In 2018, Miller beat retired Air Force Col. Kim Olson by 5 percentage points. Policy: Christopher Nelson Caitlin Styrsky Molly Byrne Katharine Frey Jimmy McAllister Samuel Postell padding-bottom: 8px; Agriculture Commissioner Candidate Political Party Popular Vote; Hank Gilbert: Democratic: 323,517: 71.14%: Koecadee Melton, Jr. Democratic: 131,218: 28.86%: Map Key > 50% > 60% > 70% left: 0px; text-align: left; | The winner of this election will lead the state agriculture department that juggles several tasks. } text-align: center; } else { padding-bottom: 0px; Texas Agriculture Commissioner election, 2018, Texas down ballot state executive elections, 2014, United States congressional delegations from Texas, Michigan's 3rd Congressional District election, 2022, Michigan's 8th Congressional District election, 2022, New York gubernatorial election, 2022 (June 28 Democratic primary), United States Senate election in Nevada, 2022, Texas agriculture commissioner official website, District of Columbia (board of education), State executive officials serving in home states, Ken Carbullido, Vice President of Election Product and Technology Strategy, https://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Texas_Agriculture_Commissioner_election,_2022_(March_1_Republican_primary)&oldid=9068795, Pages using DynamicPageList parser function, Pages using DynamicPageList dplreplace parser function, Conflicts in school board elections, 2021-2022, Special Congressional elections (2023-2024), 2022 Congressional Competitiveness Report, State Executive Competitiveness Report, 2022, State Legislative Competitiveness Report, 2022, Partisanship in 2022 United States local elections. } color: #888; Republican incumbent Sid Miller has served as Texas' Agriculture Commissioner since 2015. The results have been certified. } Texas Commissioner Of Agriculture Race Your Vote Counts Ballot Information 2022 General Election Candidates All Democratic Candidates Green Party Candidates Independent Candidates Libertarian Candidates Reform Party Candidates Republican Candidates Susan Hays Democratic Party Sid Miller Republican Party Incumbent Go here for more Voter Information. } letter-spacing: 0.03em; --link-color: #337ab7; .results_table { background-color: #db0000; } display: inline-block; Most recently, Hays has found herself practicing law in the cannabis industry she helped write and pass the Texas hemp legalization bill in 2019 and was named Texas first cannabis super lawyer by Thomson Reuters. padding-right: 62px; Miller says he still has some projects he wants to . } Both found success, Hays as a lawyer fighting for human rights and Miller as a national award-winning rodeo cowboy. No not always. } Millers family has been ranching since the 1700s, and Miller continued that tradition himself. }) As Agriculture Commissioner, I have made it my mission to make efforts to open new market throughout the world to Texas agricultural products. And the rural lifestyle is increasingly endangered. Billings said it would be greatly beneficial if the agriculture department would help with that mission. .votebox { A modernized state agency that serves all Texans This morning, I gave Susan Hays my congratulations on being the the 2022 Democratic nominee for Texas Ag Commissioner and offered to lend a hand on the issues that have been left behind by Sid Miller and Republican leadership. margin-top: 0; .votebox_legend { height: 56px; } Hays promotes practices that could help farmers boost their crop growth even with Texas changing climate. White has relentlessly attacked . } Procedures for Candidates, 2019-2021. margin-bottom: 25px; The other piece of it is once we have stable cannabis markets, which were a long way from right now, its one of the few crops somebody can make a living off of on an acre or less.. For more on how we identify key messages, click here. People . "[10] According to The Dallas Morning News, White "[ran] on a platform of organizational reform," and "promised to make the pricing process for permits and licenses 'methodological and transparent. Whether its Miller or Hays in office next year, the agriculture commissioner has several issues coming to a head. ", Sources: State and local courts | .inner_percentage.Republican { Youll need one of seven types of valid photo ID to vote in Texas: A state drivers license, a Texas election identification certificate, a Texas personal identification card, a Texas license to carry a handgun, a U.S. military ID card with a personal photo, a U.S. citizenship certificate with a personal photo or a U.S. passport. Of these 206 counties, one is located in Texas, accounting for 0.5 percent of the total pivot counties.