Using Hornady 6 creedmoor necked down at the moment. I think so, the 22 Creedmoor is a great shooting cartridge and the Meredith rifle shoots amazing. At really long ranges, the 6.5 Creedmoor is less affected by wind, making it less critical of wind calls. After the initial hype of the 6.5mm Creedmoor cartridge, it seems to have kept growing commercially in popularity, with 6.5 Creedmoor chambered factory rifles available from most of the large manufacturers and loaded ammo in this caliber readily available on most shelves in the US. This rifle is an absolute nightmare on Coyotes, Feral Hogs, Prairie Dogs, and Whitetail Deer. Yes deer are half the size of a man and do not have body armor but even the mostly ignorant DOD civilians are letting the military look at larger calibers than .22 because of lack of long range effectiveness. Just received my 22 creedmoor reamer and have a 20" Proof Carbon Savage pre-fit in 223 that I'm going to have reamed out and picked up a Savage take off 22-250 barrel to ream and use for fire forming/prairie dogs. It has wide forgiving sweetspots, which makes it inherently accurate even for the most novice reloaders, and the velocity combined with the ballistic coefficients of the .224 bullets in 75, 80, 88 and 90gr are so good, that wind does not bother it as much as even larger calibers. Why is this? From the loaders manual, the stated velocity was 3300 FPS. Even "shot-out" barrels in an infamous barrel burner like the 220 Swift are usually in excellent condition at the cooler muzzle end. The typical American had just a few all-purpose guns a few decades ago. starting my build and have decided on this caliber. The gamut ran from .22 to 20 MM. Phone: 605-554-1911 | Email : sales@primalrights.com. All Local Sales are FREE! My 22 Creedmoor is doing 3511 fps with 80 gr Nosler CC bullets. SMFH. My buddy has one. We frequently get questions about the application of this cartridge and what it's primarily used for. Farthest was about 140yds, bullet still passed completely through, exiting through the far shoulder on a quartering away shot. This helps us keep this site going, and does not affect the price you would pay usually in any way whatsoever. Then the 22 CM would be right at home in the field where it belongs. Plus I hand load HOT for that round as well. Patrick's .22 Creedmoor was built by Little Crow Gunworks on a Remington 700 action using a PROOF Research barrel and Stocky's AccuBlock EuroMatch adjustable cheekpiece laminated stock. Erosion from bullet friction alone is minimal as suggested by the longer barrel life of "mild" cartridges like 30-30 Winchester, 22 Hornet, and especially 22 rimfire. You can also use Lemi Shine ultrasonic brass cleaners. Your email address will not be published. Just FYI. Buzz, Rotate between two or three rifles, thus spreading out the number of rounds fired through each barrel. Our hair was long, wed wear cut off Navy dungarees, (jeans), Navy chambray shirts with the sleeves removedwe would shoot enormous amounts of ammunition, we basically looked like 180 degree out of phase squids>>>(sailors). JavaScript is disabled. Interest is then sparked. This is a distinct step up in performance. My main 26" barrel is pushing 80gr Berger's at 3525fps and is relentless inside 800yds. The TSXs in my experience have been overperformers, big time. This is something that plagued me with the traditional 22-250 and caried over into the 22-243win I ran prior to switching to the 22 Creedmoor. View Details . I intend to use 83 gr Hammer or 75 gr Swift bullets. I ran the numbers on the 45-70 I carried to Africa last year. I can not speak to the virtures of Alpha brass, but I haven't heard any complaints about their other offerings. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. BAck in the 70s we used to shoot 85gr Sierra hollow point boat tail bullets in our 6mm Rems. Then too there was always the discussion of barrel life, and cases with lots of body taper and shallow shoulder angles tend to tear up throats. Please double check the 500 yd energy of the 308 168 SMK. It is my feeling that Alpha Munitions OCD 22 Creedmoor is the best presently available. I think the barrel will give me a good barrel life based on round count but not based on time because I really enjoy shooting it and letting others try it. 22 Creedmoor. Muzzle Energy: 3975ft-lbs Effective Range at Sea-Level Pressure: 1440 meters Accurate Barrel Life: 1003 Rounds Load #2 Bullet: Hornady 195gr ELD Match Propellant Load: 75.5gr of Vihtavuori