No woman alive would be unaware of those will I still be a virgin if I use tampons? concerns. Some have extra material on the sides (called "wings") that fold over the edges of your underwear to better hold the pad in place and prevent leaks. tampon loyalists will ask. They are confident that their hygiene product is the superior one. She let women in China know that, yes, there are ways to swim while you have your period. For those watching in her motherland of China, Yuanhuis story was one of possibilities. Easy to use: Pads are easier to use than tampons. Many girls worry the tampon might get lost inside them. If a person experiences a heavy flow, it may be better to use a combination of tampons and pads, with tampons as the primary form of absorption and pads as extra absorption in the event of leaks. One word of caution: frequently changing high-absorbency tampons can cause some vaginal chafing, so you may want to rely on high-absorbency pads or even menstrual cups. It is 2018: time for menstrual pad users to reclaim their rightful role at the apex of the feminine hygiene product hierarchy and stand up for what they believe in. Carry disinfecting wipes with you in case blood gets on other surfaces. Pads can be thought of as a safer option than tampons, as pads do not come with the same risk of TSS. Incidents of TTS have dropped since then and are currently estimated to affect 0.8 to 3.4 per 100,000 people in the United States. Using a tampon is not the same thing as having penetrative sex, and both having sex and using tampons are totally personal decisions. And 70 per cent of women said they were comfortable with continuing to use the cups. You can also reduce waste by choosing tampons without applicators. Free bleeding is having your period without wearing tampons, pads, or any other fluid barriers. They have a big environmental impact, with, They can sometimes irritate and dry out your vagina, making it, need something you can throw in your pocket. Others include menstrual cups, cloth pads, menstrual disks, free bleeding, and period panties like Thinx. If youre not comfortable inserting something into your vagina, thats totally okayyou can choose to use pads instead. ", Cosmopolitan UK: "A doctor answers all your questions about Toxic Shock Syndrome. Overwhelmed by the ever-growing world of period underwear? But when the sticky backing pulls at your pubes, its back to tampons again. Many girls start out using pads, but might want to use tampons when they do sports or go swimming. Manufacturers made changes to these products in the 1980s, and at least one brand of super-absorbent tampons was taken off the market. People with heavy periods and anyone whos ever woken up to a mess swears by them. Another potential explanation is that the tampon may be blocking the flow of blood from your uterus, disrupting the menstrual cycle. Dont ever leave a tampon in for longer especially all day or all night. The answer to this question depends on the individual. I was too embarrassed to say that I had my period and I hadnt yet learned to use tampons. If this happens, just remove them as soon as possible. An extension of this is discomfort physically or just psychologically at having something inside you for stretches of time each month. Most menstrual pads are made of absorbent material like cotton and super absorbent polymer. You can also choose pads based on how light or heavy your blood flow is.. The biggest downside to wearing tampons is the risk of toxic shock syndrome (TTS). Again, theres nothing to hide here, but you also dont want to feel self-conscious all day. Pads can't be worn while you're swimming or taking a bath, while tampons are an option. Spread your knees farther apart than you usually might, so that you have maximum access and visibility while you figure this out, or you can squat and sit like a frog on the toilet seat. The time has come to reclaim the menstrual pad. A new study found that menstrual cups were just as good, if not better, as disposable tampons and pads at preventing leaks. Tampons come in a range of sizes, from light to heavy absorbencies; can be scented or unscented (though most gynecologists advise menstruators to choose unscented tampons), and can be made of 100% organic cotton or cotton/synthetic blends. If tampon is left in too long, it gives germs a chance to grow and cause infection. Scented pads and tampons can actually mess with your vagina's natural pH and cause problems including bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections. When you insert a tampon, make sure it is inserted far enough so that the string is below the opening of the vagina. If using a tampon, it is important to choose the right size, as well as keep up with changing and not letting the same tampon sit in the body for too long. document.getElementById("ak_js_1").setAttribute("value",(new Date()).getTime()); Your email address will not be published. That depends. Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads. Many people tend to tense up, resulting in difficulty with insertion. Change to a new tampon at least every 4 to 6 hours. I think theres a lot of hesitation to try these products because of how were trained to think about our periods: dirty, shouldnt be seen, and evidence of having one should be discarded, said Siriouthay. Also, no matter how thin your pad is, it may be visible under tight or minimal clothing., Pros. oklahoma state verbal commits . Reusable products arent for everyone, however: Menstrual cups can be difficult to insert for menstruators who arent as comfortable touching their own vaginas, and period panties require easy laundry access. Pads have the advantages of being easy to use and better for heavy periods, but you can't swim in them and they may be visible under certain types of clothing. They're also great if your new to the world of menstruation or have a hard time wearing tampons. Change the pad about every 34 hours. A picture of a 15-year-old boy from the US clutching sanitary pads and saying he wants to help girls with periods has gone viral. If you have any concerns or questions about your period, talk to your mom, dad, or doctor. Lets face it: Most menstrual products are pretty female-centric, from their packaging and marketing to their incompatibility with boxers. Its impossible for you to lose your tampon inside your body. Pads are rectangle-shaped pieces of absorbent material which you can stick onto the inside of your underwear. Pros. Tampons are compact and easy to transport especially if you go without the applicator, said Siriouthay. How often should I change my tampon? Choosing the right menstrual product can be particularly challenging for people with heavy flows. How do I choose the right pad for me? Generally, allergy to materials found within tampons is rare but it is still possible for it to occur. Do you ever forget about a tampon? It is absolutely normal to not want to use tampons! Tampons (say: TAM-ponz) also absorb menstrual blood, but they work from inside the vagina. Even if you haven't started your period yet, it's a good idea to be prepared by carrying a few pads or tampons with you, just in case. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Heres our process. Tampons are a great option for women who swim or do other athletic activities. We've rounded up popular options based on a range of needs, whether you're looking for a. For example, if youre going for 6 hours without needing to change your tampon, you may need to switch to a tampon for a lighter flow.. Share on Facebook (opens in a new window), Share on Flipboard (opens in a new window), Stock images perpetuate the myth that women are weaker when they're on their period, YouTube's favorite ghoul boys, Shane Madej and Ryan Bergara, tell us what they've been watching, Now you can pause your Snapchat Streak without any stress, Dictionary.com defines the times with 1,500 new words, revisions, The TikTok 'bold glamour' filter is going viral for its wildly unrealistic beauty standard, TikTok Visionary Lynae Vanee is a 'content creator down for the cause', A24's 'Everything Everywhere All at Once' charity auction raised over $500,000, How to watch 'The Weekend: Live From SoFi Stadium' and bring the concert experience home, Pedro Pascal narrated an audiobook if you want 8 straight hours of his voice, It's time to put 'The Bachelor' out to pasture, Warner Bros. I was at high school throughout much of the 1990s. This makes them great for heavier days and overnight use, as well as saving time and money on the need for frequent change. 'Cause you're worth it, and you deserve it. All rights reserved. Hemp Oil For Dogs: Benefits, Safety Tips, Dosage and More, My Top 11 Favorite Movies About Wellness and Sustainability. Given their way, this sisterhood might even deify Chinese Olympic bronze medallist Fu Yuanhui. Since theyre worn on the underwear, pads are known to shift around, and you can bleed on your clothes and undies, said Siriouthay. I'd speculate most Western countries have similar . Id also often hear Ive never used tampons confessions. Instead of segregating ourselves into pad and tampons camps, or even other hygiene products like diva cups and Thinx, we can build a common cultural conversation around the issues that really matter: Ruined underwear, painful cramps, or accidentally bleeding all over your office chair while you're at work. Could I have it, too? Black, Brown, Bright Red, and More: What Does Each Period Blood Color Mean? Consider your comfort, budget, convenience, and any other variables that matter to you when choosing your products. Tampons expand as they absorb fluid, pushing against the vaginal canal, and this can actually contribute to cramp pain, said Siriouthay. Theyve come a long way since the bulky, diaper-esque pads you still hear horror stories about. People believe that gender equality is improving, but the rest of the data tells a different story. In this article, well break down everything you need to know about the differences between pads and tampons. Its for this reason that other internal, having-to-touch-the-blood methods like cups and sponges havent yet gone mainstream. None of this is to say that menstrual pads are inherently more worthy than tampons or even, necessarily a better choice. You can store tampons before and after use in an opaque plastic bag for privacy. Only use tampons when you have your period. Additionally, it is important to note that tampons are not meant to be worn for more than eight hours at a time and that wearing one for longer can increase the risk for toxic shock syndrome. (2018). And we