[20]. chevron.addClass('fa-chevron-up'); height: 22px; margin: 0; font-size: 1.25em; '"[8] The editorial boards of the Houston Chronicle, the San Antonio Express-News, and the Austin American-Statesman endorsed White in the Republican primary. } } margin: 5px 0 5px 0; She became the trope of a rural kid moving away in search of a better living. overflow: hidden; Have a link to White's campaign ads? This option is fairly limited in Texas. .percentage_number { Texas general election, 2006: Texas Commissioner of Agriculture [4] Party Candidate Votes % -Republican Todd Staples 2,9573,406 60.82% -Democratic Hank Gilbert 1,738,456 35.79% -Libertarian Clay Woolam 164,035 3.37% Turnout 4,856,266 2006 2002 2000 2000 References [ edit] ^ "Looking back". } width: 65px; "[3] Miller said, "I'm a political maverick Im the only statewide [official] that actually holds liberals accountable and the establishment Republicans accountable. margin: 0px 10px; Miller received 59% of the vote, followed by White with 31% and Counsil with 10%. }); } chevron.removeClass('fa-chevron-down'); .inner_percentage { Miller and Hays can both legitimately claim deep Texas roots, but from those roots grew two diametrically opposed politicians now running against each other for Texas agriculture commissioner. font-weight: 100; Ban foreign government ownership or control of our farm land. margin-top: 1em; .votebox-scroll-container { .multi-survey-header { Biden jumbled pieces of at least three actual occurrences into one story of . "[17], Smith's attorneys said, "We are disappointed that the Travis County District Attorney has obtained an indictment against Todd Smith, he was not invited to address the grand jury. But she wants to legalize the crop for more than the popularity points. What was your very first job? Coronavirus; Courts; . } State Board of Education (15 seats) This is the first time Hays is running for elected office, but shes no stranger to Texas politics. The three Republicans running for Texas agriculture commissioner sat next to each other behind a wooden table, all wearing white cowboy hats, none of them speaking. The current head of the executive branch in the Lone Star State is Gov. The section below details election results for this office in elections dating back to 2014. As I have said before there is very little within agriculture that I have not raised or grown. display: inline; The two towns have rich histories in farming and ranching. Agriculture commissioner Three Republican candidates are on the ballot: State Rep. James White, incumbent Sid Miller, and a rancher named Carey Counsil. Public Lands Commissioner padding-left: 0; Voters can still cast votes without those IDs if they sign a form swearing that they have a reasonable impediment from obtaining a proper photo ID or use a provisional ballot. The results have been certified. Democratic primary for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture Kim Olson advanced from the Democratic primary for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on March 6, 2018. Federal and state primary competitiveness, Ballotpedia's Election Analysis Hub, 2022. complete the Ballotpedia Candidate Connection Survey. b. .image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper .image-candidate-thumbnail { $(".collapse-all").on('click', () => { Eric Gay AP Sid. Tech: Matt Latourelle Nathan Bingham Ryan Burch Kirsten Corrao Beth Dellea Travis Eden Tate Kamish Margaret Kearney Eric Lotto Joseph Sanchez, What's on my ballot? But now that Republican incumbent Sid Miller and Democratic challenger. Counties | display: table; He represented District 59 in the Texas House of Representatives from 2001 to 2013. padding: 5px; ", Counsil said, "I'm a rancher. background-color: #db0000; .indicate_scroll { Sid Miller (R) completed Ballotpedia's Candidate Connection survey. vertical-align: middle; Interns wanted: Get paid to help ensure that every voter has unbiased election information. c. pluralistic society. When asked about spreading fabricated photos or supporting stories on social media, Miller said he doesnt personally post everything to his accounts and that his team takes posts down most of the time when they find out theyre false. More:Elections 2022: Meet the 8 candidates running for Austin-based Texas House District 51. As of December 9, 2019, if candidate for Democratic or Republican Party Nomination. padding: 15px 15px 5px 15px; What were the early voting start and end dates? .mw-content-ltr td.votebox-results-cell--text, chevron.addClass('fa-chevron-up'); And she believes she would be the right agriculture commissioner to see the task through. .panel-group .panel {margin-bottom: 10px;} Kim Olson advanced from the Democratic primary for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on March 6, 2018. font-weight: bold; Texas Agriculture Commissioner election, 2022, Ballotpedia's Candidate Connection survey responses. [He] also said his office made the cost of a hemp license clear and told stakeholders the department would not limit the number of licenses it would provide. font-size: 12px; $("div.vis_widget_title").click(function(){ .race_header.republican { width: 90%; .race_header { .votebox-scroll-container { As Agriculture Commissioner, I have made it my mission to make efforts to open new market throughout the world to Texas agricultural products. .votebox-covid-disclaimer { Candidates are asked three required questions for this survey, but they may answer additional optional questions as well. The department is responsible for promoting "production agriculture, consumer protection, economic development and healthy living. And she wants to pay farmers for putting carbon back into the soil to combat climate change, which can be done through methods like cover crops or conservation tilling. } The coalition also has hotlines available in other languages and for Texans with disabilities. a[aria-expanded=true] .fa-chevron-right { Three candidates are running in the Republican primary election for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on