Very nice collection for memory lane. Lynn, what neighborhood or area was it in? Carol K. it sounds like you grew up in that neighborhood. An estimated 70% of all marijuana and cocaine imported into the U.S. passes through South Florida. Lynn J. Always ordered their blackened grouper. In the 1970s mobster Meyer Lansky, pursuing the simple life of a philosophical, Chevrolet-driving, book-borrowing library patron, was often spotted noshing in Wolfie's. . The Cuban bakery has been around for 42 years and has grown to over 13 locations since its humble beginnings in Hialeah in the early 70s. I remember the Royal Castle on 22nd Av. Crandon Park. 90 Westward Dr, Miami Springs, FL 33166 (305) 884-1880 Floridian Restaurant It's hard to believe that an old-school diner would be situated among the trendy restaurants on Fort Lauderdale's. Can you verify this? Hi Donna: I'm beginning to think that 20% of Miami moved to Brevard County and in another year or two I'll be up there hopefully. The name was Lou's Donut Shop. The so-called Greatest Generation and Silent Generation were at retirement age, and the marketing worked, with tons of senior citizens relocating from cold climates up east. You can also support us by signing up to our Mailing List. Bravo, Hi Linda, thank you for your comments and your memories. They left, went and threw their paper routes and when they came back they saw police cars at the Royal Castle. And as we return to more vintage allure, what all diehard fans are waiting for may just happen the relaunch of his original and acclaimed OLA on Biscayne Boulevard. It was on 79th St. at about NW fifth acenue. Thanks. I forgot to add that the restaurant I am looking for info "Irvins" or Irwins" would have been late 1950's or early 1960's. Since 1955 this watering hole has attracted some of countrys most notable musicians, athletes and even politicians, who have walked through its doors to sip on a brew or two. For safe return. The Quinty's Italian restaurant at Hook Square that you mentioned was owned by the dad of two of my buddies (Quentin "Pete" and Eddie Ciolfi) in the late 50's and their mom Agnes is still alive and kicking up in the Titusville area. Does anyone have a photo or postcard or anything for the Rocket Drive-in? 19565 Biscayne Blvd #938, Aventura, FL 33180. This has been one of Miamis top barbecue spots since 1951. I believe it was off the 79th Street causway. A few more old high end joints missing here: The Hasta Manana where Nixon and Bebe Rebzo liked to go, The Lagoon on 79th St causway-first place I saw live lobsters in a tank and next to the Jordan Marsh store on Biscayen Blvd was a place called Coach and Six or something like that. Odd question. It was one of my family's favorite restaurants in the late 1940s to the 1950's. He also helped launch OLA, first on Biscayne Boulevard, then in the Savoy Hotel, before making its last stop at the Sanctuary Hotel. There were some wonderful memories fo rme. : ( Someday someone will contribute the photos you want to see. ( 1940's- 50's) I beleive it was on the corner of Alhambra & Aragon Ave. Thanks! Tom from Hollywood. Oh Don, what joy you have brought all of us "old" miamians!!! judge in the episode Fruit of the Poison Tree. Hoffman's Cafeteria owned by Mr. Beck with the best Mac & Cheese in the world. But then something happened in the seventies, and tourism plummeted. Brenda Fertig Are you the Don Boyd from NMSH? Some of the Hialeah restaurants you mentioned are also mentioned by others in the Hialeah gallery. I ate many "All You Can Eat" Shrimp dinners there but I left Miami in 1970 so it might have moved by '72. You can send me scans of it to OldMiamiMemories@gmail.com if you have it scanned or send me an e-mail if you don't have it scanned yet. But throughout its several owners and even a fire, it still has remained a go-to spot for Miamians to get their bbq on. We had a Sir Pizza in the Cypress Village Shopping Center in Miami Lakes from the 70's through the 90's and I dined there many times and always got a good meal at a reasonable price. They had a color TV at the pool that the adults would watch every night. The Car Hop Drive-in was located on the corner of Flagler St. and Red Road. I can only add what I can find or what people send me. so cool to see some of these, I remember Red Diamond Inn, Red Coach Grill, Juniors at 79 & Biscayne, Sorrentos, Piccolo, Pumpernicks. If you're on the Key and don't go there you've missed some of the best pizza ever. LYNN- you MUST be talking about Marcella's in North Miami, 138 st. & Dixie Hwy. The preschool structure was built in 1991, as a sports bar - "Magics Billiards." anyhoo, thanks again, really fun. In the end, Foxs fell prey to one of the scourges faced by everyone in Miami skyrocketing property values. Free shipping for many products! I think we ate there every meal for a few years - 70 - 72 or so. Hal, welcome and thank you for posting. Thank you for your comments/memories. It's