Conecteaz-te. Claire Fitzpatrick - I wonder if your Mary is one of our family? Govan is served by Govan Subway Station, Ibrox Subway Station and Cessnock Subway Station on the Glasgow subway system. My parents lived at 49 Nethan Street and I was born at the Southern General in 1939. They were both always on a mission to land a. I was born 1951 in 57 Nethan St. We went back to Govan until we could get passage, and I attended Bellahouston Academy. I was the smallest and skinniest one there, there were about 10 of us up on the dyke, they're all shouting at me, so I shouts I'm just gettting ready. Pagini similare. The wine in the Wine Alley nickname was not expensive red and whites like Beaujolais and merlot. It has taken Govan many years to heal and the spare grounds and scars are all nearly gone. It is situated 2.5 miles (4.0 km) west of Glasgow city centre, on the south bank of the River Clyde, opposite the mouth of the River Kelvin and the district of Partick. I didn't open my mouth, I was sure I was going to jail. One summer, I walked to the steamie and managed to get some photos of it. However, the local paper still remained hostile, hypocritical, and unhelpful about the whole idea. I was born Jan 6th 1951 and brought up in flat above Co-op in Helen Street at Govan Cross, I Went to Harmony Row and Hills Trust Primary schools before moving to Pollok when I was 10 .I have 4 brothers Dave, Bobby, Shuggie, all born in Govan ..and Alastair born in Pollok. Sergeant Angus McIvor and constable Bob McDonald were the two cops who had bravely filmed the gang operating from one of the empty flats. Vezi mai multe de la Sunny Govan Memories pe Facebook. This work was focused on parent-child. I lived my early years in Govan on Vicarfield Street opposite St. Gerard's School where many of my older cousins attended, amongst them the McCurrys. Govan feels vibrant again. She got married in 1956 to my grandfather Robert. Good times we had, wonder where they all are now and if they remember me. He and his pals jumped out and I ran back up three stories screaming. I attended Harmony Row School and Hills Trust Primary. I was born in Govan in 1941. My paternal grandfather was an engine keeper for the Phoenix Copper Works, and lived on Brighton Street. I've looked at several sites like this, in search of a memory or a photo and never found a thing - yet it was a Govan institution. Loving your stories, my nana was born at 15 Elder Street, Govan in 1893. I was pretty sad when I left Govan and leaving my family was devastating to me. During my first year studying sociology I came across Damer again in the form of a book that he had written about poverty and deprivation in the Wine Alley but put it to the back of my mind. This company continued until 1965, when it filed for bankruptcy. I remember Vogue would show two part Westerns that made us come back the following Saturday to find out who won the fight, there was also an entertainer named "uncle Harry" who would go up on the stage when the movie was over and ask us to wave our white hankies that we were asked to bring, we would all stand up and sing "Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag" before we left. I try and tell my grandkids what a fanfastic place it was to grow up, no money but lots of pals and never bored. We then moved to a cottage at 112 Golspie Street down the lane, I always remember walking home down the lane, at the bottom of the lane we had a very large wooden gate, which we had to open to get in. You Wine Alley Govan Team were shite begs. Posted on Behalf of Mags Monaghan The "Wine Alley" housing scheme, just off the Broomloan Road, was notorious in Govan and elsewhere in Glasgow as a den of thieves, drunks and drug addicts. See more of Sunny Govan Memories on Facebook. We lived in Linthouse at that time, and then we moved to Shaw Street in Govan. [42] The ships were built by the following companies: Robert Napier & Company, Randolph Elder & Company, Dobbie Hedderwick & Co., Dobie & Company, Mackie & Thomson, Smith & Rodgers, London & Glasgow Engineering and Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., William Beardmore & Company, John Elder & Company, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Eng. So, has Glasgow and other cities always been in the hands of comprehensive planners who take an overview of all the parties involved? My granny Flora McFadyen was one of the oldest and longest residents in the Wine Alley. Again, as happened in Moorepark in the mid 1970s, selective letting policies resulted in the housing of people who suffered not only from economic deprivation but had many related social problems of drink, drugs, and petty theft. 