Its too damn hot. So question one, what is it like to be in the audience? 7 min read. THE MASKED SINGER: The Snow Owls in the "The Masks Return" season four premiere of THE MASKED SINGER airing Wednesday, Sept. 23 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. What went into making the costumes on The Masked Singer? Laura Herzing: Silver Spoon is a performance capture studio. The audience aren't wearing masks.' Kyle Montplaisir: No, I dont want to get into any conspiracy theories, but the truth about all of these types of reality competition shows days its up to the producers discretion, you know, Im sure especially when youre dealing with really big celebrities and things like that. John: There was an episode on this season where that happened, Adrianne, and they didnt vote because the participant took off their mask at the end of the episode. First tweet: Watching The Masked Singer and someone please explain how so many people are in the audience with no masks. Season 6 will mark the first time in more than a year that The Masked Singer has had a live-studio audience. Like the Poodle before him, we have another dog breed-inspired costume. Or, have they been hypnotized somehow? For the first time since the pandemic began, a live studio Ive only spoken about it in vague terms, and Kyle also told me that he thought that opening shot with the dinosaur and the UFO is weird. Is masked singer filmed in front of a live audience? And they have a panel of judges speculate about who they are the whole time. And you can kind of just use a predesigned light in unreal engine to light them, but it wouldnt look quite right. Adrianne: Coming up, Billy answers the questions he just asked. Billy: So, in the game engine, you need virtual lights to be able to see stuff like, you know, in the real world. Adrianne: I know theyre going to win an Emmy for it. Billy: Yeah. No, this is the remaining big question. If you love The Masked Singer - then, you will love THE MASKED DANCER! John: And then you see who the celebrity is at the end of every every episode, one celebrity gets voted off and then it reveals who they are. And you can hang out in our discord with the rest of the community. So we did a lot of those shots, which again, talking about this, make sense how they can put together audience shots just based on what they have from previous season, because a lot of that they have a lot of extra footage there. Billy: So I actually asked all of you to watch the first episode of the most recent season of The Masked Singer. WebReality TV shows have been popular for several years, and that popularity is only continuing to grow. Billy: Presumably, but we dont know what theyre using that for. Heres how it works. A new feature called the "Take It Off Buzzer" will be introduced. In the world's new normal, it could be comforting to see signs of how things were filmed pre-pandemic. Yeah. Offers may be subject to change without notice. However, you know how I was saying, like, the audience cutaways always do feel staged and fake? Nickon Mirsepassi: Youll get access to our bonus podcast, Overunderstood. He grew up on Star Wars, DC, Marvel, and pro wrestling and loves to discuss and dissect most of it. Uh, youve been involved in both theater and television production, you know, about the like protocol that lighting boards use, right? CR: Michael Becker/FOX. The Medusa is saved by the judges from elimination for the first time in 'The Masked Singer' history. Although the audience hears their real singing voice, their speaking voices are WebMasked Singer Is Doing At-Home Audience NowWell folks I called it!! Billy: I think if its clear to you, that person is Busta Rhymes, you want to keep them around. The coronavirus pandemic hit as the series was filming Season 4, forcing the show to undertake multiple safety measures to protect the panelists and contestants. Jeff Dye: Well, every time I hear real beautiful music or something like that, like I was like, ooh, this kitties a hot one or I go, whos this purple faced lady?. We're augmenting some of the clapping and stuff to get that audience feel, kind of like what sports does. So this is what they did. This is for a mask, Fox President of Alternative Entertainment Rob Wade said during the panel for the series. This isnt something thats done in post-production. It happened very quickly. Question three, whats the deal with the virtual audience? And so, you know, on this season, from what I can see. Billy: Kyle told me that all of that is staged. Cinemablend is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. The Masked Singer did everything in its power so far to make this Season 4 almost indistinguishable from past seasons. Billy: Its really intense. Once the audience members were selected, Fox told each member that they were only allowed to tweet and talk about their experience after the unmasking happens, and they were serious about that rule. It is disappointing not to be able to have the audience there, but its the safest option forThe Masked Singer filming. 