just a different style now.". For great art and culture delivered to your door, visit our shop. I almost didn't have room for their banana pudding, but I always forced myself. Thanks. This blast-from-the-past diner in Downtown Miami has been serving hungry breakfast goers since 1938. And, what about the long, long soda fountain counter at Breeding's Drug Store also tucked in along that University stretch back then? The old sign looked 60s/70s, and at one point had a small waterfall, so it must have been The Cascade for a few decades. - Douglas Percy Bliss on his friend Eric Ravilious from their time at the Royal College of Art Eric Ravilious loved. There was always smoke billowing out of the chimney and the food was fantastic. All great memories of my old neighborhood. I would walk right past it every day going to Little River Elementary School. What location better encapsulates Miamis crime years than the infamous Tommys Deck Bar, known as The Neighborhood Bucket of Blood due to its draw for drug dealers and the resulting violence. I was looking for a good meal before arriving at the stadium (I can only eat so many hot dogs). I was born at Northwest Hospital on 79th street, 1944. Of course, property values arent the only reason why seemingly popular restaurants close. I also wondered if anyone remembers the famous candy store near The Pantry that used to sell hand dipped chocolate fruits. Thanks for the memories. I miss My Miami. I think it was somewhere between 11th and 17th Avenues? We used to call them "Black Anus." . 15 Fantastic Outdoor Patios for Alfresco Dining in Miami. The oldest bar in Coral Gables, established in 1946, this place has something for everyone. We moved to Starke, Fl. But someday someone will do it and they will be posted. Congrats on your retirement too and your move to Vero. Dibb posted this comment in my Guestbook and I am reposting it here in hopes that someone will provide the answer to his question: Don, while visiting this page tonight I spotted the comments about "The Snackery". 1 Point Upvote Downvote * #9 The Marlin Hotel and a vintage Cadillac convertible at kerbside on South Beach, Miami, 1990. I have just been told of your site. You relax in a seat thats striped like a beach chair. Black Ceasars Forge Restaurant at 67th ave and 152 street. Does anyone else remember Bill's Barbecue on S.W. Since the year began, we have seen the closing of newer spots like Porfirio's, Pi Pizzeria, Campania (sister restaurant to veteran Sardiania), Ted's at YoungArts, and Gastropod in Aventura Mall, as well as well-known locations like Khong River House, Oolite, Ticety Tea, and Serendipity 3. Does anyone remember Gus's juice bar on Collins Ave. Used to gothere as akid in the late 50's, early 60's.Best pina colada's! Used to see Mayor of Miami and his wife eating in the Chesapeake Sea Food House. Does anyone remember the Majorette Drive In? My brother Tim will never forget the morning he and another kid went to the Royal Castle on 125th St. and 7th Ave. Miami might be a young city in the grand scheme of things it was only incorporated in 1896 but we still have plenty of spots that have some history behind them that also serve solid food and drink. I was hoping to see a photo of "Frankie's Pizza" which was on the corner of Bird Road and 92Ave. It was on Flagler about 14th Ave. Thanks for a great site.. "Guest" and Miami High Stingaree. Founder Betty Fox named the iconic establishment for her daughter, Sharon, but a mess-up at the printers led to the Foxs Sherron Inn. Also there was a Royal Castle we used to go to on Biscayne Blvd near Cushman School. It was a small place and had two huge plam trees out front on either side of the door. My guess is Oven's, but what do I know? and if there are any real old timers here, you will remember the "Red Barn" located on NW 79th street just before the tracks going into Hialeah. Hes launched various incarnations of D. Rodriguez and De Rodriguez, first at the Astor Hotel and then the Bentley. Hi Joseph, the Sorrento is only missing because I haven't come across any photos of it yet. I grew up on Miami Beach. Remember a little ice cream parlor on Flagler St, I think it was called Puritan. Its not always certain what will become the next new place people will sparknostalgia and fond food memories for decades to come. Joe's Stone Crab, Miami Beach Joe's might be the most famous restaurant in Miami. Does anyone have a photo of the Majorette Drive In Restaurant on 79 St. and 5 Ave? I do remember the Circus themed berger place in Coral Gables on a street that ran perpendicular to Miracle Mile. Does anyone know what happened to a little juicebar called Athens on Collins Avenue, Does anyone remember or better have photos of the nightspot, "watering hole", not a restaurant, that was where the Melting Pot is now, Biscayne south of NE 163rd St? Wow this site is cool do you remember Toby's Cafeteria? Let's hear it for Jack Perry's Sidewalk Cafe on Okee & 17th