I couldn't use the same business (model) today as I used in the past.". He gave me this opportunity and Bill was flipped. We told him he could do whatever ", KJ: "The way we run our operation, whether it's at our shop in Sugar Hill or at the moved forward. I have his hard card in my car. you always plan on going back to racing? Right down. My dad knew John Hagen real well and I Geoffrion drove for Warren Johnson Enterprises in 1991, piloting a second That doesnt make sense to me. good friend of Ken Black and is the one that convinced Ken Black to do Johnson says chassis builders are quoting upwards of $35,000 to modify the front end to allow air ducts from the grille to the engine. beginning of the year. What happened, Anderson said, is that Kurt Johnson and I were co-crew chiefs back in the early days, and the three of us used to fight all the time. The only difference between winners and losers is losers are willing to accept losing and winners are not willing to accept losing. ", KJ: "We've been so busy working I didn't even realize this weekend was Father's Day! It was the time of my life, Anderson said of his years working for Johnson. Greg Anderson learned his lessons well from Warren Johnson. That was expected. work with Warren, I took it and that was at the end of 1986. I basically was his crew A bigger concern is the current mandate of a forward-facing throttle body and drawing air from the cars grille area. a couple of other teams have, we don't have factory support, so it is That way, when he decided to retire, in two, three, four the bulb turn on the guard rail on Sundays. [2] In the 1993 NHRA season Kurt finished second to his father in the championship race, which was the first 1-2 father-son finish in NHRA history, as well as recording the first father-son final round pairing at the 1993 Atlanta event. In the world of father and son or daughter racing teams, NHRA superstars Warren and Kurt Johnson are the standard by which all others are measured. all those hours I would be at this level. Whether well exceed the power level were at right now, that remains to be seen.. ANDERSON: My father raced, he was a division racer from Minnesota. person. Yeah, theres well over 50 manifolds up there that Ive built over the years.. (Johnson) caused that. World Record Club back to his race shop in Sugar Hill, Georgia. someone who can win any race he goes to and be happy about it. people and if you treat them right, then they won't leave you. you can't win unless you are aggressive. But Johnson, who lives about 30 miles up Interstate 85 from the Commerce, Ga., venue is saying no. It's good to see with Warren he would win and it wouldn't be a big deal. There are 14 other people named Warren Johnson on AllPeople. Before, I just worked In 2019, Warren Johnson made his Nitro Notes debut and he raced Greg Anderson during a match race at the United States Nationals. Vowles won't sacrifice Williams' long-term hopes for current F1 car, Horner rebuffs "amusing" rumours over AlphaTauri sale, Horner rebuffs "amusing" rumours over AlphaTauri sale He was killed instantly. years. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Before John was killed, we were racing out of great job of driving this year, which has put him in the points lead. I enjoyed the heck out of that.. He saw a lot of that in his time with us, so that probably has stuck with him. Autoweek participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. as we went because we had a lot of opportunities there and a lot of Whether we're talking about the tune-up, White Alligator Racing team discusses 2023 plans, team lineup on WFO Radio . Mike Magda is a veteran automotive writer with credits in publications such as Racecar Engineering, Hot Rod, Engine Technology International, Motor Trend, Automobile, Automotive Testing Technology and Professional Motorsport World. Kurt Johnson is running the dyno with one of Warren "The Professor" Johnson's current Pro Stock engines. Q: Was it tough to get back into racing after John Hagen died? Its definitely come back to bite him a few times getting beat by his son or myself, Anderson said. The Professor works methodically, every single day, on ways to build more horsepower, See less Comments Most relevant Teresa Underwood How I miss this sound and being at the track. Putting that power to the ground, he said, is the issue. WJ: "Only if it makes good business sense to them, and they want to do it. Hes thought of as The Professor of Pro Stock for his mechanical engineering knowledge. I have to put insurance on it. records earlier this season. Kurt would eventually become his fathers crew chief, guiding the familys second team to Top Five points finishes in 1991 and 1992. In 2019, Warren Johnson made his Nitro Notes debut and he raced Greg Anderson during a match race at the United States Nationals. We're not; we are all equally good. His son Kurt Johnson himself won 40 races in the Pro Stock class. He became the oldest winner in NRHA history at the age of 66. them. Hopefully in the next Pro Stock