N165 Muzzle Velocity: 2932fps Muzzle Energy: 3738ft-lbs Effective Range at Sea-Level Pressure: 1390 meters Accurate Barrel Life: 1895 Rounds Load #3 Laugh!! Barrel Length: 22" Overall Length: 42.75" Rate of Twist: 1:8" Length of Pull: 13.75" Drilled & Tapped: Yes Magazine Style: Hinged Floor Plate Magazine Capacity: 5 Barrel Material: Polished Blued Steel Checkering: 20 LPI Wood Type: Maple Walnut The notable difference is .22 CM rifles are normally equipped with faster rifling twists to stabilize heavier, higher BC bullets. One of the most common uses for the 22 Creedmoor caliber, is in compact truck rifles, or varmint rifles. Now I just need to come up with so load data. All with R26. I have some R26 and R23 that I want to try. If I was going to build another one it would be on a 1-7 twist barrel just to try the 95gr smk. Thank you!! If you want just 1 rifle the 243 has the ability to be a MPBR/old school varmiter right slong with the 22/250, but a much better Deer?antelope rifle. Easily adapted components, brass, and dies. It makes for an excellent test platform when chambered in 6mm Creedmoor. The consensus on the optimal barrel length for 6.5 Creedmoor is 24" and 26", if the objective is long range Precision Rifle Shooting (PRS). Varget, H4350, and H1000 are the most common powders used with the 22 Creedmoor. Our Small Frame .22 Creedmoor is a bit lighter than our F4-15 EBR chambered in .224 Valkyrie. The same user claimed in another post comment on 29 October 2013 that GA Precision built his 22 Creedmoor rifle more than a year and a half earlier, which if true would make their 22 Creedmoor rifle the first one created in early half of 2012, possibly unlikely as the same user was still asking about a custom 22-250 action rifle and mag feeding ammo out of it in a 13 December 2012 post, showing that it has possibly not been made by then yet. The Creedmoor in 22 Creedmoor denotes the fact that it comes from a 6.5mm Creedmoor which has been necked down to accept a .224 bullet, the Creedmoor in 6.5mm Creedmoor in turn comes from Creedmoor Sports, for whom the 6.5mm Creedmoor cartridge was developed by Hornady and Creedmoor Sports jointly. You are quite wrong about using 22s for medium sized game. The reason for this is to generate the highest muzzle velocities, and lowest Standard Deviation of velocity. Depending on size of the game hunted, but generally you will often hear most industry authorities recommending 6mm, 243 Win, 270 Win for any smaller CXP2 type antelope, and 30-06 Spingfield or larger for CXP3 medium to large game. Cooper Creek, Gunwerks, and Spark Munitions have a variety of offerings depending on what purpose you have for the gun. This may continue until eventually the rifling is not longer able to stabilise the bullet, and you will notice sideways impacts of the bullet on targets at all distances, even those placed not far from the muzzle. The cartridge and rifle perform well with my handloads or the factory available ammunition. You can also neck 6mm Creedmoor down to 22cal easy enough. . Note, I shoot it like I stole it. My memories of my military time make me smile.. 168 SMKs dont have only 410 ft-lbs of muzzle energy at 500 yards. When I must neck down a cartridge, I typically start with a bushing die and use various bushings to get the desired result. For what this is worth, my load above shoots great with Hornady brass but as with most tinkers I wanted to try some loads using small rifle primers. Loaded ammunition is available with bullets in the 70-75 range leaving 24 barrels at velocities around 3400+ fps, a bit more conservative than personal hand-loading, but still making it a very flat shooting, low recoiling round delivering impressive results. (Even if they are NOT improvements worth mentioning!) Possibly GA Precision could prove to be the oldest if they can provide documented evidence of their 22 Creedmoor reamer, or rifle being made before then as SnipersHide user KYS claims, but we are merely going on evidence found through search so far. Make no mistake, as precision rifles are becoming so common that shooters and custom rifle builders have had to turn to customizing calibers and cartridges for more performance, so too has the consumer marketing side of ammunition manufacturers also started creating more calibers and cartridges to further fuel the yearly upgrade and new purchase trend of rifles similar to other tech and cellphone industries. Here's the relative bullet diameters for these three Creedmoors: 6mm: 0.243. I know guys that run anything from 22-26" barrels, 1-6.5 to 1-7 is what you'll need for the heaviest bullets. The 22 CM drops below that 800 ft-lb threshold at between 600 to 775 yards depending on the bullet and velocity of Copper Creek's different offerings. Ive seen claims of 80 grain Bergers @ 3500 fps out of 26 barrels, which would be devastating on any varmint. I must say I was impressed that it was still sufficiently accurate for its purpose. I thought my barrel was toast with around 900 rounds but I shot this yesterday at 100. 