in Hialeah. I have a couple photos but they are inside shots and dont show much. Also we lived at 1760 NW 77th street till I left for the Marine Corps. The Big Wheel was really, really big as long as I can remembermy parents took my sister and me there as kids on Friday nightsGREAT hot dogs, milk shakes. My aunt lived on LeJuene Rd behind the Lum's,. Post-war vacationers flocked to its beautiful beaches lined with pastel art-deco architecture. Apparently photos of the Majorette Drive In are kind of rare but I keep hoping that someone will provide one. Aside from one location in Nebraska that closed in 2017, all other Lum's had closed by 1983. I noticed that recently the building has been converted into a Fuddrucker's. Edison seniors often ate hot dog and hamburger lunches at the bar's adjoining dining area. Also - I remember Black Caesar's Forge (somewhere in the Gables?) Drop me a line at OldMiamiMemories@gmail.com. Tony Pecorino. Welcome Jim, it's great to hear from you again. I love working with photos for this site and the aviation stock photo site which I started first. My grandfather was owner (I believe) when it had the Lobo Lounge. This would not fly today. Good food. When I had to work at my dad's furniture factory on Saturdays in the early 50s, he would always take me there for lunch. By the late '70s, though, the company had been sold. across the street from Kelly's Drive Inn. Guest (Norman Rose), it's funny that you asked that question because I ran across a 1960 ad for New England Oyster House today and in the ad they list Loffler Brothers Oyster House. auditorium? Does anyone have a picture of the Plantation restaurant or remember the hobby shop where they raced the big slot cars? Funland Park was the name of the place. Would appreciate any help I could get. Maybe the elegant cafeteria was the Biscayne Cafeteria? When someone sends me one I will gladly put it up on the site. Does anyone remember "The Shack" bar that stood on NW 2nd Ave and 58th St, about a block south of the Edison H.S. What a great place to live at the time. What about "Jack & Lou Leonards" La Pena Restaurant on Bird road near the race track.. Thank you whomever. They also had locations on 27th Ave and 183rd St, N.W 103rd St just over the bridge heading into Hialeah, and just east of the 163rd Street Shopping Center. I have a glass from there and would like to know more about it. Did I miss it somewhere? Dave Conger I grew up in this area. Thank you! Guest of 9-JUN-2015: I'm working on the images you sent and they should be up on this page in an hour or two. we used to go there for ice cream cones on friday night. I have been searching for but so far have not been able to find a photo of HOT SHOPPES. As if to signal its catastrophic fall from grace, in 1972 the Democratic National Convention was hosted in Miami Beach; riots and revolt broke out everywhere. I was hoping that one of our viewers would see your comments and respond with some information about the restaurant. That was at the old Steven's market on Red Rd near US1. Car Hop Drive-In, Red Road and Flagler Street, Miami Carino's Casanova's, 740 E. 9th Street, Hialeah Cattleman, The Champion Bar, Bird Road, Miami Charades Restaurant, Coral Gables Charcoal Smoke House, NE 4th Avenue, Ft. Lauderdale Chesapeake Seafood House, NW North River Drive and 36th Street, Miami Chez Vendome Never found anything close. Freedom Tower also illustrates of the changing face of Miami where retirees were being lured in at all costs. I stumbled upon it looking to see if there was a restaurant called The Red Lion, late '60's and early 70's, in South Dade, U.S. 1 and SW 132 Street. Miami Beach Florida. Please, someone tell me the name of the longest continually operating restaurant in Miami-Dade County that is still open today. Thank you for such wonderful Memories. Maybe some day we'll luck out and get a photo of it up on the site for others to remember. We don't want to rely on ads to bring you the best of visual culture. They were waiting for the Miami Herald bundles to be dropped off under I-95 and decided to ride their bikes across the street and get a cup of hot chocolate. I remember when they built Luby Chevrolet on the west side of 27th Ave as well. It is mentioned in comments in other galleries. Miami Herald crime reporter Edna Buchanan claimed that at one point in the 80s, an entire Miami police academy graduating class ended up dead or in jail. A month later, the Republican National Convention was also held there to even more hostile crowds. The one you mention at 79th and Miami Avenue is not in here, only because no one has sent one in and I've been unable to find one. Thanks so much for these wonderful memories! Would love to see a picture of the place. I've been trying to find a picture of the A & W Root Beer stand on South Dixie Highway and 141st Street, Miami. The ebb and flow of Miamis culinary scene means not just navigating a crowded marketplace, but being prepared