dont have to be embarrassed or ashamed of not wanting to do an activity because of our menstruation or menstrual cramps, either. The amount of flow can vary from person to person and is affected by menstrual cycles, but a flow that is too heavy for a tampon can cause frequent changing, discomfort, and even leaks. You may see red, brown, and even black blood during your period. Calling all Disney adults and 'Titanic' fanatics. Pros. That's just my thoughts but I have no idea why as I don't do it myself. Exploring menstrual practices and potential acceptability of reusable menstrual underwear among a Middle Eastern population living in a refugee setting. University of Melbourne provides funding as a founding partner of The Conversation AU. While most people who menstruate have had that moment of awkwardness, we dont have to miss our favorite activities for a week every month if we dont want to. Others find menstrual pads less comfortable. Inserting a tampon in your vagina is more comfortable if you're relaxed. Wash your hands before and after using a tampon. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our. Aside from the benefits, some women may prefer a menstrual cup over tampons because they find it to be more comfortable, they are eco-friendly, and they are free of harsh chemicals. Try to use the least-absorbent tampon that you need. Pads are rectangles of absorbent material that you stick to the inside of your underwear. When you start having your period, you can use a pad or tampon to soak up the menstrual blood. Things can get messy because you have to use your fingers to fish it out of your vagina, then dump and rinse it. They also come in deodorant varieties, but these can irritate the vagina. A tampon absorbs menstrual blood before it has a chance to come out of your body. If you have any symptoms of TSS, you should get immediate medical help. Prior to joining Mashable, Heather wrote regularly for UPROXX and GOOD Magazine, was published in The Daily Dot and VICE, and had her work featured in Entertainment Weekly, Jezebel, Mic, and Gawker. I prefer pads over tampons for a variety of reasons. Doing so effectively can only be done with quality information. Most don't. To use a pad, peel the adhesive strip off and press it on to your underwear. To Padable, tampon and pad-users everywhere: we're proud of you too. How do you know which one is right for you? Answer (1 of 23): Actually, neither! I always carry about 3-5 on me.. You may have trouble with fitting the cup if you have, Youll need to give it a thorough wash after each cycle, Though cheaper in the long term, the initial cost is roughly $25 to $40, depending on the brand, Some cups contain latex, so be sure to read the label if you have a, TTS from menstrual cups is possible when not used as directed, want to have sex during your period without the bleeding, are looking to reduce the environmental footprint of your cycle. Yes, a flow can be too heavy for tampons. And I used to hate 'that time of the month'. Maxi pads can shift or bunch up and cause accidents that we really can't afford to have! They rework our relationship to periods by creating a sort of ritual of cleaning the products, keeping them to reuse, and, in a lot of cases, putting them on display, said Siriouthay. I had enough reasons to hate them. Plus, today you can find reusable cups, washable pads, and period-proof panties, among other things. It is also suggested that menstrual cups are a better alternative for reducing the risk of TSS and other infections. Other girls like pads because they're easy to use, and it's easier to remember when to change them because you can see the blood on them. You can try doing a skin prick test to figure out if youre allergic to some material in the tampon, and then make sure you go with a different option that is more suitable for your body. A fellow Mashable employee who genuinely asked to be called "Padable" shared this experience with me: "I havent been shamed a lot for using pads, but I also dont bring it up a lot because I always felt it was weird. Pad users, I learned, belonged to an abject underclass: a derelict group of pseudo-humans who enjoyed sitting in "mushy blood diapers" every 28 days. In 2011, when I was writing a book about menstruation, women through zero prompting on my part would share their period stories and ask me incredibly elaborate questions (mistakenly under the impression I know anything at all about whats going on). Firstly, you might be using a tampon with a lower absorbency than is required for your menstrual flow. Tampons and pads aren't the only two options by any meanssome girls prefer to use .css-lec2h6{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:inherit;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;background-image:linear-gradient( to bottom, rgba(241, 220, 225, 1), rgba(241, 220, 225, 1));-webkit-background-position:0 100%;background-position:0 100%;background-repeat:repeat-x;-webkit-background-size:0 0;background-size:0 0;padding-top:0.05rem;padding-bottom:0.05rem;}.css-lec2h6:hover{color:#000000;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;-webkit-background-size:.625rem 3.125rem;background-size:.625rem 3.125rem;}menstrual cups or even period pantiesbut they're certainly the two most common ways to handle your period.