8405 HWY 22 The lack of recoil resulting from using relatively light bullets makes it possible to watch your own impacts or misses if the terrain allows. The industry standard 308 load of a 168 grn Sierra Match King bullet at 2650 fps is no match for the more modern high BC cartridges. Compared to my rifle chambered in .308 Winchester which also has a 20" barrel, the 6 CM needs 30% less elevation out to 1,000 yards and is 25% better in the wind. Please keep this thread to actual reloading information, and if you can please post some round count, barrel life numbers are all over the place. But I digress. . But the popularity of this round, although not gaining momentum as fast as the 6.5mm Creedmoor, or the new 224 Valkyrie has (admittedly because it is not marketed as much by manufacturers because it means normal current Creedmoor rifles can easily be converted to 22 Creedmoor), is starting to gather speed. Just thought I'd update here. Back in the day, my first ever rifle was a Remington 700 in 6mm. I'm going to try out 22x47L once this barrel is toast. Very long barrel life; Cons of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Required fields are marked *. Thank You! At our 22 Creedmoor muzzle velocity of 3550fps the Hornady 75gr ELD-M bullets produces around 2099 ft.lbs of energy, taking it close to medium 6mm bullets or light 308 Winchester rounds. Satterlee Scott. I have to say, the best part about shooting the Meredith 22 CM is that its just fun to shoot. Compared to the 7.1 mils of the 22 CM its easy to see why the 22 CM has a high hit probability. The 22 CM has been making waves in the predator hunting circles since before 2014 and gaining popularity since. I have plenty like that..including my original model 73 Winchester in .38-40! It was great for about 3 years. The only thing needed is a fast twist barrel to stabilize the long, high BC bullets; 1 x 7 7.5 twist. Look at the 22 creed as an ackley'd 22-250, you can actually fire form brass if needed. Barrel life, according to most precision shooters is basically the number of rounds expected before the rifle shows inaccuracy of more than one MOA. Bullet diameter.224, Shoulder angle30 degrees, Rim diameter.468, Case length1.92 inches, Primer typeLarge and small. Especially factory 250 ammo. A longer barrel generally costs more. There are many factors that determine the number of shots a barrel can take before the lands and rifling become worn to a point where the accuracy suffers. It's an 1:11 finished at 28". These bullets have the higher energy levels, perform better in the wind, and should have a longer barrel life than the faster lighter bullets. Gun writers simply ran out of stuff to write about..and manufacturers ran out of new and improved items to sell. varmint hunting, You can see the brass stress test which was broadcast live, in the videobelow. But also dont over-clean your rifle; only clean when necessary. The point of this wildcat is to use heavy for caliber bullets, which most if not all of the old 22s cannot do. The good news is thatHornady, Peterson, Gunwerks, Atlas Development Group (ADG) and Alpha Munitions are all selling factory brass now, so no more necking down the 6 CM for me. I HAVE shot the bbls out a a few older models, which is WHY I went to the 22-250. APR Maverick 22 Creedmoor - Alamo Precision Rifles APR Maverick 22 Creedmoor Sold! You could achieve better barrel life going with a slower powder especially with the 80 and heavier bullet weights. All of these Creedmoor cartridges are truly great long-range rounds when compared to the old military/police standard 308. The accuracy nodes are wide and forgiving, the feeding is boringly reliable, and the performance out in the world has been dominating. That experiment reinforced my belief that 3500 is a good number for replacement. Federal and CCI offerings are most popular. He has followed that passion for over 30 years, hunting and competing in practical pistol, 3gun, precision