10 Bailey and Hastings, 2004, p. 91 Built in the early 1930s by the 1970s the Wine Ally had developed a fearsome reputation, the council "modernised" it and tried to reintroduce the original n. Situated south of the River Clyde and part of the former Burgh of Govan, it was colloquially referred to as 'Wine Alley' during the mid-to-late 20th century when a housing scheme with a rough reputation was sited there. My mum's brother Spinx (George Hewitt) stayed in Teucharhill and my dad's brother Alex Rodgers drove a milk float. One thing is clear about Woodinville's Woodin Creek, it is very dog friendly! My mother and grandfather raised me alongside my two sisters and three brothers and various in-laws who moved in and out of the home through the years. The authorities plan for the scheme started going wrong when they decided (without consulting the locals who lived in Govan) to house it mainly with outsiders or people who came from areas other than Govan. A friend called called Alison Galbraith. Anyone know the Maguire family from Logie Street and 147 Langlands Road? It was regarded at the time as perhaps the worst slum in Britain, and the people who lived there were treated like vermin by the authorities whom we treated likewise. That is why this Reflection will critically examine the Moorepark experience (within the context of community planning) from before Darners time to the 1970s and the present, where it will question if there have been any real changes in attitudes between then and today or worse, are the same mistakes being repeated, and is proven good work being ignored? I worked in Fairfields in the seventies, does anyone remember the name of the bike shop at the Linthouse end beside the roundabout. the 550 tenancies available, only 33 (16%) were identifiably from Govan itself. Create New Account. 25 bus to the Gladstone Gospel Hall at the corner of Golspie St and Logie St. Seven generations of our family have been born in Govan. They share a rivalry with St Anthony's F.C. 102m The Govan Shed . Charlotte was a sweet pup who eagerly posed for a pic. Used go there for coffee and listen to juke box. [26], Govan's other major shipbuilding firm was founded in the 1860s as: Randolph, Elder and Company, later becoming John Elder and Company. 14 Riverside Changes, 2005, p. 1 Pauline Belkadi: Thanks for the name of the shop 'Bobby's'. What a memory. Renton, WA 98058. Teddy boys jumped on little bike and broke it. Today the area is policed from bright new shiny offices opposite Bellahouston Park on Helen Street. It brought tears to our eyes as they have destroyed a lot of the buildings that should have been refurbished. You have to take the responsibility for some of that.''. I screamed blue murder, he wanted to pull my pants down, but no way I letting him do that to me. Besides, authority cannot work without community and vice versa so there has to be a coming together of both sides and a change of thinking by each about how and why things get done if both parties are to do the right thing. I've been back to visit my relatives several times, but the old places are gone. Police enter in twos with another car on standby. Darner had two criticisms of the improvement programme. Govan is served by community radio station Sunny Govan, broadcasting on 103.5FM to the city of Glasgow and surrounding districts, discussing local issues and providing advice, and with diverse musical output covering soul, hip-hop and reggae. I used to visit your Mum and Dad. Our first daughter was born in 1962, and then when she was six months old, we went to Toronto, Canada. And Linda Paterson, I knew your dad Geordie Paterson, and I think he had a brother Willie. Comedian. I lived in Elderpark Street and the Wine Alley. Clyde News. 100m Freshair Salon . With five suspected drug dealers in the cells and 200,000 worth of heroin seized, it had been a very productive day for the police. Very happy days. Jackson retired in 1992 after a distinguished 32-year career with Burnside and his cohorts still behind bars. 199310 Scottish Charity No. 124m Freshair Salon . Every Christmas I was given a big pile of unsold comics and one day the woman gave me a bob - 12 big penny coins that filled my hand. People were in tears when that shop closed and I'm really delighted that I played a small walk-on part in a Govan institution! You can make a complaint by using the report this post link . I had to leave early as I was going to a residential orchestral camp but I was so heartbroken at the shop closing, I didn't want to miss a moment of that last day. Thus, Damer saw that this decision of loading more of the socially deprived into an existing deprived area, only added to Mooreparks growing problems of joblessness, poverty, depression, drunkenness and crime. Does anyone remember Reid the baker who was in Neptune Street around about the 1950s? We had and still have such a loving family even although our parents and grandparents have passed, but Govan made us that way because it was a great community and you knew who your neighbours were. Listing details information provided by Stephen Redding. I might have served you in the shop in the early 70s as a teenager. My father was called up at the beginning of the War and my mother died when he was in Europe, I went to live with my grandparents on Wee Logie