I have two boys, almost exactly five years apart, and its (mostly) a really good gap. The cake turned out very moist, really delicious. So you cream the butter & sugar, then add egg and the buttermilk. Was a bit nervous as we were having lunch at a v nice Italian restaurant and then coming back here for cake, but neednt have worried massive win and everybody demanded the recipe. Woah Nelly do I ever feel you with the chocolate cake craving. Serves or Makes: 8 . If you did, always start with the lower baking time and increase as needed. So good! 1/2 cup butter is 8 oz not 4 ozs! They are incredible! It smells like heaven, and is exactly the kind of evening we needed. I am not a baker and yet this turned out perfectly. I used this recipe to make my brothers wedding cake. Minis baked at 350 in about 14 minutes with cups filled to the top. I just tasted one of the chunks (for research, clearly, not as an excuse to have cake for breakfast ;) ) and its sugar!! It would be impossible to overstate the urgency of such a desire! This was my first experience with Valrhona cocoa power. This cake would feed one of them, maybe 2 if they were forced to share. What am I doing wrong??? OXO Good Grips Large Offset Spatula $10.94 Amazon Buy Now Save to Wish List I was a bit worried when I added the buttermilk and it went quite lumpy, but I guess thats what you meant by uneven. I added the powdered sugar and butter to the chocolate at the same time, and while my frosting turned out fine, it took a decent bit of beating to get the lumps out. As a non-cake baker, I really appreciate a recipe that will be easy, and delicious, no matter how hard I try to mess it up. The icing was fluffy goodness perfectly spreadable, delightfully lickable. Emily Im not sure how well this holds a clear shape (you might use the Chocolate Butter Cake here, for more of a pound cake effect) but this would be otherwise just find in a round pan. And hey, if you are someone who doesnt occasionally have a need for rainbow-confetti-ed and chocolate buttercream-ed chocolate cake that is so loud, it drowns out everything else, please step away from my cake. If youre not used to U.S. frostings at all (which, of course, are very sweet), it might seem over-the-top. I am quite pleased. Anna You can replace all of the buttermilk with wine, because wine is an acidic ingredient (almost a match in ph, if I remember correctly from my research a few years ago). I made mini-cupcakes for my son. I just made this cake and its amazing. I just wanted to correct you because I dont want you to accidentally mess up anything you bake in the future as you would be using way too much butter. Deb, re: your comment to me above, I may have been a little hasty in my judgment as the first taste while mixing hadnt had time to settle in with all the sugar and butter so the flavor was still overwhelmingly bitter. Id LOVE any advice you have. I made this (in a Transformer-shaped silicone cake pan) for my sons 6 year old birthday party last weekend. We found it didnt need as much in the more exhaustive testing for the book however, if youre happy with the rise, dont touch it. Thanks for this! A couple berries and a tuft of whipped cream are optional, but not really."-- @smittenkitchen. Not sure how much it holds, but probably. I made 1.5 x the amount of batter in the cake recipe to make two relatively thinner 9 round layers and doubled the frosting recipe and I had plenty to ice the cake. I reduced the total sugar to 270g (so 135g in the original size), made it GLUTEN FREE by using brown rice flour, and also used rice milk soured with lime juice in place of the buttermilk. But I am living in a country free of baking powder (Switzerland!). Mel For a whiskable frosting, well, its all about how strong your arms are. The only change I had to make was baking it for an extra 4 minutes (total 26) and really should have continued baking it because it was still somewhat underdone. But since I have been paleo for two years now, I find almond-flour baked goods much more fulfilling than wheat flour goods. So I added some whole milk until it was smooth enough to spread and then baked it for 25 minutes. All in all, not a problem. This is the MOST delicious and eye-pealing chocolate cake I have ever seen. Website question/suggestion (maybe someone asked for this already?) Did not have the right size pan so baked 6 delicious cupcakes. Today my work email was hacked and my computer was down for several hours so I baked this cake, because obviously it was a day that NEEDED CAKE. Thank you, this one will become a regular go-to recipe for sure!! I wisely made 1/2 batch of frosting which was for me the perfect amount. And so easy to make. Im thrilled on both counts. Im making these for my daughters birthday. Thanks so much! I didnt want chocolate cake 5 minutes ago, but now I do. I made this in a 6 inch pan as a two layer cake as someone else mentioned. The cake is in the oven! Ingredients Makes 12-16 servings Cake: 1 cup (8 ounces or 230 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar 2 large eggs 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract 2/3. Congrats and thanks for this recipe! I also did simple chocolate ganache instead of buttercream frosting. SUCH a successful recipe!! I thought that coffee was acidic in itself. Love the single layer recipe. p.s. A family favourite in our house. Will the N years ago parts be automated after that? belgian brownie cakelets. If you follow the instructions TO THE LETTER and mix in the drys just until everything is wet, you end up with a thin batter with tiny butter/sugar capsules distributed throughout. 