Another important factor for the stability was the quality of education, as well as the care and love that our players received during their stay.". Ashland University football coach Lee Owens announced Friday his retirement after leading the Eagles for the past 19 seasons. Fresh off his ouster in Summit County, Ashland brought Owens in to resurrect a program that had fallen into mediocrity, and it didn't take long for him to do just that. TOM E. PUSKAR/ASHLAND . Were not like every other school, and what we talk about are values they really do matter, he said. Mount Union advances to Sweet 16 of NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Tournament, Outdoor Classic at FirstEnergy Stadium ends with Cleveland Monsters victory in overtime, FORECAST | Conditions more subdued Sunday, sun peeks, Flood Warning issued for parts of several Northeast Ohio counties, What caused Damar Hamlin's cardiac arrest? Owens has led the Eagles to the program's two NCAA postseason victories 27-16 over Minnesota State-Mankato in 2008 in the team's final game at Community Stadium, and 21-18 over Northwest Missouri State in 2017 at Jack Miller Stadium/Martinelli Field. Turnbaugh started his streak during a couple of important Great Midwest Athletic Conference victories by the Eagles. "I don't think my feet have touched the ground since I received the call from Al," said Geiser. Then, in 1959,Dr. Fred Martinelliushered in what has continued to be one of the most impressive marks of head-coaching stability in all of college football. "Coach Martinelli was a great influence on me as a coach," Keller said. "There have been some wins like that that you look back on. Its a combination of all of those things. ASHLAND, Ohio The venerable Ashland University football program officially has a new leader. "The tradition of Ashland football is very strong," said Geiser. Needless to say, Sean Seder grew up in the shadows and footsteps of his family's legends, but they were role models for him to look up to. Football Roster Coaches Schedule Statistics News Doug Geiser Press Conference Battle of Champions Link Record book through 6-17-22 Camps Prospective Player Events Recruitment Form . As for the coaching staff moving into the 2023, Geiser said the changes will be minimal. - Twelve 1,000-yard rushing seasons, the program's all-time rushing yards record has been broken, the program record for rushing yards in a season has been broken three times, the program mark for rushing yards by a freshman was beaten twice, and the AU mark for single-game rushing yards has been eclipsed twice. Ashland traces its past 60-plus seasons through just four head coaches. YEAR:19th in 2022-23 (first as head coach in 2023) 1 defense in Division II and were one of few that were left undefeated up until Week Nine where they fell to the Hillsdale Chargers on the road. Ashland University Football Program Coaching & Recruiting Personnel For anyone who is hoping to get recruited it's important to understand who to talk to - and NCSA provides the info you need. Geiser had previously served as AU's interim head coach for the last month, and also was on Owens staff every year since both came to the university before the 2004 season. To this day, Martinelli is one of only 61 head football coaches at all NCAA levels to win at least 217 games. . A Division II playoff appearance was followed by the program's first-ever postseason victory a year later. In the 2022-2023 season, Owens won GMAC Coach of the Year, linebacker Michael Ayers won GMAC Player of the Year, and freshman center Ethan Enders won Freshman of the Year. "We'll obviously have to add a coach to fill my position, but the staff will stay intact for the most part," he said. This is a place where I definitely wanted to raise my children and settle, and it's close to home for me.". I think there's been a divine intervention that has kept me at Ashland, fortunately. "I wish growth and success to the program as the next 100 years kick off. Geiser came to Ashland with Owens, spending the last 16 years as associate head coach, and also serving as offensive line coach, run game coordinator and pro liaison. Both really good football coaches, both with great reputations. The Eagles now without a permanent head coach will begin the search to replace Owens, but for now, the interim head coach has been named Doug Geiser. And, as announced by AU Director of Athletics Al King on Tuesday (Jan. 3) afternoon, Geiser will stay home and become the program's 15 th head coach. "We've got to continue to tell the story about the positives of our game, and we've got to continue to do the things we need to do to make the changes we need to make to protect our game. Two of the philosophies which have carried over from Martinelli to Keller to Owens, despite the changes in the sport in more than a half-century, are have great defenses and run the football well. Throughout the search process, we talked about integrity, commitment and work ethic. Potter, the No. For all of the success Martinelli had, he did share one regret. Some of Turnbaughs recent uptick in production has been by design in AUs offensive play-calling. "Doug exemplifies all of those attributes. This accomplished staff helped us to win a conference championship and qualify for the NCAA playoffs in 2022. 