March 1, 2022. Source. Greg Abbott, who is seeking his third term.He won the Republican primaries in 2014 and 2018 handily with over 90 percent of the vote each time and won the general elections with . Research: Josh Altic Vojsava Ramaj overflow-y: hidden; And I also enjoy getting my boots dirty and getting out there.. Biography: Counsil earned a B.B.A. Ballotpedia features 395,557 encyclopedic articles written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and researchers. .inner_percentage.CrossFiled { display: inline-block; .results_row td:first-child { After graduating from college, he served in the U.S. Army and was assigned to the Berlin Brigade. Any and every one of those controversies that have been falsely charged against me or some of my people have all been disproven. .non_result_row { width: 100% !important; overflow-y: hidden; State executives | Miller was first elected agriculture commissioner in 2014 and won re-election in 2018. .race_footer { U.S. President | | Tech: Matt Latourelle Nathan Bingham Ryan Burch Kirsten Corrao Beth Dellea Travis Eden Tate Kamish Margaret Kearney Eric Lotto Joseph Sanchez. } For more than two decades, Republicans have held every statewide office. [] More recently, a political consultant for Miller was arrested in an alleged scheme to sell access to hemp licenses, which are issued by Millers department., Miller responded to accusations: The penalty is the process. .results_table_container { .question-scroll-container { The Right to Farm Act - limit the ability of state or local government to determine or define what is farming and what is agriculture. letter-spacing: 0.03em; padding-bottom: 5px; Incumbent Sid Miller defeated Kim Olson and Richard Carpenter in the general election for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on November 6, 2018. But some of Millers political actions have caught the publics attention, and not in a good way. What characteristics or principles are most important for an elected official? if ($(this).next('.vis_widget_table').is(":hidden")) { Hays has questioned Millers ethics and pointed to his controversies. This was a crucial moment in my public service during the pandemic when these facilities had critical shortages of supplies and medicines. b. environmental movement. He's running on a platform focused on the next generation. A group is formed to address environmental concerns in Texas, and it competes among other groups to influence policy. Both grew up managing cattle at their families ranches. He has devoted his life to promoting Texas agriculture, rural communities, and the great state of Texas. } A committee supporting his run for . Any edits made by Ballotpedia will be clearly marked with [brackets] for the public. issues. in political science from Prairie View A&M University and a doctorate in political science from the University of Houston. } } Tuesday, January 31, 2023, Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller reminds the Texas agriculture community that the USDA's deadline to respond to the 2022 Census of Agriculture is Monday, February 6th. During my six terms in the Texas House of Representatives, I served on the House Agriculture Committee, including a term as Chairman of that committee. The Sunset Commission said were the best state agency theyve ever reviewed, so I think that says a lot about what weve done and what type of people we have with the TDA, Miller said. WFAA, "Republican candidate for Ag Commissioner says political inexperience is an asset," January 16, 2022; YouTube, "Get to Know Carey Counsil," October 4, 2021; YouTube, "Protect Texas Farmland," September 10, 2021; Carey Counsil 2022 campaign website, "Priorities," accessed February 9, 2021;The Dallas Morning News, "Carey A. Counsil," accessed February 9, 2022; LinkedIn, "Carey Counsil," accessed February 9, 2022. Throughout her legal career, Hays worked at the Texas Legislature and the Texas Supreme Court, and co-founded Janes Due Process, a legal services nonprofit for pregnant minors. height: auto; width: 35px !important; Click the links below to see endorsement lists published on candidate campaign websites, if available. FARFA's endorsement does not constitute an endorsement of the candidates' positions on other issues. --view-more-background: #f0a236; Contact our sales team. Hays, 53, is a headstrong Democrat and an equal rights lawyer who has fought for women, pregnant minors and Texas voters. background-color: #f4f4f4; He is not guilty of these charges and intends to vigorously defend himself against the allegations made by the Travis County District Attorneys Office. .votebox-results-cell--check { display: block; To notify us of polls published in this election, please email us. top: -5px; .image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper .image-candidate-thumbnail { .answers-container { background-color: #6db24f; } performs organic certifications. } I'm a 'non-fiction' kind of guy! background-color: #dac113; margin-bottom: .75em; Comptroller margin-right: 10px; } The current Agriculture Commissioner, Nikki Fried, won her race by less than one-tenth of a percentage point in 2018, becoming the first Democrat elected in a statewide race since then-President . What was the last song that got stuck in your head? "A father of four, USAF vet, college professor, Texas Aggie, and 5th