Inhale, exhale. His son and wife were unable to relocate to the United States until 1995. November 11, 2022 New York Liberty guard, Sabrina Ionescu rejoins her alma mater as the director of athletic culture. On December 6, 1997, Sabrina Ionescu was born in Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County, California. It's like, we're in for something special tonight. It was hard. (Photo . Ionescu comes close to another triple-double with 10 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists. Posts. Sopak: Even though I didn't know until, I think, eight minutes before the deadline, when you step back and look at it, it was like that was the only thing she was going to do, if you know Sabrina. His parents, tefan and Mariana Grasu, migrated from Romania to the USA in 1982. In recent years, basketball phenom Sabrina Ionescu has used her talent to lead the Oregon Ducks and become the face of women's college hoops. If. And he definitely helped me with that, growing up. They would compete against older men at the basketball court to win extra money. His sister, Sabrina, is a Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) professional). On Monday, Sabrina says goodbye to Oregon in an Instagram post: "Although our unfinished business will remain just that, I have been blessed to be a part of this journey." Sabrina Ionescu is an American basketball star, who plays for the New York Liberty of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). [36] Ten days later in the Ducks' 7466 win at #4 Stanford, she became the first NCAA player ever with 2,000 points, 1,000 assists, and 1,000 rebounds in a career. [53], Ionescu is engaged to former Oregon football player and Las Vegas Raiders center Hroniss Grasu.[54]. National Signing Day passes, and as the only undeclared player in the McDonald's All American game;, she is named MVP after making seven 3-pointers en route to 25 points and 10 rebounds. "Sabrina Ionescu joins Oregon Ducks in part-time role". But if I did, they were only tears of joy. Nothing is ever given to us now. Bryant narrates a Detail episode praising her physicality, court awareness and midrange game. Then passing-wise, when I was in sixth grade playing with the eighth-grade team, I was obviously a lot shorter, skinnier, smaller than they were. [14] Following her second season, she was named the Pac-12 Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Year, and was also named a first team All-American by ESPN. Sabrina: I remember I was in the front yard with Eddy, and he was like, "My left hand's better than yours." 1 by New York Liberty in WNBA draft, while Gianna Bryant is an honorary pick . When they were kids, the two used to even hustle older men on the basketball court so that they could get money for Slurpees. Sabrina has 24 hours after the conclusion of her season to decide whether to declare for the WNBA draft. Id play P-I-G, collect the money, Slurpees.. I took Washington, Oregon State, Oregon, Cal. You take that on: You want to prove to everyone that you belong. I felt more alone. Basketball fans are more curious to know is Sabrina Ionescu gay or not. She was born to Romanian-American parents, Dan Lonescu and Liliana Blaj. She averaged 14.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game, ranking second on the team in scoring and rebounding, and first in assists. The great ones are like that. And then we kind of just sat down and discussed what her next plan was. [50], * 2020 NCAA tournament canceled due to COVID-19 pandemic, Ionescu is a Christian. It'd be pretty intense. Eddy: One of my favorite memories of Sabrina and I growing up was just going to the park. Dan, Sabrina's father: [The twins] always felt comfort with each other. Videos Tagged. Later, he was transferred to Oregon Ducks and played for them like his sister. Everyone's watching us. In the second round of the NCAA tournament, a 91-68 win against Indiana, Sabrina gets her first triple-double in a tournament game. Sabrina's father, Dan, didn't know which way he'd be heading the day he picked up his daughter to drive her to college. Sabrina makes college visits but doesn't make a decision about which one she'll attend until just before the summer 2016 term begins. She was born to proud and supportive parents, Dan Ionescu and Liliana Blaj. "You just see it's a little bit different in her preparation, in her focus, in her manner," he says. Case Update, Stanley Wilson Jr Wife Was He Married? Dan, Sabrina's father:[The twins] always felt comfort with each other. Sabrina is expected to be the No. 4 UConn, the school for which Gigi hoped to play. At the end of the regular season, she was named Pac-12 Freshmen of the Year and unanimous First Team All-Pac-12 and Pac-12 All-Freshman Team selection. I didn't tell anyone. Ionescu, a