The random part of drug testing makes waiting 2 weeks to taste the Everything Bagel much more difficult, if not impossible. Starting today, July 28, 2021, Envoy now offers new hire pilots a $15,000 sign-on bonus, paid out over the first year. The Airline and Contractor was wrong! December 16, 2021 - Major US airline executives faced questioning from the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee on Wednesday. In the old days, census workers were barely literate. I have held several jobs that perform random drug and alcohol tests. Pilots are routinely administered random drug and alcohol tests. Then againlong trip and someone is asking for someone else, you are in go-home mode. The certification requires a . The main problem with the testing is You are presumed Guilty, until You provide the urine to prove Your innocence! Answer (1 of 6): My airline is unionized with ALPA There are procedures for termination of employment. If the company doing the random drug testing for the airline can't get a pilot's name correct, why would you trust them to be able to get the chain of custody correct with your testing sample. April 2021 - CommuteAir, a United Express carrier, announced it will offer a fast-track hiring process for ATP Flight School students, strengthening CommuteAirs partnership with ATP as the airline continues growing. A pilot with a social media following for his anti-vaccine views has gone viral for attacking his airline's mandate on employees getting the coronavirus shot. Its SAD how $ dictates MOST weak minded ppl! But I guess hindsight is 20/20, so. My brother had achieve his commercial pilot's license and when my father passed away, I had taken my portion of our inheritance to get both my son and I a private pilot's license. to fulfillment of my lifelong dream of becoming an airline pilot," he said. If you are not the person they are asking for & notified them as so, then continued on your way. American declined to comment. Alex Berenson received a message from an American Airlines employee who said they are planning to do exactly what Southwest Air employees are doing. Since the FAA unlawfully revoked his license, he may have a seperate claim against them for taking away his living w/o proof of any crime or policy violation. Please view our advertising policy page for additional details about our partners. My last name is frequently garbled, despite being pronounced exactly as written, and it takes only a few seconds to ask, "did you mean XYZ?" Mention of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.14 CFR part 142 programs provided by ATP Jet Simulation, Inc. My last name is frequently garbled, despite being pronounced exactly as written, and it takes only a few seconds to ask, "did you mean XYZ?" Lucky youre not some hourly-paid contractor, or you should be sacked for typing the wrong name. How about asking for the last name or employee number? It's the dirtiest of business practices. American Closing SFO Flight Attendant Base: Whats The Real Motive? I would have tried to clear it up on site. The FAAs intent was to establish that proper notification had occurred or that there was a refusal to test on the part of the pilot, he said. His life finances have nothing to do with him being fired. Isnt it possible he is partially to blame. All trademarks, trade names, service marks, product names, company names, logos, and brands used or mentioned herein are property of their respective owners in the United States and other countries. Additionally, Amtrak is mandating all employees to be fully vaccinated by Nov. 1. As Ingram explains: That night was the end of all pay and benefits. Its a massive sickout. You have successfully joined our subscriber list. Pilots (and even more so Capitan of a legacy airline) are some of the most well compensated professions in the planet, especially in America. This time they will have to pay for their BIG mistakes.. That contractor guy should have waited to talk to the pilot so he can confirm for himself if the pilot was the one really randomly selected for the drug test, not just maliciously remarking that the pilot 'refused' to take the test, just blatant incompetence, hope he be fired for grave negligence.. He,should have ask to ask for ID to verify the name of the pilot. Easier to break someone financially than to be right in the first place. April 2021 - Delta Air Lines said Wednesday it will resume hiring new pilots, following other carriers in preparing for future staffing as travel demand rebounds. Take the damn rest and then use your union to investigate. According to an internal memo, FedEx to no longer require pilots to have a 4-year degree to apply, and hire 70 pilots per month for the "foreseeable future". Ingram needs to be made whole for the loss of his earnings, the loss of his license, and the abuse he was administered.. They had to know who the pilot was that was to be tested. Sounds a little too fishy on (THAT) part. Kyle Arnold is the aviation writer for The Dallas Morning News, covering airlines, air travel and the aerospace industry. He deserves compensation, especially since as a senior Captain, those are the years you make the His life finances have nothing to do with him being fired. He just makes bad decisions. The union didnt specify who exactly should be replaced but said it was below senior management. Smart money says the contractor had an accident, pronounced the W as a V, and this pilot, unless we are to believe he has never heard someone with an accent attempt to pronounce his name, figured he could just move on by saying it wasnt his name. I would give my name and have them check the paperwork. No where on the FAA whistle blowing website does it say, "If you give faults information that you could be punishable" So the union's hands were tied. August 2021 - As