to pivot as necessary, to stay abreast of trends and know when to move on and start something fresh. I believe she married Howey Schwartz right after high school. Sad that the TWO BEST SPOTS for the North end crowd weren't mentioned - LARRY'S on NW 79th Street, and best of all, the MAJORETTE DRIVE-IN on NW 79th Street, which brings back a lot of memories for a lot of people. W, Sign up for the I have to say when Villa Deli closed on Alton Road and The Rascal House. After graduating from Miami High in '57, went with parents and friends to celebrate at Red Diamond. Thank you Don. I have added it to the "Restaurants gone but not forgotten" page at: I have a matchbook from the Dream Bar.It was at 71 St. on the oceanIn the Johnina Hotel Miami Beach. Its only a matter of time before we see where that leads. One of your early pictures was of a Lum's Restaurant, with the notation help. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for RARE VINTAGE LUAU RESTAURANT TIKI POLYNESIAN 1960s 1970s GLASS, MIAMI BEACH FL at the best online prices at eBay! My dad knew the owners from the restaurant they had in the garment district in N.Y. We went there all the time. Cheerfulness kept creeping in." For those of you who are new to computing and/or surfing the internet, this is just one page of many pages of photos on this site. The 3,400-square-foot restaurant . A buddy of mine (Bob Paget) back in the 70's and early 80's grew up on the Key and he loved Sir Pizza. Old Florida. did I miss it? The Saxony Hotel's Ye Noshery Room for the best ice cream concoctions ever. The restaurant has been around for over 35 years and has menu filled with classic Spanish and Cuban dishes. Jim, I can not verify it because I don't have personal knowledge of what it was in the 60's due to growing up in Hialeah and I don't have any photos of the Douglas Road Coffeehouse on the site or in the backlog yet to be added. What about Santacroce's and Good Food near the U? Question. I better get off here, giving away my agerosalie. I don't have any photos but have fond memories of many,many Places listed. My relatives started Conger Life Insurance and my dad owned Conger Plastering Co. We also, at one time, owned the first house that you came to on the corner as you entered Palm Springs North across the street from the big piece of coral. It was my Dad's and we have none! A bunch of us that graduated in '58 went to the Red Diamond Inn after graduation, sang the school song and just laughed and cried. Things were and are still looking up for Gleasons sun and fun capital of the world. Tommy, welcome to the site. Although it didn't hold up against Chili's, TGI Fridays, and Applebee's, there was a time when it was fairly ubiquitous throughout the states. I have just spent the past two hours going down memory lane. My sister seems to remember the name started with a "T" and I seemed to remember it being a persons name. A place thats been around since 1948, well before its Pinecrest neighborhood was established, has been the spot for families to visit after school for to load up on goods like fruits, salads and its famous strawberry shake.. I was born in 1942 and raised in S. Dade. I think someone else has mentioned the Majorette in another gallery or in the comments galleries somewhere but I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I think Brothers Two was the lounge connected to 6 West in the Springs. At the time I thought this was their big claim to fame (little did I know). South Florida. I think it was right near Pier 1 Imports. Comments from folks who grew up in the 1970's and 80's - click on image to view, VeteranAid.org - valuable information on the little known VA Aid and Attendance Program - click on image to view, Oldest Comments Gallery - August 2006 through July 31, 2008 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, Older Comments Gallery - August 1 thru December 31, 2008 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, Older Comments Gallery - January 1, 2009 thru January 17, 2010 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, OLD Comments Gallery - January 18 thru June 30, 2010 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, OLD Comments Gallery - July 1 through December 31, 2010 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, OLD Comments Gallery - January 1 through June 30, 2011 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, Rogues Gallery - photos of our comments gallery contributors - click on image to view, http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Longest-Sandwich-World-Florida/dp/B01N5IYNDJ, http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article50450690.html, http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/132573219, http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/132573219/original, http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/memories_shopping, http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/91926149.