Follow along on Goodreads, or keep in touch via the newsletter. Theo and Alicia both feel that, despite his sympathetic gestures, Jean-Felix loves Alicias artwork more than he loves Alicia herself. How responsible is Christian for Alicias fate? The Silent Patient was his first novel and was the biggest-selling debut in the world in 2019. I totally agree though, theres so many great twists and endings that people are so used to at this point, writers/screenwriters are going to have a harder and harder time trying to surprise people. This can be distressing for both you and your loved one. Our best tutors earn over $7,500 each month! The basic frame of a really good plot is there, it just needs some retooling and a little more nuance. Im U.S.-based (and dont really know anything about the field) but based on some other facts presented in the book, its pretty clear he wasnt trying to be all that accurate on the medical side of things unfortunately :(. The way the content is organized, A concise biography of Alex Michaelides plus historical and literary context for, In-depth summary and analysis of every chapter of, Explanations, analysis, and visualizations of, Michaelides was born in Cyprus to a British mother and a Greek Cypriot father; he was raised at the height of the conflict known as the Cyprus Problem, in which the Turkish government occupied the northern part of Cyprus. As for the writing, its passable, but leaves a bit to be desired. NEED BOOK CLUB IDEAS? Its boring if seen from the perspective of high drama. Like Alicia, Lisbeth is a brilliant and misunderstood woman, largely because of her tight-lipped response to trauma. The beginning is fine but part way through the movie there are more violent scenes, including one that alludes to intended rape. My reason for coming here is to understand the plot. Characters are attacked and killed by these vesps. His debut novel, the psychological thriller The Silent Patient, is a New York Times and Sunday Times bestseller, with over three million copies sold. Theo then tracks down the other man (Gabriel), who turns out to be married to Alicia. Did I miss something? The silent patient was also nominated for good reads choice awards best debut novel. The Andrews eventually find their way to an isolated farmhouse, but when the mother survives a vesp attack, Hugh and Ally must go to the nearest town to find antibiotics. In essence, she was giving away the only evidence she had. Described as "the perfect thriller" by none other than A. J. Finn, Alex Michaelides' debut soon-to-be-a-blockbuster-movie novel, The Silent Patient - is mainly narrated from the first-person perspective of Theo Faber, forensic psychotherapist. And its being doing really well sales-wise, so even an imperfect book can be enjoyable and sell well :). Great review! I am wondering about Theos reaction to being caught. - Classic PS Games Get Trophies - The Future of Silent Hill (Podcast Episode 2022) Parents Guide and Certifications from around the world. :-), Thats great to hear, thank you! The Silent Patient. Alicia Berensons life is seemingly perfect. What did you think about the ending? Theo learns about Alicia's prior trauma, stemming from her mother suicide attempt with a young Alicia in the car. (including. Use our guide to find dozens of book ideas for your group. Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who has waited a long time for the opportunity to work with Alicia. When Theo finds out Kathy is cheating on him, his therapist, Ruth, counsels him, Real love is very quiet, very still. Six years later, Theo takes her case over from another doctor, Christian. Flashback of a car accident that left one of the lead characters with hearing loss. Jean-Felix and his art gallery profit from the notoriety surrounding Alicias paintings after she murders her husband. Keep reading if youve read the book, but have questions! The Silent Patient is told with two intertwined timelines. I got a little confused and partially understood the twist but was left with an itch I couldnt scratch. Althoug. Yeah its a bit confusing. The characterizations of characters are sort of silly or cartoonish (the motherly female doctor! In what situation might this judgment be fair? The Silent Patient is one of the most compelling psychological thriller releases in recent memory. For people who like their thrillers-slash-mysteries to have twisty plots and straight-forward writing, this recent release is one to look at (but with some big caveats, so keep reading). Try audio books for free for 30 days. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Discuss what Alicia meant by saying that both her husband and her father killed her. I had just finished reading The Silent Patient and was a bit confused so I was looking for some answers. The role of forensic psychotherapist doesnt exist in the UK. This kind of The Silent Patient without we recognize teach the one who looking at it become critical in imagining and analyzing. Do you think he was a good therapist, his preoccupation with Alicia notwithstanding? Basically, do you have any ideas as to why did Alicias trauma manifested itself as muteness? Can you love one and not the other? Why did Theo tell everyone that Alicia didnt overdose herself, instead murder was attempted on her? Gabriel chose Alicia, but instead Theo simply untied Alicia, and left. English is the primary language of this book. Alex Michaelides. I read this after finishing the book, coz as rightly pointed, there r several flaws that leave question marks Your explanation of the symbolism with snow in the end of the story was a good closure for me as I was left craving for some sort of final