5,170, This story has been shared 4,099 times. Fire Country: How A Character Death And Another Key Moment In Latest Episode Could Impact The Rest Of The Season, Ant-Man 3 Writer Drops F-Bomb Defending MODOK Choices, East New York: Watch Jimmy Smits' Suarez Get Some Complicated Family News In New Episode Clip. Also, the judges do in fact know when theyve made a stupid guess. Support Underunderstood on Patreon to hear twice as much of us every week. During the panel, Thicke lamented about that time he announced on national television that he thought Judge Judy was singing as a poodle because of her legs. Billy: Special thanks this week to Shane from our discord, Shane does AR and VR stuff, and kindly helped me prep for the interviews so that I sounded smart when talking to our guests. So its safe to say that a lot of people had reactions like this. I havent seen it, so I dont know how they make it really compelling. Auto-tune this. The use of these visuals was for creative purposes only and did not impact the actual audience voting and outcome. Billy: He actually is a host and reporter for a website called Talent Recap, which covers talent shows, and theyve become sort of well known for their coverage of The Masked Singer. Foxs hit reality series The Masked Singer has a new spinoff: The Masked Dancer.. The creators and panelists confirmed that Episode 6s group performance of Ive Gotta Feeling was edited a bit to make it sound more like theBlack Eyed Peas version. 23 hours ago, by Lindsay Kimble Like, it was just very obvious. We dont know. So thats how the voting works. Thats the thing, like, again, this show has always felt kind of fake. Nickon Mirsepassi: Im pretty sure that this is going to stick. For sure. We will be back with more Underunderstood next week. They say that there is like a virtual reality aspect to this season, but I havent seen any specifics as to what that is. This story has been shared 6,427 times. Everything about the audience in Masked Singer Various fans and followers of the show have shared their excitement about the new season. Going into The Last Of Us, a series about a zombie apocalypse, you expect it wont be a lighthearted romp. Kyle actually used to work on two shows with live audiences, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! And for those shows, he says they would shoot three episodes at a time, often six episodes in a day, but for this show, The Masked Singer, even though they shot two episodes, the day that he was there, he says they brought in a new audience for each episode. I remember this. However, this season does not feel that different than previous seasons. Laura Herzing: Once people do come back to these games and these studio shows, I think that integrating augmented reality with practical set builds is just going to be kind of the way things are done. By signing up, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy and to receive emails from POPSUGAR. The Masked Singer currently features a live audience pulled from previous seasons. Laura Herzing: Somebody said, wouldnt it be funny if we could put virtual people in these stadiums? If its all fake. But they could not believe how could anyone attend the show. 1,440, This story has been shared 1,376 times. Billy: Yeah. What It's Really Like to Be In the Audience of The Masked It really was all about singing live on the stage. And so they go to pretty great lengths to hide the celebrity identities and swear everyone involved to secrecy. THE Masked Singers audience are made to go home before the celebrity is revealed, the shows warm-up man has revealed. Every episode of The Masked Singer has been pre-recorded in front of a live studio audience. or leave a (nice) review on Apple Podcasts. Billy: No. The Masked Singer returns TONIGHT (January 16), on ITV. So that was before it was February 2nd. Heres some tweets. After that list was decided, each of the costumes were roughly sketched out and taken to The Masked Singers celebrities. Adrianne: This has got to be more expensive than a real audience. Yes, the weird Fox series got a bit weirder this season and decided to at least give the impression that things are as normal as they were in past seasons despite the fact they are not. Its a move that, once again, gets me thinking about the safety of the whole thing. But if they are all on a unified front, they basically control the vote because theyre 50%. It was on this awful virtual set that looked like they had bought it from like, the cheapest stock source that you could find. 