a PSA pilot, youll be part of a growing, close-knit, passionate team flying exclusively for American Airlines. He spent all his money doesn't mean he's guilty. Some cookies are placed by third party services that appear on our pages. @Mike I completely agree and that is exactly what I said. We understand these concerns and encourage everyone to consult with a medical professional and seek out facts from reputable sources, William Flynn, Amtraks chief executive officer, wrote in the memo. I always waited at least two weeks before my test to consume an Everything Spice Bagel. At least that seems like a good way to cover your rear. DeWitt Ingram, a 21-year American pilot, wants his life back. He's now getting some justice in court. In the military the ID is always check and signature. March 1, 2023, 6:00 PM UTC. May 2021 - Horizon Air is accepting aspiring pilots into their Pilot Development Program. It takes two years to become a qualified airline pilot, making it essential to consider the long-term career outlook. Here's an analogy. I would not only suit AA and Euling companies, but I will also would go and suit APA , the Pilots union representing all 15,000 Professional Pilots at AA for not following through. I hate these Big Companies like America who take Government money but treat the staff as non human sham on American hope he gets MILLIONS, I am glad that this man took the steps to fight for himself because a lot of big companys dont give a dam about anything or anybody else because they are making there millions , This man was a vigilant worker and spent many years as a excellent pilot with never a problem or being written up for any indiscretions and at 65 I doubt that he would start then , Blessings to you and I hope you get reimbursed every penny and more Sincerely Donna Our. No free government lawyer here. Twitter user @ClapBackKyle claims to be an American Airlines pilot (and in his Twitter bio he refers to himself first and foremost as a "professional pilot"), and he has threatened to kick me off his flight if I'm ever flying with him. March 2021 - Endeavor is hiring pilots again - join our growing team! On March 1, Delta pilots approved a new contract that includes a 34% raise for the company's 15,000 pilots over four years, the airline and pilots' union said. Their heads are thick as a brick. United Airlines' CEO Scott Kirby revealed six of its pilots were fired after not getting vaccinated. Domestic leisure travel will return to pre-pandemic volumes this month, John Laughter, Deltas operations chief, said in a memo to flight-operations employees Monday. Doesnt sound like hes totally blameless in this situation, yet of course not fully to blame either. "I'm looking for David. Many services and employees were transferred to Eulen in advance of the American Airlines bankruptcy, wrote Sicher, himself a Miami-based pilot. Either he is really victimizing himself or he took terrible financial decisions in his life. Advertiser Disclosure: Some links to credit cards and other products on this website will earn an affiliate commission. Not saying this captain is hiding something, but maybe he was drinking & when the name thing happened he sped off to avoid being fired for coming up hot? Either he is really victimizing himself or he took terrible financial decisions in his life. 2016 www.independentsentinel.com. An airline pilot that burned thru an alleged 401k in 2 yrs & had to sell off stock & autos to "survive"? As far as money , he could be one of those captains with 4 ex wives and 9 kids making $350K with no disposable income :)-. The comments on this page have not been provided, reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any advertiser, and it is not an advertiser's responsibility to ensure posts and/or questions are answered. Im not saying he is guilty of anything but not being Diligent. Delta has told its pilots it plans to have them all back to flying status by October to get ready for a return to more normal operations. 1981, when President Reagan fired over 11,000 air traffic controllers for participating in a strike in violation of a return-to-work order. Better sell the third Maserati too! Planning classes of 30 new hires bi-weekly, starting in April. Odds are the person pronounced Dewitt as David (we have no info on that person, may or may not have an accent) and the guy took advantage of the situation. How is it that the contract employee stated the wrong name, ("David"), but was able to report the correct name as having refused the drug test? Both the testing company and the airline need to pay an amount that they will learn and remember that if they are unjustly negligent with an employes well being that they will be the ones to ultimately pay. What about shareholders? When huge airlines are partnering with incompetent ground service teams like Eulen AND even worse the FAAthese thighs are bound to happen. The Allied Pilots Association, a labor union representing 14,000 American Airlines pilots, is urging its members to stay focused as some pilots fight the carrier's vaccine mandate. United announced its vaccine . If a contractor came up looking for a pilot who wasnt on the flight, it might make sense to stick around and take some time to clarify, rather than just walking off and moving on with your day. Michael Haak, 60, apologized before US. DeWitt Ingram, I stand in solidarity with you. Totally agree. The pilot should be vindicated and WELL compensated. The pilot if he had nothing to hide should have taken the drug test. There are 3 checkmarks. The Allied Pilots Association has been at odds with American Airlines for months after being allies for most of last year in begging the federal government for more than $52 billion in aid that went to helping airlines cover payrolls. All birthdays , Holidays, graduations