Walnut Creek, California native, grew up a Golden State Warriors fan and would drive the 16.5 miles west on CA-24 to watch her team from the stands of Oracle Arena. Hroniss Grasu is currently dating his girlfriend Sabrina Ionescu who is most known for having played for the New York Liberty of the Women's National Basketball Association is the all-time leading scorer in the NCAA and a gold medalist at the FIBA Americas U-16 competition (WNBA). In the historic game against Stanford, Ionescu made NCAA history. She owns a record-setting 18 career triple-doubles - the most of any student-athlete in a single season and career. She has a twin brother Edward ("Eddy"), who was born 18 minutes after her. It's her 26th career triple-double, and she makes history as the first college basketball player to compile 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists. I just know she doesn't like to lose, and that's, you know, it's her biggest strength, but it's also her biggest weakness. Hebard: When they came out with the draft, I texted her. 706K followers. Hroniss Grasu and Sabrina Ionescu are a Lovely Couple. 7 overall pick to draft sharp-shooter Stephen Curry from Davidson College. With Oregon poised for a No. [16] Ionescu became NCAA women's all-time leader in triple-doubles,[17] trailing only former BYU men's player Kyle Collinsworth (with 12) among all NCAA players.[18]. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Rob Herring Wife: Who Is Nicola Herring? 3 Oregon arrives for the first time at Gampel Pavilion for a matchup against No. In her career, Ionescu was the first player in NCAA history (male or female) to score 2,000 career points and have 1,000 career rebounds and 1,000 career assists. November 14, 2022 Sabrina Ionescu makes Forbes 30 Under 30 list for Sports. Sabrina became the first college basketball player to compile 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists the same day she spoke at Kobe and Gianna Bryant's memorial. 1 ranked point guard and No. After they went 23-14 in 2016-17, Oregon went 33-5 in 2017-18 and 2018-19. She completed her high school education in Miramonte, California, before attending the University of Oregon in Oregon. With Oregon ranked No. However, that's quite a pull, you know? Sagittarius . No statistics available for this season. ", Sabrina: They had posted something about Ja Morant getting one and said that there was only eight or seven people that ever got one in the NCAA tournament, and they listed all the men that had gotten a triple-double. Additionally, she would receive her bachelor's degree that June. I just walked into the locker room and knew we won. As a result, she became the youngest player in WNBA history to achieve a triple-double. [Laughs], Seattle or Eugene? Our dad was the outlet pass, so he didn't stop it for anything. Find out about youtube star Sabrina Ionescu: Age, What she did before fame, her family life Latest information about her on social networks Fun facts: before fame, family life, popularity rankings, and more [20] On December 20, 2018, Ionescu recorded her 13th triple-double in a game against Air Force and broke the NCAA triple-double record for both men's and women's basketball. [19] Twelve days later, she would tie the NCAA triple-double record, with her 12th triple-double in a win against Buffalo. We just started in a park, you know? Kind of like describing Sue [Bird]. 6 Oregon women's basketball past No. Ionescus stellar play in college led to her becoming the No. [10] Ionescu also made a first half buzzer beating shot from half court. There'd be fights. Sabrina Ionescu's resume is long and exceptional: Two-time Pac-12 Conference player of the year; back-to-back First-Team All-American; National Player of the Year candidate; NCAA career triple-double record holder (18); probable No. [7], Ionescu was four-year varsity basketball letter winner at Miramonte High School in Orinda, California under head coach Kelly Sopak.[8]. A lot of the Pac-12 schools, just 'cause I knew I kind of wanted to stay closer to home. They used to play football and basketball for college-level games. Ionescu was born to Romanian-American parents in Walnut Creek, California. 