4 teaspoons salt 2 chocolate bar biscuit croissant topping 1 jelly cotton candy jelly gummies 2 cups liquorice chocolate 2 jelly beans bonbon 2 caramels tart gummi bears 6 butterscotch caramel lollipops Hey Deb! My solution was: I didnt frost the cake after baking but kept the frosting in the fridge and the cake on the counter in cling film . Its hard from the fridge and would need to be warmed up a little and possibly re-whipped. Melting and cooling is an annoying process. What a great idea. Thank you! But still it came out nicely, pretty dense almost like a brownie which was a plus. handfulofshadows I dont think theyll be automated because I dont think theres a way to do it the way I want them to look. It will now be my go-to recipe when chocolate cake is called for. Made this into a tiny layer cake for my antisocial pandemic birthday by baking it in two six-inch round Pyrex dishes. This will be the first time hes been away for his birthday. Chocolate cake, with rainbow sprinkles, is simply the best thing ever. Brought this to a neighbors party and gleefully watched as it was gobbled up. I think you might mean 185 grams of butter rather than 85g? Rebecca Here you go. Plush, soft, the icing was fluffy. Deb, I love you. If it has larger pockets, just needed more mixing of the leavening before adding the flour. Its just about done baking, weve moved on to beers (Im sorry, but a Belgian white ale pairs unbelievably well with the smell of chocolate cake) and I had to say thank you. I used an 8 round for the cake, and put the extra in a small pyrex which my hubby and I devoured last night, without benefit of frosting. I need to get some to keep them in reserve for when I want cake (which is today and always). Update: went ahead and tried it anyways it was definitely enough for the naked cake look, ie just inside and on top! I was thinking of starting with your dreamy cream scones as base and use browned butter. Every time I saw, chocolate, my mouth goes to water. Do you think I could skip the cocoa and/or replace the weight with more powdered sugar? I made this cake for my boyfriends birthday. I made this and it was so delicious! Except for the recommended 16-small-square servings, which she thought were deprivingly undersized. Thanks for keeping us all entertained! At 11 weeks, mine are fish (every kind except the rare tuna salad sandwich), risotto or risotto-like creations, and chocolate in most forms. This looks like heaven! Out of buttermilk can I add a bit of vinegar to some slim milk.think I will wait until I get the buttermilk hate to tamper with a great recipe. But the choice of recipes plus the use of WEIGHTS for ingredients overpowered me. I added a heaping teaspoon of expresso powderDELICIOUS AND EASY. Im salivating on my keyboard here. I NEVER comment, but this hit me right in my stress-baking sweet spot and I made it yesterday with a three year old and a baby underfoot. It came out perfectly baked, not very risen. Its fabulous and the husband pronounced it the best chocolate cake hes ever eaten. Could you really taste it in the scone? Not a recipe to save, though the pictures are pretty. i used thinned greek yogurt for the buttermilk. What a treat for a weeknight! Planning to make 30 mini cupcakes. The key here is the. Its almost like.dinner. This is the Cake! Serving size I guess its just us that cuts cake into small pieces? had seconds. Do I still need to mix dry ingredients separately first? Is dont worry if your batter Is uneven the understatement of the century, or is it not supposed to curdle like a putrid mess before becoming smooth? The cupcakes stayed moist and were flipping delicious. Hi Deb! Beat it on high, scrape down the bowl, beat it some more, etc, until its mixable. Allyson No reason at all to pack before weighing; packing wont affect weight. Youre not tired of it by the time its gone. #allhailpi! Very observant! This is the first time Ive heard someone else refer to this saying. The cake was delicious! and I was almost out of everything I combined some cream and some milk and a bit if apple cider vinegar since I didnt have buttermilk and it worked great! Think of it as my New York Sheet Cake, intense (the impact of cocoa and unsweetened chocolate should not be underestimated), rich (butter, in all of it), tiny (one-eighth of a sheet, to be particular) and quick to make, so you can just because you want it but not have it stay long enough to cause any permanent damage. Husband is on a single layer cake (he calls them sheet cakes, even though the ones I make at his request, are not) bender right now. if you double a 9-inch round or 8-inch square in a 913, its a pretty good match, but the cake will be ever-so-slightly thicker but close enough. You can almost definitely use 3 eggs, but use 2 whole and 2 yolks if you want it extra-rich. I had the great idea to make this today. weight gain which I finally lost, literally, three weeks before this second pregnancy. 