confession/regret from Theo in the end. Username is too similar to your e-mail address. He could have destroyed it at any point, and she would be left with nothing. What Theo did not foresee was that Alicia would go ahead and shoot Gabriel. Basically, Theo shows up to the house with a knife, but ends up with Alicia/Gabriels gun. It loudly announces that Alex Michaelides is a new talent in the field of psychological thrillers." :) I still enjoyed it, so I think it just depends what type of reader you are! Created by the original team behind SparkNotes, LitCharts are the world's best literature guides. I guessed the ending but I still thought the book was great. Great review! but later, alicia said in her last entry, that after theo pulled the trigger alicia noticed shes still alive and theo was still there-pointing the gun to the ceiling. The Silent Patient Alex Michaelides 64-page comprehensive study guide Chapter-by-chapter summaries and multiple sections of expert analysis The ultimate resource for assignments, engaging lessons, and lively book discussions Access Full Guide Download Featured Collections Loyalty & Betrayal Horror, Thrillers, & Suspense BookTok Books Why does Theo need to kill Alicia? You'll also get updates on new titles we publish and the ability to save highlights and notes. If your club has picked it for your next meeting, never fear! Stephen Fry described it as "absolutely brilliant", and it took home the Goodreads Choice Award last year for best mystery/thriller. Then, Alicia shot Gabriel. Keep blogging! The silent patient is the debut book of Alex Michaelides. The Silent Patient Kindle Edition by Alex Michaelides (Author) Format: Kindle Edition 190,927 ratings Editors' pick Best Mystery, Thriller & Suspense See all formats and editions Kindle $12.99 Read with Our Free App Audiobook $0.00 Free with your Audible trial **THE INSTANT #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER** This is a very good review. It feels a little pretentious to call it a diary. Everyone must read it. Highlighted by 11,087 Kindle readers. Can we ever be free from the trauma of our pasts? But while The Silent Patient only offers us a glimpse of the power of an intelligent and passionate woman like Alicia, Lisbeth Salander allows that power to come to full fruition. Gripping monster movie has lots of tension, some blood. Did you gravitate to one story over the other? Many deaf actors have expressed anger at Kiernan Shipka's performance as a deaf teenager, and criticized director John Leonetti's praise, in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, of Shipka's "flawless" signing, and her "almost innate sense of what it's like being a deaf person." Find related themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and more. Alex Michaelides' debut psychological thriller, The Silent Patient, tracks one woman's act of violence against her husbandand of the therapist obsessed with uncovering her motive. How did the setting influence the mood of the entire book? Who are the main characters in The Silent Patient? February 5, 2019. This book is available in more than 116 different editions. Theo went to Gabriel's house to show what a dirtbag Gabriel was. I was perplexed by the main mystery in this book and felt that gratifying oh man, I should have guessed this! feeling when it was revealed. The Witch Elm surrounds readers in a cast of characters who are at once familiar and vaguely sinister and invites everyone to join in investigating these characters. This Study Guide consists of approximately 69 pages of chapter summaries, quotes, character analysis, themes, and more - everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of The Silent Patient. After obtaining an M.A. I actually just picked up Little Fires Everywhere yesterday, so now Im even more excited to get started. What do you think is the appeal of these movies? She was one of the famous painters of the united kingdom she maintains her lifestyle on a very high level. Studypool is not sponsored or endorsed by any college or university. It's a little rough at times -- the CGI isn't the best, the movie's biggest antagonist isn't given enough time to fully develop into someone the audience can root against, and some of the tropes (the baby who can't be shushed, the dog who won't stop barking in a world where silence is the only way to survive) come off as more than a little stock -- but The Silence still manages to deliver a great deal of suspense, as well as a willingness to fully explore the large and small ramifications of the cataclysmic event in question. Did Alicia ever feel like a fully developed character to you, or was she only ever seen as someone that other people (men) wanted to influence or control? Uma Epiphany. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Discuss the setting of The Grove. #1 New York Times bestseller. Because Theo knew that Alicia didnt kill Gabriel just because she came to know that he had affair. (And I wouldnt be surprised if the potential to sell movie rights is why the publisher picked it up in the first place.) So what? And Jean owns the gallery Alicia's art was in, but she had been planning on switching galleries.) A famous painter. Thats my take, anyway! I am just curious. Then sign up for TBR: Tailored Book Recommendations! If you enjoyed the enigmatic character of Alicia Berenson in The Silent Patient, you will be sucked in by Gone Girls Amy Dunne. Why did you initially believe that he wanted to work with Alicia? Why did Theo kill Alicia? -Graham S. Budget cuts loom over the Grove, the fictional psych ward at the center of, Would not have made it through AP Literature without the printable PDFs. So