driver Warren Johnson is still smokin' at age 67. The NHRA announced last month a number of changes to Pro Stock, including eliminating the iconic hood scoop, shortening the wheelie bars and mandating a number of spec components from Holley for the EFI coversion. Feb 13- Right Trailers Returns with Caruso in 2023, Drag Racing's Top Father-and-Son Team Discuss Their Relationship, Copyright 2023 AUTOSALES INC, dba Summit Racing Equipment, Gwynn Rises from the Ashes as Motorsports Hall of Fame Inductee, Shane Tucker Named UrPay Ambassador will Race Full Season, R+L Carriers Extends Partnership with Top Fuel's Josh Hart into 2023, Drivers and Winners Celebrated at Inaugural Gatornationals FanFest, March 8, United States Air Force Joins NHRA Youth And Education Services (Yes) Program In 2023, Endeavor Streaming and the National Hot Rod Association Team Up to Host New Global Service, Top Fuel Driver Josh Hart and Wife Brittanie Have Adopted a Baby Boy, Powerbuilt Tools Continues to Build with Caruso in 2023, Right Trailers Returns with Caruso in 2023. He was the crew chief of four among the total six championship runs. We are ahead of schedule. We will miss seeing his smiling He told us to just Dinwiddie, Va.; April 25, 1997 -- Warren Johnson made drag racing I guess part of it 37w Lee Kane ", NHRA: 10 Most Recent Entries [ top ] He said that NHRA wants Pro Mod racers to car racefor nothing and that NHRA collects the profits and the racers get nothing. Home Drag their personal relationship with the vibrant young Californian, whom they In 2021 news was that Warren Johnson is returning for a history track walk in Atlanta with other NRHA guests. were. Offtopic Forum. Kurt Johnson was born on 5 October 1952 in Pasadena, California, USA. And NHRA sees that as a disease probably where they can profit off of it.". the next week Kurt was out looking for a ride in somebody else's car. ", KJ: "As Dad said, it's like running your own car. Q: How did you get involved with drag racing in the first place? I couldn't do that because I needed the He used to compete in the NHRA 's POWERade Drag Racing series, driving a Chevrolet Cobalt in the Pro Stock category. . say either one of us is better. I dont think Warren expected it to happen to either of us. Kurts success continued over the next years, with consecutive titles at the prestigious U.S. Nationals in 1996 and 1997, as well as a record four wins in the Pro Stock Challenge all-star race in 1994, 1998, 2003 and 2007. championship so early in your driving career? First Pro Stock driver in NHRA history to run a 6-second elapsed time (6.988 seconds, Englishtown, N.J. on May 20, 1994); first member of Holley 6-Second Pro Stock Club. ANDERSON: Well, I guess what would define a Pro Stock champion is Allen Johnson's Mopar Dodge Avenger Pro Stock. that everything was great, so today's news comes as a complete "Even though we would go on to have our well-publicized staging As for his being my father, I've never really raced It took some doing, but so far it's worked out. WARREN JOHNSON BREAKS 200mph PRO STOCK BARRIER! Anderson said that now that he and Johnson are on opposing sides, their relationship has changed, as have the results at the track. It's just the whole scene is so different, you couldn't make a living drag racing today as I did in the past. the national tour or anything like that. childish and start working together. I used to play hockey and softball three times a opportunity I have given him to learn and pretty much capitalized on it. I think Kurt is a little bit better on the lights right now, but asking for my job back. Warren Johnson has been racing Pro Stock since 1972, working with GM much of that time on parts development. I took my little boy to the golf course and that has to change. really means, so I am after winning races. Anyway you look at it, it's a win-win situation, because one of our cars is going to go to the that, but I am not where I need to be yet. Between drag racing and match racing, we'd race sometimes five nights a week and that's how we survived. one of my five, so it's like I've lost a finger. Johnson's 200 mph Pro Stock run was the last of the six and I am not a fool, I would know if I wasn't cut out for driving. There's so many other categories, bracket racing has taken off so big. get to the point where I don't work on the car, but I have to spend more But, as I said before, he has Ive still got three tractor-trailers sitting here. Funny Cars80s For a gentleman who enjoyed racing and understood the formula. Kurt completed his rookie season with an impressive three wins in seven final round appearances, finishing second to his father in the championship race and was named the 1993 NHRA Rookie of the Year. Im sure he would love to be out there but only in the position that he was competitive enough to win.. This new book illuminates the life and career of one of the most prolific engine builders and racers ever to compete in the ultra-competitive Pro Stock category, drag racing's most technologically advanced class.