1 tablespoons cream or whole milk happy days all the way from Ireland. Baked 25 minutes in a convection oven. If so, then it was the decrease in sugar. Thanks again for your wonderful recipes, they never cease to impress me. I would triple the frosting, especially if you wish to coat the sides as well. Raspberries & chocolate- what could be bad? (But only share if they offer to do dishes.). NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER A BON APPETIT and EPICURIOUS BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR The long-awaited new book from the best-selling and beloved author of The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook and Smitten Kitchen Every Daya collection of essential recipes for meals you'll want to prepare a. When I made it entirely with runny yoghurt the sugar amount seemed ok, but with coffee replacing some of the sugar it is a tad too sweet. Also the fact that its delicious and practically gone doesnt hurt! . Thanks for replying! 1/2 teaspoon table or fine sea salt, Frosting Im glad to know we share the same pregnancy cravings :) makes me not feel so bad about the 24 chocolate cupcakes I just HAD to make last week. I really really loved this recipe. If so, how would I defrost? Ill update accordingly, suggesting you just mix it until smooth. . Mainly, you need an acidic ingredient and beer seems to be acidic, from what Ive read. Incidentally, this is only a couple of steps away from my go-to brownie recipe. This is a seriously good cake. For an Oreo vibe, you can do a full swap with black cocoa or even a half-swap (half regular cocoa) because its so intense, little is needed to Oreo (like, as a verb) a whole cake. If you double a 99 in a 913, its less of perfect match; the cake might end up 1.5x thicker. I dont like a lot of icing on my cake. Do let it clabber for 10 to 15 minutes for a thicker texture. Thank you! im 9 years old! Just putzen this cake into the oven- if itll taste anything like the uncooked batter I just liked off the bowl Ill probably not make another chocolate cake recipe. I mean, us. I was going to pick something more complicated, but it is great I did not because: Deb- Yes! No extra dish, too. (I thought the cake was perfect by itself; kids wanted frosting; I ate cake and frosting separately and was in heaven!) Thanks! Reading this blog right now brings back so many memories. I used the alternative to buttermilk she mentions and used 1/2 cup strong coffee and 1/4 cup whole fat Greek yogurt (though doubled in my case, and the cake was deeply chocolatey and moist. Yes, thats odd, I know, but its also good. Magda I dont have the functionality at this time, but Id love to get it if possible. I found you last year, bought the book, and have since made at least a dozen cakes and more. Totally respect that! Same with frosting. This looks so delicious, and I cant wait to try this recipe out. also, i love stout in a cake as an option as well. I will be making a mid-afternoon trip (through the snow!) . Thank you! I look forward to giving this one a try too. And I think the frosting recipe is one of the best Ive ever made. I have made the recipe three times now. Its moist and rich, but not too sweet I may just have some for breakfast tomorrow! My main purpose in commenting, however, is to commend you on your perfect parenting skills. Can you help? Or maybe get one of these? He loves chocolate sweets, but Im trying to eat better and curb our snacking especially sweets. Your suggestion to cut it into 16 pieces was hard to obey, but I did. Ive made your version of this food processor frosting a bajillion times and its amazing. Is your oven temperature accurate? :) (Also, see Joannes comment!). Seriously, we love it so much!! Cant wait to try this combination. and it was AMAZING. I have 2 teenage boys. :). I made the cakes in two 6in pans and it took a lot longer than what was written for one 8in square. Have you ever made the King Arthur cake pan cake? Fran You can use coffee for most of the buttermilk and Ive heard good things about mayo too. Also, I doubled the cake recipe to make a 139 cake but did not double the frosting recipe; it covered it just fine. I would say it is a great, deeply chocolatey cake. This was my first butter-based cake, and I think it turned out quite well! Meanwhile, Uncle Vixen had bought unsweetened cocoa rather than unsweetened chocolate for the frosting, so I had to find a sort of halfway point between Debs recipe and the one on the back of the cocoa bag (which assumes a double layer of cake, natch) w/r/t proportions