'Next In Fashion' Season 2 on Netflix: Follow the Designers on Instagram, The 8 Best Soundbars To Buy In 2023, Per Experts, Where To Watch UFC 285: Start Time, Fight Card, UFC 285 Live Stream Info, Sex/Life Season 2: Adam Demos Tops His Famous Full Frontal Moment With, Uh, Tip, Is 'Yellowstone' On Tonight? After two seasons of a virtual audience, a live studio audience was finally present once again on Season 6 of The Masked Singer, and that continues on in Season 7. Cause I think this is a great technical example of like how this stuff works and whats so kind of fascinating about it. Theres no such thing as regular auto-tuning on The Masked Singer. During an interview with a small group of reporters at TCA, Ibarra explained why that feature was quickly removed. This is something The Masked Singer has done a great job of. The Masked Singer: the title pretty much lets the audience know what it's getting. Billy: Right, youre talking about these jib shots they do that sweep across the stage. The content on this site is for entertainment and educational purposes only. Triangle of Sadness Ending Explained: Does Abigail Kill Yaya? Kyle Montplaisir: You know, when Im looking online about who people are guessing the popcorn might be, I see Taylor Dane brought up a lot. I did get to have hair and makeup beforehand, Lake said. The mystery stars compete two at a Nickon Mirsepassi: What happened is a lot of studios decided they want to switch completely over to virtual production do as much of it in virtual production as possible, not only to save monthly, but because it would make it easier to abide by COVID restrictions. The reveal is worth nothing. It will last for 90 minutes and finishes at 8.30pm. So anyway, like I said, theres a lot of secrecy. One celebrity will be eliminated on each show - and their identity will be revealed. 1 day ago, by Samantha Brodsky Im guessing the gold picture frames are AR. The clip, which was originally shared by Entertainment Weekly, gives us a first look at some of the costumes we can expect from season six as usual, they have to be seen to be believed. And I think it presents a lot of new questions about what is real and what is fake. The performers are celebrities wearing elaborate head to toe costumes to conceal their identities from the host, panelists, audience, and other contestants. "It's going to feel very much like [previous seasons], it's not going to feel different. Billy: No, the light hits it pretty naturally. Get the daily inside scoop right in your inbox. Like how much does it change the cone of its light? Youll see a lot of differences this season too with the virtual reality stuff, with the animation, with adding Americas votes since we couldnt have a full audience of 300 people, though were utilizing some audience footage from past seasons to get that audience feel, he said. So they were left with this question of like, what do we do? In early episodes of the series, The Masked Singer would show the heights of each of its performers. For the celebrities that didnt relate to these predetermined options, there was also an option forToybina to create a bespoke costume. Davina also owns a property said to be worth in excess of 8m, with a Georgian mansion worth 4.3m, a 1.5m St Tropez villa and a 1m Surrey manor And if it was a Friday, American History Has Been Whitewashed, But, Black Teen Girls On TV Are A Mess Finally. You know, part of the charm, I guess. Billy: The voting on this show is very strange, I would say. We have a winner from Group A and Group B, and they'll then be going head-to-head almost like a prizefight to see who is the Masked Singer [in the finale]," Plestis told Entertainment Weekly. Heres what it says: due to health restrictions, visuals of audience featured in this episode included virtual shots as well as shots from past seasons. And then also, after a performance happens, they go back through and get even more reactions from the audience. The Masked Singer returned for season four on Sept. 23, but unlike other reality show competition series, it actually features a studio audience in the premiere. Billy: The studios more or less shut down completely for a while. Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images; Dave Mangels/Getty Images; Christopher Polk/Getty Images for Turner; John Shearer/ACMA2021/Getty Images for ACM, Visit Insider's homepage for more stories, executive producer Craig Plestis told Entertainment Weekly, showrunner James Breen told Entertainment Weekly. Billy: They go out of their way to claim that theyre doing things by the book. The crew used camera tricks to make it look as though people were in the studio due to coronavirus social-distancing restrictions. I don't want to watch another Zoom. The premiere episode of The Masked Singer set the record for the highest-rated unscripted series debut on any U.S. network in seven years. Here's What We Know So Far, Who Is Cyclops on 'The Masked Singer'? Billy: See, if you can spot, what is, what you think is AR in this. This is something The Masked Singer has done a great job of. And using those numbers, you can control different sliders on how it might act. Adrianne: This feels like a really big shift. What to Know About 'The Bachelor' Season 27, Episode 6 Filming Location, Mark Wahlbergs "Checkered Racist Past" Has Fans Questioning Why He Presented 'Everything, Everywhere, All at Once' Cast With SAG Award, 'Bon Jovi: Live In New York' Sees Band At The Peak Of Their Powers, Stream It Or Skip It: 'Daisy Jones & The Six on Prime Video, About The Popular Explosion and Personal Implosion Of A Fictional '70s Rock Band, 'The Weeknd: Live