Continue reading "Permian 1988 Football Schedule" The following appeared as Part III in a three-part series on the Dallas Carter High School 1988 football team in the Nov. 11, 2008 editions of The Dallas Morning News. The film airs on ESPN Thursday, August 24. But, then again, I could be wrong. March 4 (UPI) -- Protestors took to the streets of Tehran Saturday amid reports that dozens more Iranian schoolgirls were hospitalized in what the government calls a series of mysterious suspected poisonings. It would be difficult for anybody. Evans, 44, who in 1988 was talented enough to be considered one of the nation's top high school defensive backs and flamboyant enough to sign his letter of intent while sitting in a hot tub in . Dallas Morning News sports reporter since 1993. Eight-time APSE award winner; 2016 National Headliner Award; 2018 Celeste Williams Texas Sportswriter of the Year; 2021 NSMA Texas Sportswriter of the Year. August 16, 2017 / 9:40 PM But its not the kind of football movie that Dallas-based writer and director Arthur Muhammad ever imagined hed be making. Sitting at the kitchen table of his DeSoto home, he patiently retraces the grade controversy, the robberies, prison. Carter was named PSAC Eastern Division Athlete of the Week three times in 2022-23. Those memories, though, were soon overshadowed by bigger games at Texas Tech. Since 2004, I have served the Rialto Community in a plethora of assignments, including 8th Grade . Its your choice.. Previous Seasons All-Time Roster. 10 Texas Athletes Are Sentenced to Jail Terms for Robberies, https://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/24/us/10-texas-athletes-are-sentenced-to-jail-terms-for-robberies.html. He has long been devoted to his fraternity Alpha Phi Alpha, overseeing the local chapter's economic development dealings. For the last year, he has worked on a soon-to-be-released book, Carter Boyz. The 1988 Carter High School football team won that year's Texas state championship. At the courthouse, it simply doesnt matter that you can run the football. Others reacted with joy because they believed young troublemakers had gotten what they deserved. But that Dallas Carter team had its title stripped in 1990 after a Texas University Interscholastic League investigation determined Edwards should have been ruled ineligible to play during the Cowboys playoffs run because of an algebra II grade. The Cowboys captured the city with their talent as they fought their way through the regular season and the playoffs. Former state District Judge Joe Kendall in his sentencing of Carter High players. AT HOUSTONCHRONICLE.COM: Debate class - Yates or Carter? He says, "These guys talk about the fact that no matter how far they went after playing big time Texas high school football, there was no crowd that felt more intense, there was no game that felt bigger than their biggest games in their Texas high school careers. Houston, Texas. Evans got 20 years. Get the latest breaking news from North Texas and beyond. In my eyes, I'd say we were the best ever," defensive back Gary Edwards told WFAA in 2013. Saturday, February 25, 2023 Carter High School Cross-Country Pancake Breakfast at Aubrey's Strawberry Plains! Nothing could deter the Cowboys on their way to winning the state championship that year. "A couple of guys I was locked up with, I guess they heard it on the news or the radio," he says. Unofficially, they would be the second team to do so, after the Dallas Carter Cowboys beat Converse Judson at Texas Stadium 31-14 in 1988. "I tell people all the time, I was like Michael Jordan and he was like Scottie Pippen," Armstead says. Twenty years ago, he was 6-3, 190 pounds and had once run a 40-yard dash in 4.34 seconds. "Nothing wrong with that. I just love it, he said. The film is centered on the 1988 Cowboys of David W. Carter High School in Dallas, a team that fought through racial prejudice and a grades controversy to claim the 5A state title, only to be rocked when six of their players were involved in an armed robbery and the grades issue stripped them of their title. The film's director, Adam Hootnick, said he made the documentary because he felt the Carter story was never fully told. You go out there and you defend your boys. "No, no, no, I was never bitter," he says. If you want to see Carter High you may have to search it out its been in limited releaseandproducers are still working on a broader distribution deal. Tanell Evans, a standout track performer for Lancaster, now competes for Sam Houston State. I guess it was just for paper.". Study suggests bempedoic acid reduces cholesterol, risk of heart attack. With ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary What Carter Lost screening Aug. 24, audiences are primed to remember the glory and scandal that surrounded Dallas Carter High School's football team nearly 30 . The legacy . . Permian did end up winning a state title the following year, going 16-0 in 1989. ESPN Films continues a busy summer of sports documentaries on Thursday, August 24, with a 30 for 30 documentary about the highs and lows of the 1988 Dallas Carter High School football team."What Carter Lost," directed by Adam Hootnick, will air at 9:30 p.m. Then after the championship win, the title and all of the accolades were stripped from the team when six of it's players were convicted and sentenced in a string of robberies throughout the Dallas area. 2017: Redshirted as a true freshman. In fact, five players served time and one got probation. A protective father figure to his Carter players, he led them on to be one of the nation's best high school teams. The case went before Kendall, who rejected pleas for leniency and ordered most of the defendants to prison for sentences that ranged from two to 25 years. And I think we share in some of the responsibility for that a great deal, actually. From changing grades and playing ineligible players to substance abuse and violence, these five scandals marred the face of the king of all sports in Texas. Anyone can read what you share. Before he signed with Tennessee while sitting in a Jacuzzi, he was pursued by the likes of USC, UCLA and Nebraska. 