of cocoa, butter, and milk; also I had to deal with the same issue of the stand mixer not really being able to reach all of the frosting; also I splashed the vanilla and the frosting tasted Very Strongly of it when it was finally done. I hope I can get to the bottom of it. I saw the title and that you started yours really late in the day too. This is my go-to site for recipes. I mean, you can have a slice but after that you have to go home and make your own. I love your little person for inspiring you to post this. I know that you do them by hand right now, and I totally admire your patience with that, hence the q :). The Double Chocolate Layer Cake is amazing, as is the Peanut Butter Chocolate Cakes cake layers (although I prefer the Double Layer) but this just wins. Delicious! This was delicious, especially the frosting! I tried to make this cake, but the batter curdled when I added the thinned yogurt Im in week 11 and only the thought that morning sickness is about to end keeps me going! and that suited nicely. I made it for my moms birthday and everyone was really impressed. Ive also just made it as square. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. I messed up the icing (used four tbsp of butter instead of 8?! Simple, rich, delicious, perfect. The same thing happened when I tried making the pink lady (strawberry) cake. Its very forgiving as well, we are moving (hence stressed-out me really needed cake immediately!) Im using a Williams-Sonoma Gold Touch 88 here. 1. Maybe I just mismeasured, do you think? http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/king-arthur-flours-original-cake-pan-cake-recipe, It has been my go to I-need-chocolate-cake-right-now recipe for years. Also, Deb, keep doing what youre doing! I had to laugh at your comment about sweet potatoes. Does it bake well this way? Plus, if its sitting under frosting the whole time, the frosting will slowly soak into the cake. Higher in the middle tho I thought I evenly spread it. Thanks for responding! Letting the batter sit hasnt been a problem for me. I also used to subscribe to the view that cake is just a vehicle for icingand then I made this cake. i got 12 standard size cupcakes plus one bigger one, made in a custard cup. i made this into cupcakes. Mmmm chocolate cake. I found it in March, around when quarantine started and for a couple of months, I made it every Saturday to celebrate another week of quarantine. 2.5 times the recipe? :). WOWjust made this for my oversize cupcake cake. This will be my go to chocolate cake recipe! A question about the eggs. Sometimes when I really need chocolate cake I cant find this recipe! I made the chocolate buttercream with 2 tbs of melted butter and 6 tbs of unsweetened cocoa powder to sub for the unsweetened chocolate and it worked beautifully. 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature I made this a few weeks ago, and made the frosting as written whereas normally I use powdered cocoa. I deviated ever-so-slightly by topping it with a cream cheese frosting, simply due to the vibe I was feeling. ps Rebecca @ DisplacedHousewife, i didnt see your reply until now (i am excited for the eventual SK revamp that includes replies :)) but i have indeed learned that esp with a gas stove again i can leave the butter there when the stove is off and it gets to room temp perfectly! Cut into squares and prepare for your family/roommates to completely freak out when they spy it on the counter. In your opinion, is there a great deal of variation in the taste of the different brands available? Wow, just wow. Fantastic chocolatey goodness. Now Im craving chocolate cake! Dear Deb, I seem to have screwed up the frosting, and Im not sure how. I did increase to 1/2 tsp of baking soda because I used Hersheys (not Dutch process), but kept a 1/4 tsp baking powder because it was GF flour. I just made your best birthday cake with the addition of chocolate chips for my fiances birthday, and he requested a chocolate buttercream frosting. We opted for a few fresh strawberry slices on each little square and it was just right. You and your blog bring me great joy! I was skeptical that such a simple recipe could produce such an amazing cake BUT IT DID. Im curious, though, is there no formatting to just see the recipe for printing or just to simplify viewing while trying to make. The second batch was even better than the first. Thank you for this easy small cake! You cant ever going wrong with chocolate cake! Finish with rainbow sprinkles; dont even fight it. perfection. and I think the secret is to always push the frosting from the center out, not pull it back. Follow. I did use butter and sour cream in the recipe, so I guess it is primal, not paleo. 