No, we do not currently use psychometric testing at any stage of the application process. Competition and regulatory work includes merger control, regulatory and court proceedings, issues arising from sector-specific regulation and utility procurement issues. If you are studying a non-law degree, you can only apply for a place on our vacation schemes from your penultimate year onwards. 31/03/2023 Mayer Brown . Contentious construction work involves the resolution of disputes while non-contentious work involves drafting and negotiating contracts and advising on projects. If you studied a non-law subject at undergraduate level, you have to complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Law (PGDL) at BPP. Sponsored by Charles Russell Speechlys LLP. Sponsored by Mills & Reeve LLP. Insurance and reinsurance is an integral part of commercial activity throughout the world. Weinvite up to 15% of applicants to attend one of a series of assessment days held at the firm's office to assess them for a place on one of our vacation schemes. They didnt overtly say it would be about competencies but that was all it was, essentially. Assessment Centre: 1 partner interview - standard interview, cv and commerciality based. Can I send in a copy of my CV and a covering letter instead of completing an application online? Macfarlanes is unlike any other law firm. Macfarlanes LLP 20 CURSITOR STREET LONDON EC4A 1LT England Email firm Visit website 020 7831 9222 020 7831 9607. No. For the vacation scheme and training programme, you need to complete an online application form. Do you have a multifaith prayer room at your office? As a trainee you could be working on major corporate transactions or commercial litigation, and then working for private clients on their most sensitive affairs. The network runs awareness-raising events and socials and provides networking opportunities both internally and with our clients. Partners and Graduate Recruitment were both friendly and made sure that I felt comfortable on the day. Please describe the interview process at Macfarlanes. Be the first to find this interview helpful, Why Law Why Macfarlanes Describe a time when you overcame an obstacle, "Are you resilient?" During your SQE preparation course you also attend regular seminars from the firm, where you hear from associates in our practice areas. Type: Company - Private. Applications open on 26 September 2022 online via our website and will close on 27 January 2023. Glassdoor has millions of jobs plus salary information, company reviews, and interview questions from people on the inside making it easy to find a job thats right for you. Then if successful invited to an assessment day. These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. I wrote my letter to the wrong person and I think this was the single biggest challenge to my chances of success. Copyright The Student Room 2023 all rights reserved. Keep up to date with our free weekly newsletter, 2.1 anticipated or achieved (mitigating circumstances are taken into account). SQE 1 tests your functional legal knowledge through multiple choice questions. There was a group negotiation task (nothing too complicated, just about showing you're a team player) followed by a written assessment (quite time pressured) and then an interview, half of which is a case study and the other half about you. As a vacation scheme student, you will gain an insight into life as a trainee over the course of two weeks. We always recruit trainees from both vacation schemes and direct training programme applications in each intake. A long application followed by an assessment centre with a case study, partner/associate interview and written exercise. Leadership skills. Autumn 2023 - Sit the SQE1 examination. Our DAWN network focuses on ensuring the whole firm is more confident in its understanding of disability. Revenue: $100 to $500 million (USD) Competitors: Unknown. Some are necessary to help our website work properly and can't be switched off, and some are optional but support Bright Network in building and running the service that we provide to you. a group negotiation exercise with five or six other candidates, assessed by an associate. Vacation students will spend each week in a different practice area working alongside a partner,solicitor ortrainee. Real Estate. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information. Get in touch with the Early Legal Careers team Thats what our team is there for, we can answer your questions and give you guidance with your application. We talked to the person next to us and then relayed to the rest of the room. I applied for a Training Contract directly. Use The Beginners Guide to a Career in Law to get started, Find out about the various legal apprenticeships on offer and browse vacancies with The Law Apprenticeships Guide, Information on qualifying through the Solicitors Qualifying Exam, including preparation courses, study resources, QWE and more, Discover everything you need to know about developing your knowledge of the business world and its impact on the law, The latest news and updates on the actions being taken to improve diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, Discover advice to help you prepare for and ace your vacation scheme, training contract and pupillage applications, Your first-year guide to a career in law find out how to kickstart your legal career at this early stage, Your non-law guide to a career in law everything you need to know about converting to law. Litigation and Dispute Resolution. Written was the hardest as it was very time pressured but even though some of us didn't finish on time, still managed to get onto the scheme. We partner with a number of organisations to attract and develop trainees from a wide variety of backgrounds. Has anyone here used upwork or other similar sites to initially get work to start your own firm? Macfarlanes receives another 1,200 applications from candidates gunning directly for its training programme; the application form is the same one that is used for the vac scheme. Spring 2024 - Sit the SQE2 examination. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Candidates can choose whether to join the evening social events, and we try and make sure that events are not centred on food or drink. We discussed this in the interview for about ten minutes, and it seemed mostly about how we thought about the issue. All content 2023 Macfarlanes LLP. Social Welfare Solicitors Qualification Fund returns for second year in a row. There is a great deal that students can be doing while at university to position themselves as candidates that are serious about a career in law: Attend in-house events We have a real range of events that will allow you to meet our team, gain key insights into our work and build essential skills. The policy includes commitments covering our carbon footprint, emissions, waste, recycling, sustainable procurement of goods and services, office greenery and support for the legal sustainability community. A vacation scheme at Macfarlanes is a two-week snapshot into life as a trainee. Application details and method of selection. Sponsored by Gowling WLG (UK) LLP. Additional support and extenuating circumstances, Meeting Macfarlanes Campus events, workshops and fairs, Your choices regarding cookies on this site. Application blind and contextual recruitment. The early legal careers team will arrange a follow up call with you before your assessment day to discuss any adjustments further. Firm Profile . The partners make no attempts to intimidate or cross-examine you. Commercial property lawyers work on a wide range of transactions including offices, retail developments and infrastructure projects. We do, however, give feedback to candidates who attend an assessment day. Great teamwork skills, which include being kind and considerate. Anyone else 12 weeks behind with uni work? The Ultimate Job Interview Preparation Guide. What is it really like to work at Macfarlanes? You can apply for the training programme in your penultimate year and onwards if you are a law student, or in your final year and onwards if you are a non-law student. Find out how Macfarlanes LLP is adopting the Solicitors Qualifying Exam. While many of our practice areas can be found at other firms, the mix cannot. Solicitor | Macfarlanes Profile Highlights: State school educated Ethnic minority First generation lawyer Contact Me To contact me, please login or register Profile: I am a Solicitor at Macfarlanes LLP having qualified in September 2017. Explain how a current issue affects our firm. It didnt matter too much what result you achieved; it was more about how you did it, whether you were calm, cordial but stern, didnt back down too easily, showed commercial awareness in your arguments, and reached an agreement before the time limit. The first was a written exercise which was a letter to a client, a holiday company, about a complaint they had received by one of their customers, with advice about their liabilities and what they should offer by way of compensation. For the online form its essential that you have really researched our firm consider why you want to build your long-term career at Macfarlanes specifically. Please get in touch with the Inclusion and CSR team if you have further questions. Try to draw in to the discussion someone who hasnt been saying much. Can trainees get involved in pro bono work at Macfarlanes? I have some legal work experience already, and I know I want to be an associate at Macfarlanes. What to expect from Macfarlanes LLP training contract. This employer has not claimed their Employer Profile and is missing out on connecting with our community. Trainees get in involved in our St Hildas legal advice clinic on a rotational basis. Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers. Private client solicitors looks after the affairs of individual clients and trustees, managing all aspects of their personal wealth. Interview. Do you only accept applicants from certain universities? good questions and very good structure . The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2023 Watch, Got offered Clifford Chance interview etc and don't know what to do lol. Do you cover the cost of travel for candidates? Should I apply for a vacation scheme first or just apply for the training programme now? Unless the partner proves you're wrong, this is usually an opportunity for you to hold your ground and show your potential as a future lawyer, Written exercise suggested to be the hardest because of time constraints. Who can apply for the training programme? Yes, we run a first year insight scheme annually in the spring. What makes a successful application to Macfarlanes, Pride Matters: Striving for actual equality, Types of student and graduate opportunities, Essential cookies to make this website work, Third party cookies used for personalised ads and content, Well rounded candidates who will make the most of our varied seat rotations, Great teamwork skills, which include being kind and considerate, Resilience that is a grit and ambition to take on real responsibility, Brain power clever people who can think on their feet.