missed in order to fulfil our job responsabilities. Exactly, I find it highly unusual that he did not stop to confirm via employee I.D that it was not him . In 1954. Southwest has canceled 1800 flights nationwide. The union made it clear it didnt want CEO Doug Parker or president Robert Isom replaced, although the union said in 2017 that the pilots had lost confidence in Doug Parker and his management teams ability to successfully lead American Airlines.. Whether AA crew members have the "right" to ask for the paperwork, I don't know, but if there wasn't even a full name given - which might have reduced the chance of confusion in a poor pronunciation - then it is hard to argue that the pilot was at fault. Crazy. Southwest Airlines Opens Pilot Hiring Window for 2022 First Officer Positions. Airlines take drug testing very seriously, and have zero tolerance with this kind of stuff. Walking off and being dismissive was not a practical decision. An employee for Eulen America, the ground services company that does drug testing for American Airlines, asked the flight attendant at the door for a pilot named David.. June 2022 - Piedmont and Envoy pilots will get 50% pay premiums through August 2024. I received a warning for this incident, even though I was clearly not on opiods! The decision of AA and FAA is against the principle of natural justice. Minnesota-based Sun Country and United Express carrier GoJet, which have all announced pilot pay increases since the beginning of December. They do the job for pay and benefits . Focus on the story. In a prepared statement, Scott Mager, Ingrams attorney, described the sequence of events that led to the case. Really impossible to know without knowing the nuance of exactly what happened. A judge ruled that the FAA illegally revoked his license, and he can now proceed with suing both the airline and the company behind the drug test. They both messed up. I definitely agree. The judge quickly struck down the FAAs case. Two American Airlines-owned regional carriers will hike pilot pay by 50% through the end of August 2024, the latest sign airlines are willing to pay up in hopes of ending a pilot shortage that has left some travelers with fewer flight options. American Airlines pilots want customers to know how bad things have gotten Business travel is slowly returning. Editorial Disclosure: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any entity mentioned herein. All of those members are still able to perform their duties as professional pilots, the letter continued. The program will also be retroactive to include all current pilots at Envoy and new hires through 2022. July 2021 - Envoy is pleased to announce the return of a bonus for all new hire pilots. Moonman was a prolific, but mostly harmless youtuber at a different AA wholly owned then this guy. The FAA never contacted My CFI, never did a background check or contacted the flight MD who issued my medical license. Is it true that in the USA, pilots have only a first name and no surname. I have no recourse to this vindictive crime. American Airlines said Monday that it is ramping up staffingparticularly within flight operationsto make sure that the thousands of cancellations that happened over Halloween weekend wont happen again as people head home for the holidays. Hospitals are even trying to force patients to get vaccinated. While we do try to list all the best miles and points deals, the site does not include all card companies or credit card offers available in the marketplace. If this were reddit, it'd be an ETA from me. Pilots who start training and building their hours now will be among the most competitive. June 2021 - American Airlines Group Inc. dropped about 1% % of its scheduled daily flights for July after a faster-than-expected surge in summer travel led to crew shortages. The airline plans to hire 120 pilots in 2022 Avelos announcement follows moves by fellow ULCC startup Breeze Airways, as well as Now he and the Allied Pilots Association, which represents American pilots, will pursue a third case, a grievance against American. CRJ-Type Rating Bonus, $7,500 for pilots with qualified CRJ-type rating. The testing contractor should have been sacked for asking for a wrong pilot I'd love for other crewmembers to chime in to tell what procedures exist or existed at their airline. Theres still junk everywhere. Only a Professional Airline Pilot knows All the sacrifices made , money spent during all those years of flight training , all those nights away from home and loved ones. And with an industry leading flow-through agreement to American, Envoy pilots have a direct path to a mainline flying career, with no additional interview required. This program is in addition to the $15,000 signing bonus Envoy is offering new pilots today and will make it even more attractive for candidates who want to join the Envoy team. The pilot has blasted the curriculum online, and the Southlake Anti-Racism Coalition which supports it. United and American CEOs say they face a regional airline pilot crunch. Well I find it hard to believe someone with few years from retirement had to do all those to survive. Your feedback is important in helping us keep our community safe. It's been a long year, but we're excited to announce that the Pilot application window at GoJet Airlines is NOW OPEN! Could be any of the cockpit or cabin crew. We worked together with the same CFI and when a disgruntled Ex girlfriend of mine went to a FAA online whistle blowing website made a faults accusation that I was an illicited drug user of 3 different kinds of drugs and proceeded to file it as annonymous user. We are opening our application window again! The employee sought to notify him to take a random drug test after a flight to Miami. Sounds like typical AA management to meinept. It's