1 pick in the 2020 WNBA Draft to the Liberty. Christie Hemm Klok for ESPN. She absolutely killed it that game. Sabrina: I don't really think I grasped what it would be like. She has 21 points, 12 rebounds and 12 assists in the third-ranked Ducks' 74-66 win over No. She then averaged 19.7 points per game in her sophomore season to go with 7.8 assists and 6.7 rebounds, and then 19.9 points per game, 8.2 assists, and 7.4 rebounds in her junior year. [33][34] Payton personally congratulated Ionescu on the achievement. Sabrina logged 15.0 points per game in her career and 17.4 in 2022 through 36 games thus far this season. Sabrina had her share of failures, and I think that's probably the most powerful thing a coach can give a player is the struggle. In addition to the career record, Ionescu also held the Miramonte top three single season scoring records with 598 (201314), 760 (201415) and 834 (201516). I had to let her be, just because I knew her draft decision was coming up. No posts yet. He and Sabrina stay connected through the Bay Area community and its youth basketball scene. Her first language . And we were going against the No. 1 in W.N.B.A. At first he was a little skeptical. The Ducks make the NCAA tournament for the first time in 12 years, as a 10-seed. Hebard: I think it's needed. I shot 3-pointers, free throws, everything left-handed. . Ionescu also shares her knowledge with boys and girls at camps and academies, including Bryant's Mamba Sports Academy. There is no related content available. Just show the world what we can do a little more. That's what I admire most about her. Most Popular #24328. Yeah, we would just go home, eat, sleep, basketball, repeat. Like Ionescu - who used to hustle grown men for Slurpee money alongside her twin brother - Taurasi is deeply, almost scarily competitive. Hroniss Grasu, Sabrina's partner, is a well-known free agency football center who has experience playing for several clubs, including the Chicago Bears, Miami Dolphins, and San Francisco 49ers. Ionescu also helped lead the Ducks to the Final Four in 2018-19. Related Accounts. Her mother is Liliana Blaj and she has a twin brother Edward ("Eddy"). In a 2019 interview with Ava Wallace of The Washington Post, Ionescu admitted to being a "natural scorer", but said that most of the rest of her skill set came from playing alongside both boys and older girls in her childhood:[7].mw-parser-output .templatequote{overflow:hidden;margin:1em 0;padding:0 40px}.mw-parser-output .templatequote .templatequotecite{line-height:1.5em;text-align:left;padding-left:1.6em;margin-top:0}. 4 Stanford. We would get hungry, we'd want some money. The twin brother Edward (Eddy) was born 18 minutes after her. "There won't be another group like this ever.". But my teammates were ready and I tried to do everything I could to be ready in order for us to win. As a sophomore in 201314, Ionescu helped her team to a 302 record.[9]. The New York Liberty guard, 25, shared on Saturday that she and the Las Vegas Raiders center, 31, are set to wed. "It . [1] However, believing that she had "unfinished business" at Oregon, she chose to come back for her senior season. I didn't even look at the papers because I thought he just wanted me to hold them. While everyone knows that Ionescu is a baller and can compete with the best of the best on the basketball court, some might not know that she actually has a twin brother who also plays basketball. According to a 2020 story in the university's web journal Around the O, more than 70 suggestions were provided, but the four top choices were Mariota, Steve Prefontaine, Phil Knight, and Ionescu. She has played in three games with the Liberty so far. At the time, she was the highest-ranked recruit ever to commit to Oregon basketball. 706k Followers, 336 Following, 107 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Sabrina Ionescu (@sabrina_i) sabrina_i. He played basketball at City College of San Francisco. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Sabrina Ionescu was born on December 6, 1997, in Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County, California, United States. The referee came over, ejected him, and Sabrina just got up and started clapping in his face. Ionescu left Miramonte with a career winloss record of 1199 and a school-record 2,606 points scored. Eddy: We competed in everything. Edward demonstrated his talent through his victories over Utah, Oregon State, and California. Parents Ethnicity And Girlfriend, Was Karl Malone Arrested For Rape Allegations? [7] However, she had difficulty making a college choice, not signing a National Letter of Intent with any school during either the early signing period in November 2015 or the late period in April 2016. She always wanted to learn and to go to every game she could -- college, NBA, WNBA. He noted that attendance at Oregon women's games had dramatically increased during Ionescu's career at the school. Watching movies, drawing, and painting are some of my favorite things to do in my leisure time. Eddy: We didn't have these crazy expensive trainers, or these really nice exquisite gyms to go to, with the shooting machines and all this. Sabrina: Work ethic and dedication, I learned that from my parents. Wife And Net Worth Revealed. You could really see how invested everyone was. If we didnt want somebody else knowing what I wanted