generation rancher,. } What kind of skills or expertise do you believe would be the most helpful for the holders of this office to possess? The average age of a Texas Farmers and rancher is now 59 1/2, we must prepared the next generation and attract our best and brightest to agriculture for the future of our state and our nation. } width: 50px; } Agriculture Commissioner, Republican primary Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller. (Candidate photos) ORLANDO, Fla. - With Nikki Fried running to be Florida governor, the. Disclosure: Texas Tech University and the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center have been financial supporters of The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan news organization that is funded in part by donations from members, foundations and corporate sponsors. border: 1px solid #999; Incumbent Sid Miller defeated Carey Counsil and James White in the Republican primary for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on March 1, 2022. Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, a two-term Republican, is facing his toughest reelection cycle yet as he stares down challengers from the left and right who are calling his ethics. Las mejores ofertas para 1968 Foto de prensa de Millard Neptune, candidato republicano a comisionado de tierras estn en eBay Compara precios y caractersticas de productos nuevos y usados Muchos artculos con envo gratis! Click here to contact us for media inquiries, and please donate here to support our continued expansion. .panel-body p { max-width: 75px; Incumbent Sid Miller defeated Kim Olson and Richard Carpenter in the general election for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on November 6, 2018. Miller banked $48,000 during the same period. padding-left: 20px !important; .non_result_row th { background-color: #6db24f; Attorney General font-size: 12px; color: #fff; Ireson, 34, is a Brazos County cattle rancher. Adrian Billings is a family medicine physician with Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, where he focuses on reviving rural health care. I was eight years old. I do not consider it a struggle, but I was raised by a single parent and I have had to earn everything in my life, I worked my way through college and began work when I was 12 years old. Railroad Commissioner. Biography: White earned a B.A. I also have duties involved rural hospitals and clinics and rural healthcare. } As agriculture commissioner, Simpson has pledged on his campaign website to protect the Second Amendment. font-size: 0.9em; Conservative Values, Respect for Taxpayers, appreciation for all disciplines and aspects of our agricultural economy. [12], Southern Methodist University political science professor Cal Jillson said, "Miller has the facility for getting himself in difficult situations, in terms of both politics and ethics. } Sometimes a business point of view is best when a government post or agency needs a fresh point of view. .votebox-results-metadata { } background: #4c4c4c; What areas of public policy are you personally passionate about? How to vote | Nationwide, there were 181 Retained Pivot Counties and 25 Boomerang Pivot Counties. border-bottom: 1px solid grey; color: #888; ", Counsil said, "We're seeing a lot of foreign countries coming in and buying our farmland up. margin: 8px auto; The anecdote about Biden's uncle resembles one that the then-presidential candidate Joe Biden told in 2019 about a Navy lieutenant who allegedly refused to accept a Silver Star for his bravery in Afghanistan. Public Lands Commissioner Ban foreign government ownership or control of our farm land. } If you are a candidate and would like to tell readers and voters more about why they should vote for you. letter-spacing: .04em; .answer-photo-container { by Jayme Lozano z-index:1; The results have been certified. Operations: Meghann Olshefski Mandy Morris Kelly Rindfleisch [More] Tuesday, January 31, 2023, Annual challenge builds connections between students, fresh local foods, and Texas farmers and ranchers . } } letter-spacing: .03em; }) .race_header, .results_text, .results_table_container, .votebox_legend { deadline: N/A In-person reg. If the candidate disagrees with an edit, he or she may request the full removal of the survey response from Ballotpedia.org. margin-right: 10px; font-size: 12px; width: 100% !important; I was 12 years old and I was paid to load water melons. Elections in 2023 | font-weight: 300; Transparency USA tracks loans separately from total contributions. This election was a battleground race. According to Barragn, Miller's Republican and Democratic challengers "[called] his ethics into question while linking him to the recent arrest of [longtime political consultant Todd Smith]. If so, was a photo or non-photo ID required? } if ($('#vis_xs_indicator').is(':hidden') || typeof VoterInfobyState_Resized!