Feel the feelings Let them out, give your anxiety, your worry your darkest fears a voice. You may not need an appointment for routine labs or images that are part of preventive care. What do you say when someone is ill? And I'm here to assure all naysayers out there that not only did time stand still, but it even moved backward. What to Say to Someone With Cancer. Thank you, Loving God, because I know you will spare my family and me the stress of a severe diagnosis. I heard you're doing well after surgery. Follow-up labs can tell you whether your strategies are working. B | Get off your butt and put your body in motion. Do Make a promise to yourself to use your time (however much that is) to bring joy, lightness and ease into your life and the lives of all those you touch. Meals for the family are tremendously helpful, so is offering to take their kids to events, school, or have them over for sleepovers, she said. How do you help a cancer patient emotionally? On the other hand, do you have "toxic friends" who you may need to bid goodbye. However, we sometimes blow fears out of proportion, so its important to put worries back into perspective. She recommends this visualisation technique: Picture the worst-case scenario as if youre watching it on a movie screen, then shrink the picture until its tiny. That's true when you're first being diagnosed with something or managing a chronic illness. Delaney KP, Hanson DL, Masciotra S, Ethridge SF, Wesolowski L, Owen SM. Gracious God, I will not fail to ask for your abiding presence. Even with potentially serious chronic conditions, like HIV or diabetes, once your condition is under control, you may only need to see a healthcare provider once a year. Take action from that place of power. Heck, even tell the person you arent sure what to say, but you just want to say something and let them know you are there for them. Please surround me with your grace today as I await favorable test results. Thank you, {{form.email}}, for signing up. Did you know prayer works in everything we do? A note to remind you that I love youand I hate that youre sick. Nor do they want your overly optimistic, if well-intentioned, prognosis, stressed Rachel Soper Sanders, who suffers from chronic pain after a serious car accident. Loving Father, you know how anxious I get about doctors offices, hospitals, needles, and medical equipment. Ask God for the courage to go through the rigorous procedures involved with medical tests. If this includes you, then you may enjoy some of the memes about waiting for test results weve gathered below. They can also leave a voicemail message requesting you return the call.. Help them to get comfortable (have them sit or lie down). We like things to happen when we want it to happen and even how we want it to happen. Amen Lord, Jehovah, God of Healing, we come to you today, to lift up a dear one who needs You. Also, imbue the medical personnel who are conducting his tests with the wisdom that comes from you. Also cut out alcohol as it can not only cause mood swings, but can also prevent you from starting immediate treatment if needed.. Impatience is perhaps the first emotion many people feel when awaiting a diagnosis. James 1:5 NIV If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. Marley Hall is a writer and fact checker who is certified in clinical and translational research. I hate it when my favorite people get hurt. In some cases, testing once or twice a year may be enough. F | Don't ask what you can do to help or say, "Let me know if you need anything." I also ask that you fill them with wisdom to fit all the pieces together. Read our, Typical Emotions You May Experience When Waiting for a Medical Diagnosis, How Anticipatory Grief Differs From Grief After Death, What to Say When Someone Is Diagnosed With Cancer, The 5 Emotional Stages of People with Cancer, Help Your Child With Autism Manage Emotions, Best Ways to Support a Partner During Menopause, What Can You Expect During End Stage Lung Cancer, How to Disclose Your HIV Status to Someone You're Dating, How to Explain Your Cancer Diagnosis to Loved Ones, Stress effects on the body: Nervous system. , You Choose When to Talk about Your Cancer. what to say to someone waiting for medical results 65. Dear Heavenly Father, as I sit waiting for my chest x-ray results here in the hospital, may the findings turn out good, even better than I expected. May they vanish from my body and bloodstream without any trace in the mighty name of Jesus. Waiting for medical tests and waiting for medical test results is a very scary process, especially when you are waiting for a diagnosis for a problem or when a check-up or routine screening has uncovered something of concern. Most people dealing with a serious illness have a medical team, Pandapas said. You can find even more stories on our Home page. Do you have good friends who help you be hopeful that you can spend more time with? You may even become impatient with yourself, wondering why it takes so long to do some of the activities you have always done. Mary Kugler, RN, is a pediatric nurse whose specialty is caring for children with long-term or severe medical problems. Amen! You have to read the situation and the person. A 2013 US study found that Googling symptoms can trigger worries about medical bills, job loss and disability before a diagnosis is even made. Thinking about you today and hoping its a good one for you. What do you say to a friend who has cancer? Wishing you all the best