Street, I was 2years old and spent the rest of my childhood there until 1956 when I came to Canada with my grandmother to live with my uncle (my mum's young brother). Unresolved: Release in which this issue/RFE will be addressed. Somewhere along the Govan Road, there was a sweet shop with a train set that would go around all the big jars of sweets. First of all, they invited local and international designers to attend a three day team design effort to come up with imaginative projects that would redress the problems they had in their 3-storey, concrete block houses.7, The group then lobbied the City Council, the Scottish Office and finally Westminster, until they were eventually given the go-ahead to revamp one of the old blocks of 6 houses into model they desired. Wine Quality 4/4. I would say about 90% of them never stayed in the winey they probably stayed kintra st, briton st, brighton st or clynder st etc but never the winealley. These incomers earned the contempt and resentment of some disgruntled local inhabitants, who focused on problems of anti-social behaviour in the estate, which acquired the nickname "Wine Alley". Owned by Harry Knop in the 40s. Glorious Govan. Log In. Resources were stretched as detectives dealt with high levels of violence including murder - much of it drug related. Conecteaz-te. Of all the memories that I hold dear as a very young boy, was the guy pushing a barrow every Saturday afternoon selling bags of whelks! He liked nothing better than tothrow empty drugs packets out of his window and watch a crowd of desperateaddicts scrambling for them. Ah! I remember the following; sitting on the kerb at the mouth of the close playing with the soft tar on the road in the summer with a stick and my mum using melted butter to get the stains of our clothes, playing peever with a shoe polish tin, making up little shows which we all performed in the high backs ,climbing over the pailings, and often getting our knees impaled on the sharp spikes at the top, playing balls against the wall singles and doubles too, climbing onto the steamie roof and jumping onto the pub roof dodging the barbed wire spikes, playing ropes singles and doublers, and swinging on the telephone wires above the low back steamie roof, Summertown Road steamie and baths. [19] It was removed in the early 19th century and Reid's Dyeworks was erected on the site. James and Catherine moved to Govan from Ireland and lived on Victoria (Neptune) Street and Langlands Road. 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday . Her name was Mary Murray. Hi, I'm not from Govan though my grandparents, Janet (Nettie) and David Finlayson owned a newsagents in Neptune Street in the 1940s/1950s. My grandparents lived opposite and I remember being sent down to McGunness for an ounce of tobacco for my grand dads pipe. In fact, within only two years of the first tenants moving into their 7-storey deck-access blocks (in 1972); they had begun to complain about severe dampness, condensation, and water penetration. Looking at Govan when it was a village, and film of how it grew into a town, we felt very proud of being born and raised in dear auld Govan. I personally don't have any memories of Govan although I'm sure I visited family who were living there many years ago in the late sixties. I remember Betty McPhee, Margaret Liversidge, the Gourlay brothers and Brian Wilson.We lived in the top floor for a few years and the moved to bigger flat on first floor with a bathroom. Govan borders the district of Ibrox, home to the Scottish football club Rangers F.C. My sisters were Elaine & Brenda and my brother was George. Our father would be home right before we had to leave for school, so he would take us as it was not safe to cross Langlands Rd., Unfortunately, the week before Christmas in 1943, our grandfather was killed by a bus right at the Vogue cinema. Govan was then one of 15 police divisions in the former Strathclyde Police and accounted for 20% of all homicides in the force. I was born in Neptune Street, Govan in 1947, my father was Paddy Kelly and my mother Annie, my elder brother was Dick and my younger brother Brian. I was born in 1950 and brought up in Govan in the Moorepark housing estate or the Wine Alley, as it was commonly known. [12], There is an oddity whereby part of eighteenth-century parish of Govan (which was in Lanarkshire) is counted as being within Renfrewshire. It was massive and as a wee girl it was magical, as well as Dands I also remember Bobbys on Langlands Rd, I got my Bay City Rollers trousers there, lol, there was loads of shoe shops in Govan, one was called Cherries I'm sure, also a massive one can't remember name, just round from Burleigh St, a few years back it was Bradley's chemist. This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network. In June 2004 the Scottish Parliaments Public Petition Committee heard presentations from Govan Community Council about the failure of local regeneration policies in housing, poverty and unemployment.