='undefined') { As the elected leader responsible for the school breakfast and lunch programs in our public schools, we serve over 5 million meals each school day. President Kennedy's assassination. border-radius: 7px 7px 0 0; The tables below contain data from financial reports submitted to state agencies. The Dallas Morning News said, "Counsil is running on a platform of water rights. For more information on candidates in the 2022 Texas gubernatorial race, visit panhandlePBS.org/lwv-forums or vote411.org. Apply today! An egg farmer by trade, Simpson is worth $22.5 million. [1] If no candidate had received more than 50% of the vote, the top two candidates would have advanced to a primary runoff. align-items:center; chevron.removeClass('fa-chevron-up'); font-style: italic; margin-bottom: 0px; max-height: 580px; .inner_percentage, .inner_percentage.Nonpartisan, .inner_percentage.Independent, .inner_percentage.Constitution, .inner_percentage.unknown { Former President Donald Trump (R) endorsed Miller on December 30, 2021, saying, "Commissioner Sid Miller is a terrific Agriculture Commissioner for the Great State of Texas! VoterInfobyState_Timeout_jquery = setTimeout(widget_load_check_jquery, 500); } text-align: center; This includes spending by political party committees, super PACs, trade associations, and 501(c)(4) nonprofit groups.[14][15][16]. } .votebox-results-metadata-p { background-color: #003388; .votebox-scroll-container { top: -1px; Incumbents are bolded and underlined. border-radius: 50%; People want people that are in the industry. border-top: 1px solid #ddd; margin: 0 !important; Eric Gay / AP Photo The best-known, and best-financed, Republican candidate to succeed Bush is State Senator Dawn Buckingham. background-color: green; margin-top: 16px; } Public policy. 100% remote. Contact our sales team. Their visions of government, and its responsibilities, are worlds apart. Early voting begins on Oct. 24 and runs through Nov. 4. position: relative; I am passionate about making a difference, "helping the little guy" and serving the needs of my fellow Texans when government overreach becomes a problem in their lives. } widget_load_check_dom() Theyre trying to confuse people with misinformation, paint me in a bad light. --highlights-background: #d3d4d5; confirm with your county elections office, Texas Secretary of State's helpline at 1-800-252-VOTE (8683), who has acknowledged humans have contributed to climate change. "[5] The Texas Tribune's James Barragn wrote, "Miller said voters should reelect him because he has a track record of successfully running the agency."[4]. .results_row td { margin: 0px 10px; Performs consumer protection inspections, in charge of scales and weight measurement calibration standards for Texas. Youll want to check for open polling locations with your local elections office before you head out to vote. } If available, this section includes links to online resources tracking satellite spending in this election. When pressed on how to get to the root of the problem, Miller said there wasnt much to do. .mw-body #mw-content-text th.votebox-results-cell--text { display: inline-block; .image-candidate-thumbnail { Counties | Ballotpedia is the digital encyclopedia of American politics and elections. Incumbent Sid Miller defeated James White and Carey Counsil in the Republican primary for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on March 1, 2022. Source. Part of my mission in this office is to expand this industry to help create new businesses, new jobs and career in agriculture. } Early voting ended Nov. 4. position: relative; .outer_percentage { .mw-body #mw-content-text .votebox .race_header h3.votebox-header-office-name { School districts | width: 350px; Oct. 20, 20225 AM Central. Its not going to work. Republican primary election Republican primary for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture Incumbent Sid Miller defeated James White and Carey Counsil in the Republican primary for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on March 1, 2022. margin: 0; font-weight: 300; } } if (chevron.hasClass('fa-chevron-up')) { Detailed state-level election results in the state of Texas for the 2014 Agriculture Commissioner Democratic Primary Election. Susan Hays defeated Ed Ireson in the Democratic primary for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture on March 1, 2022. padding-top: 3px; Background. Lieutenant Governor Texas voted Republican in all six presidential elections between 2000 and 2020. widget_load_check_jquery(); margin-bottom: -2px !important; Click here to contact us for media inquiries, and please donate here to support our continued expansion. White highlighted his experience serving six terms in the Texas House of Representatives, saying he stood strong for border security, reducing taxes and spending, and eliminating the bureaucratic red tape that harms small business and economic growth., White said he was an early supporter of President Donald Trump, serving as an advisory board member for Black Voices for Trump., White said he would restore integrity to [the Texas Department of Agriculture]. He said Miller had a culture of incompetence and corruption and ethical compromises., Sources: font-weight: 300; . U.S. Congress | Youll want to check for open polling locations with your local elections office before you head out to vote. Click on a candidate's name to view that candidate's responses. He later turned it into 20 world rodeo championships. } color: #888; .question-scroll-container { Were all voters required to present ID at the polls? . Do you value our journalism? .votebox-results-cell--check { } } }); To read this candidate's full survey responses, click here. } This information was current as of the candidate's run for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture in 2022.