3 in the country, AU mens basketball looks to GMAC season-opener, No. Ashland football is one of the premier jobs in Division II football, and for me and myself Im honored and humbled to be chosen as the 15th coach.. Its not easy for someone to do, and he stayed the course.. Our season had ended, [and]it didn't look likely that we would be selected," Martinelli said of the team which went 9-1 in the regular season. Hes playing with some energy, hes consistently catching the ball and getting yards after the catch. Both Martinelli and defensive endBill Royceare in the College Football Hall of Fame. Hes been making some great plays, Brenner said. There have been many milestone victories for Ashland in Owens' tenure, the most recent of which was the win over Northwest Missouri State, which not only was the first postseason win in the fairly-new facility on Broad Street, but also came against a two-time defending NCAA Division II national champion. The Eagles were a perfect 6-0 at Jack Miller Stadium/Martinelli Field. 2012 was the fifth year in school history that the Ashland University Eagles football team took a trip to the postseason, the third under Coach Lee Owens. Larry Stine. Geiser, or a future replacement, will have massive shoes to fill in the 2023-2024 season. [5] He and his wife, Angie, have two daughters, Addison and Avery. "There's only two Division II head coaches on the board, and there's a bunch of Division II schools. "To go undefeated is something different," he said. "The tradition of Ashland football is very strong," said Geiser. Being together at AU for five seasons has certainly helped that connection. This accomplished staff helped us to win a conference championship and qualify for the NCAA playoffs in 2022. He worked his way up from graduate assistant to tight ends coach before following his mentor to Ashland, spending his entire tenure as offensive line coach while also adding the associate head coach title in 2007. Between 1981 and 1991, he was the head football coach at four high schools in Ohio and then an assistant coach at Ohio . "Throughout the search process, we talked about integrity, commitment and work ethic. This is a man who has set an example for others and cares about this place. Apply for PPOC Coach job with Roche in Taipei, Taipei City, Taiwan. A program which began in 1920, Ashland football has won 520 games all-time, and boasts three undefeated seasons, two other undefeated regular seasons, eight NCAA Division II postseason appearances, three D-II postseason wins, 17 conference championships, two College Football Hall of Famers, 19 first-team All-Americans, 22 Academic All-Americans, and three members of the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Good Works Team. YPSILANTI, Mich. (EMUEagles.com) Eastern Michigan University Vice President/Director of Athletics Scott Wetherbee announced the hiring of Kevin Foeman as head coach of the volleyball program today, March 2. "We've been able to do a lot here. "We'll obviously have to add a coach to fill my position, but the staff will stay intact for the most part," he said. Pour en savoir plus sur la faon dont nous utilisons vos donnes personnelles, veuillez consulter notre politique relative la vie prive et notre politique en matire de cookies. Some has been a matter of him creating separation from opposing defensive backs. 1-ranked Ashland University women's basketball team defeated Trevecca Nazarene, 83-65, to not only improve to 31-0 on the season, but earn the 2023 Great Midwest Athletic Conference Tournament title - the program's ninth tournament crown in the last 12 seasons. Geiser follows in the line of the previous three Eagle head coaches, who combined spanned more than six decades College Football Hall of FamerDr. Fred Martinelli(1959-93), Ashland University Hall of FamerGary Keller(1994-2003), and Owens. It's quite a feat for Ashland University to have two members in the Hall, when, according to the Hall itself, only 0.02% of college football's players and coaches have been enshrined. On Saturday (March 4) in Florida, Ashland University's baseball team improved to 4-1 after a 5-2 win over Gannon. AU athletics sees strong fall season in Learfield Directors Cup, Eagle basketball on the road in the 2022-2023 season, AU Call of Duty eSports team wins league championship, What is STUNT? Following the season, Owens earned Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Football Co-Coach of the Year and AFCA Division II Region 3 Coach of the Year honors. The assistant at Michigan [Frank Maloney]got it. dvelopper et amliorer nos produits et services. Vous pouvez modifier vos choix tout moment en cliquant sur le lien Tableau de bord sur la vie prive prsent sur nos sites et dans nos applications. It's what have you done for me recently. Martinelli said, "John, he coached defensive linemen at the next level, no question about it. But Owens, who will begin his 19th season at AU this fall, said things are a bit different . Ashland University football player Garrett Turnbaugh would likely trade his current pass-catching streak for a win over Hillsdale. An Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Institution. Geiser officially takes over forLee Owens, who announced his retirement on Dec. 2 following a 19-year tenure leading the Ashland football program. "Ashland fans, Ashland people care about their program," Martinelli said, "and they have strongly supported the coach and the team throughout. . Its a great place to start, and gives me a lot of peace of mind at night knowing I can trust those men., Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. The times are going to change. The only former Eagle head coach to have more wins in their career is Fred Martinelli who went 217-119-12 in his career.