for your upcoming exams. All times AEDT (GMT +11). Youve waited long enough, and today is finally the day you get your results. It is always okay to ask your healthcare provider about treatment guidelines or why a test or appointment is being recommended. A cortisol blood test is one of the most commonly used blood tests. It allows us to deal with situations out of our control with more grace and less stress, which is good for our mental health as well as our physical health. With uncertainty about your health issues, you are left in limbo, not knowing exactly how you should feel because you don't know what you're facing. Stress can lead to comfort eating as adrenaline causes blood sugar surges that make us crave sweetness. Sometimes a consult with a pain doctor is needed to help manage pain. What to Say to a Cancer Patient "We'll get through this together. Have you ever had a chance encounter with a stranger who showed you some unexpected kindness or help at a moment when you really needed it? Waiting for test results related to your cancer, chronic illness or other condition can be nerve-wracking (to say the least). 64. If you feel like talking Im here to listen. You may feel uneasy and apprehensive. what to say to someone waiting for medical results . Say Get Well in a way that's personal and sincere. 'In situations where you have no control over the outcome, the best thing you can do is try to take your mind off it,' says Cohen. You may have just been tested too earlybefore your immune system had a chance to make the antibodies the test detects. Also, try to be comfortable with silence: Don't try to fill blank space with chatter about yourself, she said. If this is something you or a loved one is experiencing, consider . Everyone is so different and a one caring response is not easy. Do you need to allow people to help you with things like cooking, cleaning, or errands? Gracious Lord, may no fluid be found in my body or anything out of place so that I will not need any medication. Everyone will deal with their illness or condition differently. Lord, I ask for your guidance as I receive my MRI results today. If you decide to use the healthcare provider, be sure to review the Terms of Agreement included in any intake documents you sign. When someone you love falls ill, gets in an accident or receives a scary health diagnosis, its never easy. You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! So do something for . In some cases, a visit isn't all that necessary. Jeremiah 29:11 NIV For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Ask them to name five things they can see, hear, smell or feel. That's because your health is at risk in some way. What were they not telling me? 1 Peter 5:7-8 NIV Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. If faced with bad news, I decided to create a to-feel list rather than a to-do list, Ashwood says. , I wish I knew what to say, but I care and Im here for you. In other words, pitch in by taking an everyday task off their to-do list, like doing the laundry, making sure the bills are paid and mailed off or having dinner ready for the family. Most insurers don't want to pay for unnecessary appointments. Stick around in the long run, and try to send a text every so often or another way to show you care, like a gift certificate for a massage or manicure. I receive grace to remain steadfast and patient as I expect the test results in the mighty name of Jesus Christ. Its vital to seek help and not suffer in silence.. Thank you, {{form.email}}, for signing up. Some people cope by educating themselves and trying to map out their possible options; others reduce stress by distracting themselves with whatever feels fun; still others find the waiting time provides the opportunity to assess . I have faith in you!" This is a good message to use when your friend is scared or doubtful. Even with certain types of cancer, including colorectal and prostate cancer, there's little evidence quarterly visits reduce your relapse risk or improve survival rates. Our website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Dont Stop planning for the future, including what youre going to have for dinner. May the MRI be successful. Ultimately, your greatest weapon against waiting-time anxiety is distraction. 10 Ways to Reduce Anxiety While Waiting for Imaging Test Results 1. Psalms 84:11 NIV For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. May the sound waves produce the needed images and make them perfectly clear. Youve been going through a really tough time. Whether you're living with cancer or looking at a possible diagnosis, standing by for test results can be overwhelming and stressful. Also, try to be comfortable with silence: Dont try to fill blank space with chatter about yourself, she said. During the seminar, Freiberg said "that many people who are prescribed the medication . Hence, every believer can lay claim to divine healing at any point in time and have it. In the end, may I have every reason to glorify your name. what to say to someone waiting for medical results If you feel yourself getting anxious or impatient, take a few slow, deep breaths to stay calm. Focus on positives For diseases that can relapse, such as cancer and some autoimmune diseases, regular visits may help identify and treat a relapse early. Sitting in silence may just be what the other person needs. Family Practice. >>How hashtagging can improve your health. Sanders, who wasnt able to leave her house due to