to do like a pick-and-pop, or watch me in the corner, or drive to the left wed say it to each other in Romanian, Eddy said, according to The Oregonian. . Sabrina Ionescu Popularity . I felt her emotional side of it, which is kind of weird to describe. He just eats, sleeps, loves everything about basketball, which is literally the same thing with her. And then Kelly didn't say anything, he just handed me the papers with the stats on it and continued to have his postgame speech. Graves: She claims that she thought I cried. Christie Hemm Klok for ESPN. She finished at Miramonte High School in Orinda, California. She brought one of Kobe's books into the locker room, and we all looked at it. Blog . So I figured that if I could rebound, I would be able to get the ball myself. Sabrina: It tore me apart. Athlete #20 @nike 24 2. She also posted seven double-doubles, ranked third in the Pac-12 and 29th in the NCAA with 183 assists on the year. On Feb. 3, with so many still in mourning, No. Oregon Ducks point guard Sabrina Ionescu sits down with Maria Taylor and opens up about the strong bond she has with her twin brother Eddy Ionescu and her pa. You know, post their top-fives in Instagram and Twitter and let everyone know. Sabrina, at the memorial: If I represented the women's game, Gigi was the future, and Kobe knew it. Her elder brother is Andrei Ionescu. The Ducks then went 31-2 in 2019-20 with Ionescu. Sabrina: Everything that I'm going to do, I'm going to make sure that he stays close. Like regular kids. Sabrina enrolls at Oregon and for the first time lives apart from Eddy, who stays in the Bay Area and enrolls at City College of San Francisco. These shoes will be priced at $170 per pair. As the story's author Damian Foley put it, Yes, Sabrina Elaine Ionescu, who only earned her diploma in 2019, is considered by UO fans to be one of the four greatest Ducks ever, standing alongside such greats as Marcus Mariota, Steve Prefontaine, and the alumnus who co-founded Nike and made the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact possible. . She was born with her twin brother named Edward, also named Eddy, who was born just 18 minutes after Sabrina was born. 1 overall pick in the 2020 WNBA draft by the New York Liberty. If they would see something scary, a dog or something, they would reach at each other's hands, not at our hands as parents. She was born with her twin brother named Edward also called Eddy, who was born only 18 minutes after the birth of Sabrina. Regardless, if I had to be home for dinner at 8, we'd play 'til 9, until I would win, and then I'd be like, "All right, we can go home now.". He also appeared in games against Utah, Oregon State, and California. Graves: I didn't know who had her ear, quite frankly. Sabrina was born in Walnut Creek, California, on December 6, 1997. March 28, 2020. Ionescu started at Oregon the year after Grasu was drafted. Death Cause And Mental HealthContinue, Katrina Gorry Partner Clara Markstedt is a Swedish football player who competes for Vittsjo GIK. Stanley, Read More Stanley Wilson Jr Wife Was He Married? Playing people for money, for Slurpees, whatever it was. EUGENE, Ore. Sabrina Ionescu woke not long after dawn in her small apartment, laced up her black Nikes and walked across a deserted street to the looming arena where she had . 1 defensive team. [45], On July 6, 2022, Ionescu had 31 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists to record the first 30-point triple-double in WNBA history.[46]. Source: Forbes After the NCAA made the extraordinary decision last week to cancel its tournaments in an effort to slow the coronavirus pandemic, Ionescu lost the opportunity to win the championship that has eluded her and her Oregon Ducks, the one for which she delayed entry to the WNBA to try to claim. She embarked on a historic career with the Ducks and eventually became the No. "She's a legend in her own right, that's for sure." Parents Age And Net Worth RevealedContinue, Your email address will not be published. The couple recently got engaged on January 20, 2023, and Ionescu even shared a photo from their engagement on her Instagram account. It motivates her to go back and practice more from learning from her mistakes." Sabrina Ionescu gets nervous. 336 following. , Read More Demetress Bell Wife Is He Married? He'd come to visit, but not having him always to talk to in person was a lot different for me. Eddy Ionescu, aka Edward 'Vortex' Ionescu, followed the same path as her sister and is a professional basketball player like her sister. Oregon coach Kelly Graves has developed a sense for nights when his star will get a triple-double. There weren't many girls' programs for her as she was growing up, but she found a way to continue to improve and pushed herself to be the best. [42], The next season, on May 18, 2021, Ionescu recorded her first professional triple-double. The junior is a brilliant mentor in the University of Oregon community, a strong Christian, a . 