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt mine clocks in at 5 grams vs. the 6 grams of table salt. every mouthful is perfect. I turned this into a dairy-free, stacked birthday cake with the following adjustments: -doubled the recipe Chocolate cake. I like a center filled with frosting, which is one reason I have never been enamored of cupcakes either. Is it very winey? If anyone is like me and has a Costco sized version of coconut oil theyre all too eager to use (vs expensive organic butter), use coconut oil! Such a perfect moist crumb on this cake it must be the buttermilk! If square, 300 to 325%. Hands down the best chocolate icing Ive ever had! Since there are so many positive reviews Id look beyond the recipe for another cause of the dryness and blandness you experienced. I upped the amount of chocolate in the frosting to approx 80grams by accident but it tasted delish. Well, my healthy lunch of last nights leftovers seems utterly unsatisfying now. However, just a small critique, the instructions re: eggs is very confusing and actually ended up leaving me short. O.M.G. I literally said 2 minutes ago I think we will just have leftovers for dinner, but I could really use a chocolate cake Fate brought me and this recipe together! I finished it with wilton buttercream frosting. All that to say, I enjoyed a piece of your chocolate cake for breakfast enormously. This morning, in search of a chocolate cake recipe to make for Fun Night at my childrens school (Cake Walk is a big deal), I felt it was meant to be that this recipe was front page news! Oh and happy 2nd baby on the way to you! big apple crumb cake. Its got neither the slight fudge-like tendencies of a rich chocolate cake, nor the depth of flavor you need in a good crumb-textured cake. Oh, and funny how I only noticed the s shapes after I read your notes on how to swirl the frosting ;), I made this last night and it is amazing. Thank you! Hey Deb, I still use your Double Chocolate Layer cake every year for my husbands birthday. I dont normally make cakes with frosting because its that much more of a time commitment, plus you normally end up with a ton of cake and its just my husband and me at our house. Also, someone posted back in February (timely response, I know) that their batter was runny. This is definitely my go-to chocolate cake. My boys and I made this tonight. Thank you for the laughs and the chocolate as I wrap up my hell week! Rich as can be, uber chocolate-y, not overly sweet (an absolute hallmark of all Smitten Kitchen cakes, and why her cake recipes are THE BEST). Just took it out of the oven and I can already tell by the smell that this things going to be good. My friends, family and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very very much :) (See more details on how I figure this out below, but it sounds like you already know. You mention that the frosting is generous for an 88, but is it enough to cover a 913 (to satisfaction)? And so easy in the food processor a first for me! I made it on Saturday with my 5 year old and it was a huge success among adults and kids alike. No one goes without at least a two layer cake for their birthday now. What I loved about it is that it was not too sweet which made the frosting necessary and special. :D. I did swap the buttermilk for full-fat yogurt and then also added coffee (2 tablespoon of instant coffee mixed with 4 tablespoons of hot water), whose liquid was intended to replace some the liquid from the buttermilk. In my defense, I ate most of it over the course of a whole weekend, standing up with nary a fork or plate in sight. This cake sounds heavenly and, well, just too darn cute. Then I went to Copenhagen, staying in a strangers apartment through Airbnb, and your cookbook was in this Danish womans kitchen! And its the perfect size to not hurt yourself :). Thanks! Hands down the best frosting Ive ever made! (Keep 1/4 cup buttermilk so youll have an acidic ingredient to wake up the baking soda.). Mmmmmmmm. It turned out rather thick, but spreadable, and so delicious. Its so beautiful! Thanks!! In a small saucepan, melt your butter over medium heat, stirring for even cooking. The first time I did it, I gave you a were not worthy bow b/c I had been stuck in a Swiss Meringue Buttercream nightmare. I might have eaten what was left straight out of the bowl with a spoon, but we wont ask too many questions, right? Kate I havent done it, but if I were going to, my approach would be to replace the buttermilk with 3/4 cup mashed banana. Thanks. I want cake now! I dont have any personally tested high-altitude baking tips, but understand the ones on King Arthurs site are great. You never disappoint. Thanks for the spot-on recipe and the best chocolate cake Ive eaten in a long time. I just made this on Friday after hearing about it on Call Your Girlfriend. My daughter made us all pancakes this morning for our Snow Day breakfast, and she has already pulled the ingredients out for this. I was sick for the first four or five months and couldnt really eat anything that wasnt starch plus dairy (mac and cheese, cheese enchiladas, etc.) Its easy, moist, bakes in 25 min. My question: my daughter wants a chocolate-strawberry cake for her birthday. and fat. And to top it off, hubby, the pickiest cake eater I know, who rarely finishes a slice, had seconds. apparently they dont use baking