rifle and sporting clays matches. Well, it seems opinions are mixed, and you know what they say about opinions. Never Dock after all of this three and a half years of what was basically partying at the governments expense..so I left the Navy. With all the more appropriate cartridges out there, why anyone would use a barely capable 22 caliber class round on medium sized game is beyond me. In fact, I compared wound tracks in ballistics gel and it was virtually indistinguishable from a 168 gr ballistic tip from a 30-06. Evidently they have a thin jacket. There are hunters, also within the hunting culture, who specialize in one element of hunting or another. Most shooters first roll their eyes when hearing you say you have a 22 Creedmoor, just hearing the word Creedmoor, but they often do a double take a second or two later and ask, 22?. H4350 is kind of a "go-to" powder for the Creed case but I have had really good performance and barrel life out of H4831, H1000 and RE23. Please keep this thread to actual reloading information, and if you can please post some round count, barrel life numbers are all over the place. Nobody routinely uses a 45-70 or a 30-30 where they anticipate regular shots at over 100-150 yards; stupid comparison. I am having the action trued up and will be bedding it into either a Savage laminate stock or an H-S Precision composite stock. Nothing changes..heavy vs super light! I have been shooting 22 Creedmoor since 2014 and have pressed it into service as my primary coyote hunting cartridge. It's a cool cartridge for sure. 370. I will try again later using faster burning powders but for now back to the proven. With super light recoil, and speeds exceeding that of a hot 22-250 by 150-200fps, the 22 Creedmoor takes down coyotes at any distance, fast. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. In our research though, it seems to have been made first either by George Gardner of GA Precision or by Tim McWhorter of McWhorter Custom Rifles. Proudly powered by. From what info I was able to find on the net, it was designed a few years ago by the GAP ( Georgia Precision) folks specifically to shoot long heavy .22 cal bullets at decent hunting velocity while providing a good barrel life and flawless feeding from detachable mags. 10 shots averaged 3510 at 45 degrees. It shot the 80.5 Berger's with great accuracy also. Anyone have load data for 22 creedmoor 50 gr. With a wide selection of bullets and factory brass available, all thats needed is reloading dies to put it all together, and with reloading dies now available from major sources such as RCBS, Hornady, Redding, and Whidden, the 22 CMs seems on the rise. The heavier bullets being used in the 22 CM range from 75-95 grains. . Excellent ballistic performance. Bullets being an entirely application-driven choice makes it difficult to suggest one, but if you're looking for top choices for the 22 Creedmoor they would easily be the heavier of the class such as 75gr hornady, 80gr SMK, or 80gr Berger. I think you'll be very happy going that route. This would make him the first documented person to suggest a 22 Creedmoor cartridge on record. Mine is throated long, twisted fast and loaded hot but I'm able to sling 95gr SMKs at 3200fps from a 22 inch tube with H4350. For brass you might look into Alpha Brass. Similarly, there are no big-name ammunition companies loading for the 22 CM, but there are several smaller companies offering ammunition so you dont have to reload at all. A word of caution though, at the speeds delivered by the 75, 80 or 90gr bullets in this cartridge, combined with the expansion ability of ballistic tipped bullets, you should rather aim for head shots to prevent meat damage when hunting deer or other animals for meat, and not at all when hunting for trophies, we have seen this same 75gr bullet that cleanly took down the Zebra above, also remove the top half of a Impalas head on another occasion. Related Tags: This makes an outstanding round with only 7.1 mils drop at 1000 yards, and 1.7 mils of wind drift for a 10-mph wind at that distance. The oldest actual talk or mention of a 22 Creedmoor caliber or cartridge being a comment suggestion made by Chad Dixon from Long Rifles Inc. on another SnipersHide post on 19 September 2012, in response to another user wondering about shooting 90gr bullets from a 220 swift. ---Craddock Precision, Twist Options 1:7 and 1:12 (throated specific to twist), 3 Contours based on the most popular gas blocks:.750", .875", and .936", Threads: 