really hard to tell what happened at the jet bridge. Yawn. Given that he was upset by this misunderstanding, he scheduled tests, including a blood test, which showed he had no drugs or alcohol in his system. But under the circumstances, Ingram declined to be tested. All info is printed on a form with labels to place on 2 specimen cups and a signature is required. Parker said this week that Americans operational issues were rough at the beginning of summer, but that the company had made improvements. Southwest Airlines pilots perform a check in a 737 aircraft before a flight at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, in Washington. The pilot repeatedly and consistently insisted that the notifier had never notified him that he was selected for a random alcohol/drug test. My brother and I grew up around aircraft our whole lives. DeWitt Ingram joined American Airlines predecessor MetroJet in 1999. Quit. As several U.S. airlines announcerequirements for all employees to be vaccinated, Amtrak has announced a similar policy. Surely for something as important as a drug test, the pilot could have said, "we have Mr. John Doe and Ms. Jane Smith here, now, who is the one you are looking for?" But yeah he should have stuck around and just said what's the last name why is no one talking about what's the last name you're looking for that would have cleared it up immediately but that's what happens when you contract out something that's so damn important a drug test is so important You can lose your job and career over this and they contracted out to save a buck It's a shame on American to do that You want to contract out work all the ramp out there and mechanics and all that kind of stuff fine but contracting out someone doing a drug test on someone's career no they couldn't pronounce the name right but he should have said what's the last name you're looking for He took advantage of that but Americans wrong for contracting this out in the beginning, So sad he should get all back pay he is not guilty until proven aa should have better known guy with 21 years service no bed record both aa and drug testing companies must pay up and get his license back. And, as a member of a labor union, cannot understand why,if a grievance was filed, that his his steward, business agent didn't immediately fight for his job and the fact that the test was administered improperly. You can be broke making $250,000 or $25,000 a year. In one, a judge dismissed the FAAs case. And with an industry leading flow-through agreement to American, Envoy pilots have a direct path to a mainline flying career, with no additional interview required. April 2021 - United Airlines on Thursday told staff it will soon begin hiring hundreds of pilots a process the airline was forced to halt when coronavirus pandemic devastated travel demand last year, according to an internal email reviewed by CNBC. Projecting a total of 560 new pilots in 2021. Yes they pronounce the wrong name or said it wrong I think he knew it and just wanted to say hey they said the name wrong I'm leaving I'm going home to the hotel. I've worked for 10 years making less than 100K/year and if i were to quit or being terminated today, could easily live for 4-5 years with no job with my savings before touching my 401K or shares. Other airlines are planning the same type of walkouts. The fault lies with both parties. Monica, 33% of people making $250,000 a year live paycheck-to-paycheck. ATP students can earn $11,000 in tuition reimbursement. It's probably not the first time someone pronounces his name as David and he's probably annoyed by that. American Airlines and the FAA took the position that the pilot was properly notified by a Eulen Aviation notifier and that his failure to complete the test constituted a refusal, Sicher wrote. A company that fired a pilot for refusing to fly in marginal weather conditions, will now have to pay him almost $2 million in damages. They should of made sure they were testing the right pilot! So even if he got his job back he couldn't work without that license. An identity document with photo should also be used in an important case like the one described here. Heres a case where someone got fired over a drug test situation, even though they had nothing to hide. Lets see, no products available for Christmas, no transportation available for Christmas, no medical doctors or nurses available, food shortages, huge inflation, dictatorial leadership, massive gun sales. Marketing cookies are used to track visitors across websites. To be clear, The people hired to make check marks or spelled names barely speak English, and there they're pronunciation and/or or there Capacity to check the correct boxes Can be in question definitely. The contractor is at fault!! August 2021 - Our pilots share a passion for safety, customer service and caring for their crews. Despite that, American Airlines fired him two months later, and the airline requested that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) revoke his license. Avelo Airlines on Thursday announced a significant raise for its pilots, becoming the fourth U.S. carrier in just two months to take action in an effort to attract more pilots The move comes two weeks after Avelo announced it had raised $42 million in a Series B funding round. Several others offered their input. Botched a drug test for Dimwit, picked a wrong time to be ignorant. The FAA took this one individual's report as being truth before even getting a second conformation to validate this accusation. Scares the CR** out of me. Exhausted his 401K and sold cars and shares to survive ? Endeavor provides an exciting opportunity to fly commercial MHI CRJ 200/700/900 aircraft. Hospitals are also at their breaking points. The union for American Airlines pilots is calling on the company to