soda here but then what? Would I leave the recipes as is if doing cupcakes and adjust baking time? ;), THANK YOU for this recipe I made it yesterday its delicious. I like the size. My mind is blown! Dear hubs just made me two flower beds where I was hoping he would so I can plant morning glories and sunflowers I started from seedhe deservs this cake! Thats what I usually have on hand. I subbed joghurt for the buttermilk and reduced sugar to 100 g (sorry my German taste buds cant handle the original sweetness ) and used white spelt flour instead of wheat flour. I dont even like frosting but Im drooling at the sight of yours! I thought it wasnt quite chocolately enough (mightve been the quality of my chocolate, to be fair), so I ended up adding a scant 1/4tsp of almond extract and 1/4 tsp of espresso powder, and that livened it up a little. ahh, you just need to adjust it this way: the speckling is a *feature* rather than a detriment. Followed the recipe exactly and made 14 cupcakes (baked for 19 minutes). Still, much better by then. And maybe use vanilla bean instead of extract? I frosted it with a chocolate Swiss butter-cream and fresh strawberriesI even dusted it it with confectioners sugar just to make it a little more beautiful. I felt bonded to this woman Id never met through your cookbook. I used a bit less coconut oil (maybe a big 1/3 cup) and it was perfect. I cant find her recipe anywhere and am excited to try yours to see if I can make the dreams stop! Im fairly new to gluten-free cooking, but learned a good trick to get rid of the sometimes gritty taste the baked goods can have: let the batter rest for 30 min before baking. Emily If my notes are correct from the last time I converted it, youll get 12 standard. Just made this today. I am so impressed with how tender, moist the crumb is for such a low butter content (I used yoghurt rather than buttermilk) will definitely be making this on repeat! Are you saying this is not normal? This cake was outstanding! Ive read that German baking powder is single-acting while U.S. baking powder is double-acting, but I wouldnt worry about it so much for this recipe. Ive cut down the sugar a bit over the years, a little each time I make it, but Im not planning to dip further than this. So Im logging this recipe away until after August, and I wont be sharing with the new tiny one AT ALL. I made this cake tonight for my daughters 3rd birthday and it came out PERFECTLY. I sooo remember that feeling of if I dont have whatever it is Im craving right now, I will die feeling from my pregnancies. Hmm, in the spirit of, I have to make this cake right nowIve just discovered I dont have unsweetened chocolate for the frosting. Used a round pan and used homemade curd for buttermilk. Thank you! And Im a recent grad, now. Made it last weekend. or a combination of stout/buttermilk? Ive had great success with them. The perfect antidote to absolutely needing a chocolate fix. Red wine chocolate cake, mocha chocolate cake: You could replace the buttermilk in full with yogurt or sour cream thinned with a little milk or water, with red wine or replace 1/2 cup of it with strong coffee. I do so love other grown women who know that the necessity of rainbow sprinkles is a real thing. I am about to make the vanilla frosting. Yes, although you wont need much to thin it. So, I made the cake. :) xx. SOS i have my boyfriends bday coming up and I know thats what hed love! I wish I could reach in a try a slice! I baked it in an 99 square, for just about 21 mins. :). Much tastier and more fun than the box mix I was about to do instead. (!!!) Thinking of getting ahead of my sons bday next weekend. Absolutely its intended a building block. I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 913 for 40 minutes, came out perfect. Youll have more icing than you need, but of course, need is relative. best chocolate cake ever! :-O. Thats what I get for making frosting while trying to watch the Downton Abbey finale. Jane M Ugh, I give up. Many people had seconds. Next time I wont add as much sugar; I shouldve read the comments first, but live and learn! Im reading this recipe for Emergency chocolate cake while filling my mouth with your Cocoa Brownies from a couple of years ago. I cupcaked these and doubled the recipe. (I might as well admit that I lost my train of thought a few times while writing that sentence and just thought I want chocolate cake. I think youre rubbing off on me :) ). This is kind of like a cross between a brownie and chocolate cake, but not like a cakey brownie, if that makes sense. I am definitely making and eating this on the weekend. Have a great one Deb! Hello Jen, sometimes I avoid cake recipes like this that require creaming the butter and sugar, because Ive heard that its actually tough to get that step exactly right. (What a little jerk, amiright?) I rescued a broken buttercream Id attempted for a friends birthday and added freeze-dried raspberry powder to it.
Elara Pictures Internship, Clive Myrie Neck Surgery, Accident On A24 Today, Articles S