2 Duke en route to an improbable Elite Eight matchup against top-seeded UConn. April 17, 2020 Nike, Inc. signs WNBAs #1 overall pick, Sabrina Ionescu to multiyear endorsement deal which will include signature footwear and apparel..mw-parser-output cite.citation{font-style:inherit;word-wrap:break-word}.mw-parser-output .citation q{quotes:"\"""\"""'""'"}.mw-parser-output .citation:target{background-color:rgba(0,127,255,0.133)}.mw-parser-output .id-lock-free a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-free a{background:url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Lock-green.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output .id-lock-limited a,.mw-parser-output .id-lock-registration a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-limited a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-registration a{background:url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Lock-gray-alt-2.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output .id-lock-subscription a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-subscription a{background:url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Lock-red-alt-2.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output .cs1-ws-icon a{background:url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Wikisource-logo.svg")right 0.1em center/12px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output .cs1-code{color:inherit;background:inherit;border:none;padding:inherit}.mw-parser-output .cs1-hidden-error{display:none;color:#d33}.mw-parser-output .cs1-visible-error{color:#d33}.mw-parser-output .cs1-maint{display:none;color:#3a3;margin-left:0.3em}.mw-parser-output .cs1-format{font-size:95%}.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-left{padding-left:0.2em}.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-right{padding-right:0.2em}.mw-parser-output .citation .mw-selflink{font-weight:inherit}"Nike signs #1 pick Sabrina Ionescu to multiyear endorsement deal". Playing him was not always easy, but I do improve because he's harder to play. Her two brothers are. Marc Spears on Blazers guard Damian Lillard, who reps his hometown on and off the court. She is also the all-time leader in assists (769), steals (549) and triple-doubles (21). 1 pick in the 2020 draft. She received the 2019 John R. Wooden Award and both the 2018 and 2019 Nancy Lieberman Award. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Sabrina: He believed in me, and he knew that this is kind of what happens your freshman year, you just figure out how you're supposed to play, what works, what doesn't work. Liliana: I still feel like I'm just living in dreams, especially at the bigger games, and when I know that next year she's going to join a professional team, it's something that I never thought was going to happen. She was diagnosed the next day with a[42] grade 3 sprain, and was expected to miss about one month while recovering. [3] By that time, Dan owned a limousine service in Northern California, where he had chosen to settle because he had several extended family members in that area. Liliana Blaj, Sabrina's mother: She's the hardest self-critic. Ionescu also held the single-game scoring record of 43 points vs. Pinewood High School while being double- and triple-teamed and the single game record in assists with 19 at Dublin High School. Basketball Player Born in California #37. Sabrina Ionescu and her father Dan Ionescu (Source: OregonLive) Graves: She takes it to heart. I did not cry. . He drove to my house to pick me up [Sabrina's parents had divorced], not knowing whether we were going to drive to U-Dub or Oregon. [52] Ionescu is also very close friends with former teammate Ruthy Hebard. When I was younger, I was always playing with the guys, and I had to find ways to get the ball, because they never wanted to pass to me. Reels. A January 2019 mock draft by ESPN, incorporating input from WNBA personnel and ESPN women's basketball analysts, concluded that Ionescu was a possible top pick should she declare. During that time, her father's wife was Liliana Blaj, who was living apart from her only husband. Sabrina-Ionescu with her team meat. Sopak: Sabrina didn't start until halfway through her freshman year, and 99 out of 100 parents would have been calling a meeting saying, "My daughter's the best player on the floor. Eddy Ionescu, sometimes known as Edward "Vortex" Ionescu, is a professional basketball player like her sister and followed a similar career.
Stillgelegter Flugplatz Autofahren, Willingham's Learning Theory Strengths And Weaknesses, Articles S