fire the management team members who control the American Airlines operation after another summer when the carrier sometimes struggled with delays and cancellations. How do you know the Eulen employee lied? Roles are available at BOS (Boston), FLL (Fort Lauderdale), JFK (New York), LAX (Los Angeles) and MCO (Orlando). However, with a judge having now ruled on the case, it seems pretty clear that this is roughly what happened. The Atlanta-based carrier will start by adding 75 pilots who have conditional job offers in June through August and will likely increase the number of new pilots by September, John Laughter, Delta's senior vice president and chief of operations, wrote in a staff memo, which was seen by CNBC. 22 years flying for the Airline I indicated a professional experience Pilot. Travel restrictions across the Atlantic should ease in the second half of the year, he said, building on recent market openings in Spain, France, Italy and Greece. Its been a long dark hole in the ground prison - alone and told repeatedly to never tell anyone so as to protect me.. Eulen America should never ask a flight attendant for a "David". He was terminated without cause. It is up to AA to come up w/ procedures that conform w/ labor law which ultimately requires documentation in writing by both parties to move to termination or other serious punishment. The airline, I suppose, could have simply suspended the pilot from flying and then investigated to determine whether the pilot bore zero fault or partial fault in not getting the situation cleared up in the moment. How I wish I could go back to 2000 and live in that picture and the simple life of joy and pride I once had, he said. It's like the Army, it's called SNAFU, it's the norm. He sued the airline and during the discovery phase it came out that another pilot had reported suspicions that he was under the influence of drugs previously. Seems as though the management of this process is very disorganized and that AA instead of canning the pilot should have launched an investigation of how this occurred. At American Airlines, for example, more than 7,200 of the airlines more than 15,000 pilots are set to turn 65 over the next decade. I tested positive for opioids one time because I ate an Everything Spice Bagel the day before my test. The union has a choice; back the unvaxxed pilots and demand an end to vaccine mandates or strike. Using names, let alone on first names, is fraught with the potential mistakes. I would have asked to see the paperwork and the name to verify. Sign-on Bonus, $15,000 with $10,000 after training completion and $5,000 at one-year anniversary. Random testing is enabled through a notification process whereby a notifier directly approaches the pilot and notifies him by name. Mager wrote. The hard working people of America are being treated with no respect or dignity. Before promoting Lakshman Amaranayaka as Vice President of Philadelphia, there . I a civil Court I would go for the Euling employee who surrender the refusal report as well. After 21 years of service he surely knew the seriousness of the situation. The airline says the. Ive lived in Miami long enough to have a decent guess of what actually happened here. Ingram began flying for American predecessor MetroJet, a US Airways offshoot, in 1999. They dont just go to a gate and hope they get the right person. Amtrak is wholly reliant on the government to survive. There is going to be a problem going into the holidays. The contract worker performing the test had allegedly marked him as having refused to take the test. Pilot shortage forces American Airlines to cancel 303 flights over weekend: 3,000 MORE could be axed in July after pilots were fired at the start of pandemic and not enough have been rehired So AA told FAA to take away his license and the FAA was wrong here. In a TikTok video widely shared by. * Failure to maintain flying standards or failure of a . Pilots at American Airlines are pushing back against the Biden Administration vaccine mandate, demanding exemptions and warning the vaccine mandate will lead to travel disruptions. The airline said it will hire 440 hiring pilots between now and the end of 2021, as well as staff within tech operations, at airports and in reservations, so more team members will be in place for the holiday season, Seymour said. Okay, so this whole thing sounds fishy. The airline transport pilot license is required to operate as captain on a "large commercial multi-crew aircraft," according to the Johannesburg School of Flying. Anyone who voted for Dementia Joe deserves what they got. It is not to much to ask! Look at Hostess Foods. In 2000, a ramp agent took the picture above of him at Palm Beach International Airport. A memo from Chief of Operations John Laughter says details will be unveiled March 5 and COVID-19-idled pilots can expect a busy summer of training and refreshers. He was combative with other crew, passengers and airline staff and ultimately failed the drug test and was fired by the airline. Alleged negative voice mails are nothing more than harassment. The pilot should have stuck around and confirmed the true name of the tested, and the testing company should not have jumped to conclusions and deemed it as a refusal to test. The union said there were several more weekends in July and August where there continued to be problems. Nevertheless, Mager wrote, American requested that the FAA revoke his pilot licenses and aircraft ratings. I would not have just kept walking. Stay up-to-date on pilot hiring announcements and what's going on with the pilot job market. Easier to break someone financially than to be right in the first place. Why it so difficult to print out the drug test order and have whoever is informing the pilot hand the documentation to the pilot or flight attendant?