her accident, said that her relationships and social life suffered. Therefore, I ask that you calm my nerves and overwhelm me with your peace throughout this standard procedure. Psalm 56:3-4 NIV When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Exercise to Ease Restlessness in Your Brain. Hence, I need to undergo some medical tests to ascertain if Im ill. You still have to pay for it, but it can save you a lot of time. Paying more attention to the present moment - to the way you feel, your thoughts and to the world around you - can improve your mental well-being and help alleviate worries. nag your doctor. I pray that the medical test results I expect will bring tears of joy down my cheeks. Get better and get back to your amazing self soon! Check out the dos and donts below: No matter what, it is better to say something than nothing, said Ron Blake, a sexual assault survivor who has experienced post-traumatic stress disorder. Sometimes you need to know more than just "positive" or "negative.". I also request that you guide my radiologist to make wise and knowledgeable suggestions to my doctors afterward. Ask what kind of friend the person needs you to be. I also ask that you imbue him with your wisdom to know how to diagnose me correctly. A lover of hip hop music, hot sauce and kimchi, she lives in Maryland with her husband, two dogs, cat and feisty 2-year-old daughter. Here are 13 words of encouragement for sick person who just got diagnosed with a terrible illness: 01 "I know you are worried about this diagnosis, but you've always been a fighter. Remember when you went in for a biopsy, CT scan or blood work a few days ago, and your doctor said shed call back with the test results, but she didnt? People with serious health issues on their minds may feel unable to make simple decisions, even decisions as simple as what outfit to wear. 2010;132:531-42. Mighty God, please help my doctors discover the right path to take on this issue. Frustration and Other Common Feelings While Waiting for a Diagnosis. When first meeting with a new healthcare provider, ask about their test result policies. I pray that you help me never to have any reason to undergo anyone again. First, don't be hard on yourself. Her work has been published in medical journals in the field of surgery, and she has received numerous awards for publication in education. I reject every conspiracy of darkness to make me shed bitter tears concerning my health in the name of Jesus Christ. Thank you for your strength, love, and peace. So, I ask that you strengthen me for whatever will emerge from it because I know that whatever it is, you will handle it. review your medical insurance and other financial resources. In fact, according to the charity Breast Cancer Now, some people say waiting for test results is the most worrying part of the entire process, regardless of the outcome. Y | That could be from an infection, cancer, genetic disorder, or chronic health condition like heart disease or type 2 diabetes. True love is bound to reveal itself sooner or later.". Breast cancer survivor Elissa Ashwood coped with her diagnosis by breaking it down into chapters. When the test results finally emerge, may they calm my nerves with overwhelming good news. Tell your story to us, no matter how big or small. I can hear it has been really hard for you to share, thank you for sharing. Can stress affect your blood test results? Copyright Aleteia SAS all rights reserved. If you're struggling to find the right words, here are 12 kind things to say to someone with cancer: 1. When theres a chance you may have a serious illness, the delay between testing and diagnosis can be torturous. When we're more aware of what's going on around us and inside us, it also helps us notice signs of stress and anxiety and helps us deal with them better. Compassionate God, I commit myself and the tests my doctor recommended I do to your loving hands. If you're taking medications for chronic conditions, regular in-person appointments can help you stick to the treatment regimen. How long does it take to get the test results? It is only natural to worry. My husband was very adept at helping my friends navigate my ego.. Step 1 - Sit in the tension, don't go into desperation. 6. Sometimes it can be satisfying to take charge of a situation, solve a problem, and move forward. June 14, 2022; pros and cons of stem cell therapy for knees . Words Of Encouragement For Exams - Myilibrary.org. Lord Jesus, may the x-ray be clear and easy to read and understand. I ask that you make the findings of my biopsy tests conclusive and nothing to worry about. Thank you, Most Loving God, because you are the one who specializes in turning bad reports into good ones. Instead, offer words of encouragement instead like, You are amazing, she suggested. they changed their minds and began to say that he was a god. Waiting for the results of a medical test, or for a diagnosis, can be agonizing. Posted on May 28, 2021 by May 28, 2021 by The irony is, I just wrote a post on how to help an anxious child at the doctor's office . Prayer for a Good Result God my Healer, as I'm awaiting the results of this lab work, I ask in the Name of Jesus that I receive a positive report. The longer you have to wait, the more you may have ups and downs, and the more intense your feelings may become. Verywell Health uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Time is not a thing that passes it's a sea on which you float.. Please, Lord, make my diagnosis a good one. Many healthcare providers use online medical chart systems. American Psychological Association. If results are normal, they can usually be delivered via a phone call, letter, or secure message. D | As access to testing has increased and roughly 750,000 Americans per day line up for a Covid-19 test, wait times for results have climbed up to two weeks in many places and more people than ever may be experiencing test result anxiety, experts say.. Here's what they had to say: 1. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The first steps may be to use diet and exercise to stop or reverse the disease. Get off your butt and put your body in motion. Even before the pandemic, plenty of studies have found that waiting for medical test results can cause . Increased optimism while we are waiting for important news can decrease our stress. I miss having you around. 6. Your email address will not be published. What do you say to someone waiting for medical results? Do all test results require a follow-up appointment? Having the medical system constantly making you wait for thingsappointments, tests, consultations, resultscan make you feel like throwing in the towel and just giving up. May the result be one that will gladden his heart when it finally comes out to the glory of your holy name. It can divinely turn around the outcome of any medical test when waiting for the result. Please fill me with the grace to be open to any path you decide to take me after this test. Marley Hall is a writer and fact checker who is certified in clinical and translational research. Test result communication in primary care: clinical and office staff perspectives. Dear Father, though this is a routine check I must have, there is always a possibility that a serious medical condition may be discovered. H | encouraging texts to send someone waiting for test results, 15 Powerful Prayers for Marriage Anniversary, 15 Helpful Prayers for Marriage Reconciliation, 50th Wedding Anniversary Prayers: 17 Inspiring. This is a real game-changer. If any foreign material is discovered in the test results, remove them with your miraculous hands. I am sending you all my love and prayers during this time. If a bill is higher than expected, confirm your insurer has been billed correctly. what to say to someone waiting for medical results. I was always doing just fine until someone asked me that question, then Id be holding back tears, she said. One of the best things you can say is, Just tell me if you want me to leave or stop askingyou cant offend me! Winawer suggested. Hope you feel all the love surrounding you right now. We know you will again come out with flying colors. Whats The Difference Between Dutch And French Braids? They can do so as long they verify it's you. You're the bravest person I know, and you will get through this. They're an easy way to view detailed test results as soon as theyre available. Holy God, you know how I have been feeling for some time now. U | Pandapas said her friends continued to show their support throughout her recovery, which was very meaningful to her. Understand that being there for someone with a serious health issue is a balancing act, Pandapas said. I bind every spirit of error in any stage of the procedure. Sign up for our Premium service. nag your doctor, Test result communication in primary care: clinical and office staff perspectives, To track the progression of a chronic illness, To check for a recurrence of a treated condition. Heres how to pray for good medical test results: If you are ready to offer some powerful prayers for good medical test results, you are definitely in luck, as I have provided 17 powerful ones in this article. The shortest waits for specialist consultations are in Quebec (7.2 weeks) while the According to Jocelyn Charles, Chief of Family and Community Medicine at Sunnybrook, a physician who orders a test for blood, ultrasound, X-rays or CT scans is responsible for responding to abnormal results and communicating these results to the patient. Higher levels of cortisol would indicate higher levels of stress. Dont feel bad if you have to cancel plans at the last minute, I understand. In addition, may my blood count come out normal or be in a range with a straightforward course of action. Dont Make promises to whatever higher power you believe is in charge of the universe that you will make wholesale changes to your life in return for a good test result. Then I will either wait for him or forget him." Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept And then consciously choosing to change and release them. 8: Be alert and of sober mind. A | Dont ask what you can do to help or say, Let me know if you need anything. Many people will never ask for help even though they need it. And by faith, I declare that it shall not prosper. Abba Father, I ask that you give my doctors good news to relate to me over all the tests. In some cases, they want you to get tested a week or two before an appointment. When you're waiting for medical test results or a potential diagnosis for yourself or your baby, time seems to come to a grinding halt. Please give me positive ultrasound test results. They may need support, but they may also be so tired of being a patient.. 2023 Dotdash Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Basically, waiting is not fun. For more information, see also the related pages. Everlasting God, I surrender my anxiety to you and ask that you overwhelm me with your love.