At Sofi Stadium' Finds The Singer Alone At Center Stage, Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song Charts Complicated Route From Creation to Mass Acceptance, Disney100 Funko Pops Are Here, And They're Adorable, Stream It Or Skip It: Lyle Lyle Crocodile on Netflix, an Extremely Silly Musical About a Singing Reptile, Stream It Or Skip It: Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank on Prime Video, the Animated Kid-Friendly Version of 'Blazing Saddles' You Didn't Know You Didn't Need, Stream It Or Skip It: True Spirit on Netflix, A Movie Based On The True Story of a Teen's Global Sailing Voyage, Timothy Olyphant's Wigs In 'Daisy Jones' Are An Affront To One Of Hollywood's Best Heads Of Hair, How to Stream and Buy the 'Daisy Jones & The Six' 'Aurora' Album Now, 'Daisy Jones & The Six Episode 3 Recap: "Someone Saved My Life Tonight", Shop Amazon's 'Daisy Jones & The Six' Store To Get Looks From The Show, 'Sex/Life' Season 2's 11 Raunchiest Moments, 11 Best New Shows on Netflix: March 2023's Top Upcoming Series to Watch, 'Sex/Life' Season 2 Said Pregnant Women Can Have Sex With Adam Demos, Too, Sex/Life Season 2s Wildest Scene is a Guy Pumping Up His New Prosthetic Penis. The at-home fans will be able to guess alongside the star-studded celebrity panel from the comfort of I have to admit, when I watched this, I didnt realize they were using all of these kind of AR props. The judges Ken Jeong, Jenny McCarthy, Nicole Scherzinger, and Robin Thicke audience members, and viewers at home are unaware of the contestants' Billy: I dont, I dont think its a knockoff, but I found him and I talked to him and I asked him how he got involved in the show. Billy: One thing thats interesting about Silver Spoon is remember how I mentioned that I thought that Fox baseball stuff wasnt that great? Fox Entertainment's President of Alternative Entertainment and Specials Rob Wade recently told Deadline that the show "went above and beyond the outlines of the CDC and local authorities in order to keep people safe." (Will there be a season 2? Neither Cannon nor anyone else on the show acknowledges these changes or COVID-19 during the broadcast. John: This looks very, very, very convincing. Billy: So its just like, its like a more dynamic matte basically? And what I would do is then just, you know, code in C++ and unreal blueprints and digest that data through the network, bring it to like a front facing area inside the game engine where you can use game programming to essentially access those numbers and be like, okay, now that I have these numbers in front of me, I can apply these to a fake, uh, like a virtual light. For the shows first season that audience was primarily composed of family and friends of the contestants. Adrianne: Light operators are operating the lights live and instead of operating real live lights, theyre operating lights in unreal engine. Nick Cannon: The Gremlins telling me he wants to take this off. "I think it's just been really fun to get fans back into the room and have them experience it with us.". Nickon Mirsepassi: But what you can do is if you give the lighting programmer control, he knows what lights hes turning on in real life. The Masked Singer is an idyllic celebrity safe-haven, where the worst thing that can happen to you is that you get voted off while wearing a banana suit. 2,048, This story has been shared 1,610 times. The show is extremely secretive, so it might be hard to talk to real people who were there, who have attended the taping. John: So its, its the average of the judges is 50% or the winner of the judges is 50%. How hard is it for the panel to guess each singer? 6,427, This story has been shared 5,170 times. For the first time in the history of The Masked Singer, the series introduced theme nights, and they have revitalized the show in season 8. What is he going to do? I think were all exhausted being on Zooms every day and so is the average viewer,, If you are hoping Cannon will confirm that what youre seeing isnt real, youre out of luck. Billy: Right? Well, it appears like it might be a little TV magic. And yet, were six episodes, Most people know how much an unexpected text message in the middle of the night can ruin a good sleep. And then one last tweet: seriously, what drugs do they give the @MaskedSingerFox audience? Let us know in the comments and tune into new episodes on Fox Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m. Did you get confused by the addition of the audience? Thank you for signing up to CinemaBlend. And then just this episode that you asked us to watch. I think the frames are AR for sure. John: I wanted to know why that happened, cause it never happens again. Your favorite teams, topics, and players all on your favorite mobile devices. Theres a reason why Robin Thicke, Jenny McCarthy, Ken Jeong, and Nicole Scherzinger make so many bad guesses, so often. Who Is Thingamabob on 'The Masked Singer'? They had us do a bunch of reaction shots. It says, quote, the judges votes are worth 50% of the total score and the audience votes are also