1/2-28, 5/8x24, 3/4x24, or No Threads all with a 11 Target Crown, Polished or Bead Blasting included, Cerakote Available, Several Fluting Styles (Allow 1-2 more weeks for Fluting). How ever those were heavy barrels on the rifles, I mainly now have sporter barrels on all I have with the exception of the Ruger American Predators, I have Three, there barrels are a bit heavier then the sports as Im sure you all ready know. They are about 1180 ft-lbs. This is my favorite rifle, too. Skip to content. Its a great quality barrel, but the only profile available at the time was far heavier than I would have liked, so in order to keep the overall weight of the gun down I had the gunsmith make it shorter, giving up some velocity to gain mobility afield. For those wanting to know more about the .22 Creedmoor, check out this video we put together for you below! Load development was stupid simple, thanks to an excellent smith in Shaen (shooter71) and a rock creek blank. This item is in the category "Sporting Goods\Hunting\Gun Parts\Rifle". Winchester Model 70 Super Grade AAAA Maple Walnut - 6.5 Creedmoor - 22" . The now super popular Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor case is no exception to that rule. For instance, 22 LR's can go much further than 5-10K, while 223 types can burn out in less than 1K. Cm case has greater volume, so 250 ammo should not pose a pressure concern. Well I pulled the trigger, pun intended, on the 22 creedmoor. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! For mine, the perfect load for the 75gr mentioned in the post, was at 40.6gr Vihtavuori N550. Now we have Alpha Munitions producing factory 22 Creedmoor brass, and the stage is set for a complete takeover of the big 22cal scene. Went with the Nosler's because of availability and price. Most states would not allow it as lacking sufficient energy. This will assist in understanding why groupings may eventually open up, while also allowing for timeous submission of new license applications in certain countries around the world; take South Africa for example, where a barrel may take up to 1-year to license. bullets and fast twist rifling, usually 1:8 or even 1:7.5. With long range precision shooting becoming increasingly popular amongst rifle owners throughout the world, barrel life expectancy is often a question of concern, particularly amongst new buyers. Not so likely. This also creates a different beast altogether, including higher maximum pressures (based on SAMMI 6mm CM numbers). PRS matches typically limit bullet speeds to 3200 fps, which coincidentally works well since Copper Creek offers the 22 CM with a 95-grain SMK at 3160 fps based on a 24 barrel. It should now be apparent that there is no easy answer to how many rounds a rifle barrel can fire before accuracy declines; there are simply too many variables involved. Good news Petersons 22 Creedmoor brass is very good so you dont even have to neck down brass. Name Phone Number Email Message Considerably less powder, longer barrel life, slightly less recoil, and I bet it will be easier to tune. It really doesnt out do my 22-250AI, its probably going to be used for something else. More importantly, why all the fuss? The most widely used barrel life calculator on the web today is known as Mikes Spreadsheet, which uses five variables to provide a good accurate barrel life estimation. Or even better, compare it to the 220 swift! Our one member has personally taken a large Zebra stallion with a 22 Creedmoor, shooting a Hornady 75gr ELD-Match bullet at around 3650fps, with a well-placed clean head shot as can be seen below, with a tiny entrance and quarter sized exit wound, and blood streaming out the ear showing a good brain expansion. Please be sure of your Savages' shank size before placing . When you hit a deer you could hear a loud Thwapp! We suggest the 75gr Hornady ELD-M as the ideal projectile for this caliber, If you choose to run the 88gr Hornady, 90gr Hornady, Sierra or Berger, or the 95gr Sierra PLEASE note your rifle should have a freebore of .120 or more. For me, the Varget/69TMK was almost an accident, but its showing good numbers, and superb accuracy. A barrel log should be kept for each rifle in your Shooting Record Book, or Field Data Book, and may also be stored on an electronic copy or cloud drive for safekeeping. Most shooters first roll their eyes when hearing you say you have a 22 Creedmoor, just hearing the word Creedmoor, but they often do a double take a second or two later and ask, 22?.