'When I compare you with a typical young offender who comes before me, you are especially without excuse,' Kendall added. He lives in Garland, but hasn't strayed far from his high school roots. He slumped in his chair after his sentence was announced. Everyone Else Is At Home. Thats the reason executive producer Greg Ellis signed on. His bio doesn't mention a father, but Evans says he has attended several A&M games this season. He and wife Eva spend most of their time at church functions. Russian defense minister visits front lines as Ukraine's hold on Bakhmut slips. Odessa Permian 1988 Roster. A new film, written and directed by a former player for Carter High, details their triumphant road to the 1988State Championship and the controversy that surrounded the team after they won. Adamson High School; W.H. I want the younger audience to know that your decision that youre making right now can affect the rest of your life, Muhammad says. While the official record books wont remember the 1988 Carter Cowboys, Dallas definitely does, and continues to tell the teams story. "Everywhere we go, somebody knows me," he says. Over the course of one month in the spring of 1989, six Dallas Carter players, including Edwards and defensive back Derric Evans, were charged with committing a series of seven armed robberies in Dallas before being arrested. Editor's note: Take a look back into The Dallas Morning News archives. The 1988 Carter High School football team seemed invincible. The reality of the Carter High School football team, often described as one of the most talented collections of players in the history of football-crazed Texas, is told in "What Carter Lost ," an ESPN 30 for 30 film directed by Adam Hootnick and airing at 9:30 p.m. Thursday. A 12th still faces sentencing. Iranians stage protests as dozens more schoolgirls fall ill in suspected poisonings. Carter served a black, middle-class neighborhood in Dallas. Newest . This was one of the issues that later led Carter to being stripped of its title. Carter was ultimately stripped of its 1988 state title, and there's no doubt that the Carter community's fight to defend its reputation got a lot harder because of what those young men did. Browse through the photos above for a comparison between the 1985 Houston Yates team and the 1988 Dallas Carter team. (Rose Baca/Staff Photographer). Judge Kendall said he was a ringleader. By DAVID BARRON. HISTORIC TEAM: 1985 Yates team was one for the ages. 210 N Carter School Rd, Strawberry Plains, Tennessee | (865) 933-3434. The Cowboys captured the city with their talent as they fought their way through the regular season and the playoffs. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. This Reporter Wants To Bridge The Gap. It was like, 'Hey, I'm down with you for whatever because I know you're down with me.' Today they are coaches, businessmen, NFL retirees, youth ministers, policemen and convicted felons. The team made famous by Buzz Bissinger's book "Friday Night Lights" faced enormous expectations. Part of his beat was covering the Dallas Carter Cowboys, who are the subject of an ESPN documentary set to air this week ( What Carter Lost, Thursday 9:30 p.m. EST). The 1988 Dallas Carter High School football team is receiving some notoriety this week as ESPN's 30 for 30 about the team debuts Thursday. He noted the 21 holdups were more than those attributed to Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, who terrorized the South during the 1930s. Educating, Motivating, and Producing Responsible Citizens of Tomorrow. March 4 (UPI) -- Bempedoic acid taken alone reduces cholesterol and heart attacks in patients who can't tolerate statins, according to a clinical research published Saturday in New England Journal of Medicine.. Five, including 2 children, killed in early morning New York house fire. It was the first in nearly two dozen robberies connected to some players on the team. Just days after winning the state championship, a handful of Carter High players robbed a fast food joint. Ann Richards declined to sign. So the way that those parents were undercut after everything they did to keep that team on the field and to try to put forward their version of who they were to have that all undone, you know, I think that's the story that's never been told.". The 1988 Carter High School football team seemed invincible. '', Judge Kendall sentenced the teen-agers after they had pleaded guilty to holding up a total of 21 restaurants, including some in which they worked. Before the crossing guard gig, James would organize outings for neighborhood seniors so they could pass the time telling stories to each others. Gary Edwards says he talks to Evans a couple of times a year. "They talk about that high school team that kicked everybody's ass," he says. I think Im losing them. Freshman Stoughton, Mass. All Teams Schedule: Week of Feb 20 - Feb 26 .