worth 50%. So if you think about that in practice, yeah, the judges can basically collectively control who gets eliminated, more or less. Adrianne: I watched all of the first season at the beginning of COVID and then a little bit of the second season. Each week some people vote on the different performances shown throughout the night, and the performer with the lowest score has to reveal their identity. They did two seasons in 2019, and in 2020 season three premiered in February, at the beginning of the year. Im going to play a bit of the first episode of season four which premiered on September 23rd, 2020. Davina also owns a property said to be worth in excess of 8m, with a Georgian mansion worth 4.3m, a 1.5m St Tropez villa and a 1m Surrey manor Ill say that. John: No that was me singing when was that?. Its just fun. So the concept of The Masked Singer, first of all, I feel like whenever I tell people about it, I note that it started as a Korean show, which explains some of the zaniness that is like, its like up a notch from American television zaniness. Through various quarantining and various camera tricks, we've managed to do it. To be clear, theres nothing realistic or relatable about having a net worth of $2 billion. [Warning: The below contains MAJOR spoilers for The Masked Singer Season 9 Episode 3 New York Night.] Start spreading the news another Masked Singer contestant has been eliminated. The Masked Singer has tried to create normalcy in an abnormal time, and while theres something to be appreciated in that, I cant help but feel stressed watching. We'll have to wait and see. By now you know the drill. Ill say that. And they have to make a new season post COVID, but the virtual studio experiments, they did with the after show stuff went terribly. Fox Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, The Masked Singer implemented a number of changes in order to keep everyone involved safe. She explained that, uh, like Nickon said, this was all something they had to get together very quickly because the industry blew up because of COVID. Fox didnt just want to hide the identity of its singers from the studio audience. Billy: Like, yeah. Billy: Its called DMX. It has a hyper real quality, for lack of a better term. Since the And finally we have something fun involving math. I dont know if any of you have actually tried to read the credits on their show. Number one, what is it like to be in the audience of this show? Alright, are you seeing this? Nickon Mirsepassi: You have a broadcast camera. And do you think the votings real, does it actually affect who stays and who goes? The loser will be up for elimination. Billy: So theres this audience coordinator. Billy: Okay. How does voting work in The Masked Singer? Why did The Masked Singer take away its height graphic? And then theres additional people behind them. Which takes us to the third question, whats the deal with the audience? Were seeing a shot from behind Nick cannon right now, and hes on the set and then you can see audience surrounding the stage and up in front of him. Whats the deal with the audience? For all the camera tricks and studio magic seen in The Masked Singer, it has been confirmed that there are actual unmasked people in the audience. Adrianne: All right. It was not that hard to get off. I believe when Nick Cannon said through the magic of television what he meant was all of these people are fake. Sure, an audience was nice, but it was only ever really about them when their voting sent home someone who shouldnt have left. Cluedle-Doo, a rooster that popped up on stage to randomly give out clues, was a new addition last season. , Awesome, Youre All Set! Billy: Yes. Love often finds you in the unlikeliest of places and that can include in the midst of a decades-long, zombie-creating global pandemic. Fast-forward to where we are now with Season 7 of the show, Nick Cannon at the helm, the entertaining panel of celebrity judges, all-new characters, plus an enhanced set. Adrianne: I think some celebrities, especially some of the bigger celebrities may not want to commit to an entire season of being jerked around and may say, Oh, itll be fun to do one or two episodes and perform and get back in the mix a little bit, but not do the whole entire competition. Look at the judges. Its all for the sake of us at home, so it feels like everything is normal. This was definitely a show filmed in a bubble. Spoilers ahead. There are all these legal disclaimers, I think because it is, uh, a contest that is on broadcast television. And we only went to one episode taping. And also how many things theyre able to do that just werent even physically possible before. It looks like the normal set, but it looks like hes elevated up on a skyscraper. Virus non-believers? Without a virtual light, those picture frames would just render as black. When Season 4 of The Masked Singer premiered during the COVID-19 pandemic, many were extremely confused when host Nick Cannon was talking to what appeared to be a live studio audience full of people not wearing masks.