then Theo is caught by the police for injecting Alicia and putting her into coma?? Antagonists try to kidnap a teen girl with the intention to rape her because she is "fertile." So , Theo wanted to find out how her childhood had shaped her. Powered by WordPress. In other words, each time there was a traumatic event in her life an alter would be born and thats how they all came to be But then I thought Theo was the main character (or the host). Our, "Sooo much more helpful thanSparkNotes. As a result, it relies frequently on one of my least-favorite literary/mystery tricks to try to sustain the readers interest as it doles out background information it throws out ominous-sounding narration to reassure you that things will get interesting later (I didnt know then that it was doomed, I would later realize my mistake, etcetera and etcetera). The book ends with the police coming to question him about the diary. During Alicias trial, Theo notes that while everyone was talking, writing, arguing about Alicia, at the heart of this frantic, noisy activity there was a voida silence. What risks do you think we take when we generate noise around a silent figure? Meanwhile, Theo discovers his wife Kathy is cheating on him. (1) to parallel the novels heroine & events with those of the play Alcestis, and he put his finger to his lips, telling me to keep quiet and then he kissed me ever so gently. Gabriel is a renowned photographer, while his wife Alicia is an upcoming painter. He ends up killing her to protect himself, but not before she writes the truth in her diary. Unbeknownst to Theo, before Alicia blacks out from the drugs, she wrote down her story and revealed Theo as the masked intruder. Click below to download the silent patient PDF free & read online: Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Im hopeful the movie will be really good and gone girl-esque, though it might take a while for it to come out. If you chose to provide an email address, it will only be used to contact you about your comment. Michaelides always knew that he would write Theos part of the book first, and then add Alicias diaries in at the end. Families may want to discuss Shipka's performance, and their thoughts on non-deaf actors playing deaf characters. Theo doesnt actually shoot anybody, but Alicia is horrified enough by Gabriels answer that she shoots Gabriel. The price of her art skyrockets, and she, the silent patient, is hidden away from the tabloids and spotlight at the Grove, a secure forensic unit in North London. I really loved your way of writing and yet to fully visit your blog which I am sure would be amazing!. I hesitated to purchase the book as one has only so much time to read in any given day. (This article contains affiliate links. Sex & Nudity A mentally ill man forcibly kisses a mentally ill girl. Teach your students to analyze literature like LitCharts does. Send any friend a story As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. Joel. What happened when police confront theo?? Although, how much does the fact that there are so many thrillers that we become desensitised to the shocking reveal? The following characters are featured in The Silent Patient: Alicia Berenson Alicia Berenson is one of the protagonists of The Silent Patient. hmm it may have some things wrong with it but it still sounds interesting to me, I love thrillers and psychological thrillers! When a family learns that their teen daughter has a boyfriend, the tween brother says that "she just wants to bone him." Thanks. If you enjoyed this guide and are looking for more great book club selections, check out ourbest book club picks of 2020! Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. Her enduring silence turned this story from a commonplace domestic tragedy into something far grander: a mystery, an enigma that gripped the headlines and captured the public imagination for months to come. the arrogant doctor who gets in the way! In his mid-30s, frustrated with the logistical hurdles of a film production process, Michaelides switched gears, writing and publishing. Discuss how Theos relationship with Alicia compares and contrasts with Theos relationship with his own therapist, Ruth. I have a website too and I am also writing a review of The Silent Patient. Recently the title caught my eye. Fighting with rifles, guns, knives, spears, crowbars, punches, kicks, headbutts. Which he eventually found out(about her father saying Alicia would have died instead of her mother.He had killed Alicia , just like what happened with Alcestis). Compare and contrast Theo with his coworkers. (Theo asks Gabriel which one of the two of them Gabriel or Alicia he should shoot, and Gabriel chooses Alicia). Alicia Berenson and Theo Faber is the main character of the silent patient. My reading time is so limited. haha yeah, I think thats probably the way to go for this one. The Silence (II) (2019) Parents Guide Add to guide Showing all 14 items Jump to: Certification Sex & Nudity (3) Violence & Gore (4) Profanity (2) Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking (1) Frightening & Intense Scenes (1) Spoilers (3) Certification Edit Sex & Nudity None 83 of 116 found this to have none A woman is taking a bath but only her leg is shown. Are you in need of an additional source of income? The way that it plays out in present day is that after many months of therapy, Alicia finally talks. The book ends with the police inspector showing up to confront Theo about Alicias admission. It is relief? The Silent Patient is a heart-stopping debut thriller about a woman's brutal and random act of violence against her husband - and the man obsessed with discovering why.