The cryptid, usually described as a towering, hairy monster, is allegedly a human cursed to take beastly form. Once the rougarou settled into southern Louisianas swampy shadows, it took on some aspects of local Native American cryptids, such as a legendary Choctaw shapeshifting owl-witch. The Rougarou, also known as the loup-garou, is essentially Louisiana's bayou-dwelling werewolf, and it's a prominent figure in Cajun folklore. The villagers would capture people they believed to be a loup-garou and then hold a public trial. HubPages is a registered trademark of The Arena Platform, Inc. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. In one version, the beast hunts down and kills anyone who doesnt follow the rules of Lent. Thats what we in Louisiana call the Rougarou, cher. Hi, I live in Terrebonne Parish near swampy land that was formerly called Devils Swamp. For Foret and many other Cajun residents in the area, the real possibility that climate change will eventually force them from their homes is particularly upsetting. They described it as a cross between a whimpering dog and human crying. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. Once the human is cursed, it is permanent. I need to do some more research on those spirits! No matter how you spell it, the Rougarou, Roux-Ga-Roux, Rugaroo, Rugaru, or Loup Garou is a werewolf type creature living in the folklore of Cajun French Louisiana. Lover of writing, learning and teaching others about new things. Its a hybrid mixture of escaped circus chimpanzees and alligators which now live in the swamps of St. Tammany Parish. Local sanitation workers have supposedly reported seeing them raiding garbage cans or chasing trucks. It stands upright on two legs, and is covered in hair. The brave friend dismissed what she saw for a moment and continued to search for the purse in the dark. Despite the Rougarou legend seemingly beginning as a way to scare Catholics and children, many locals maintain its existence and have their own personal stories, especially among the older generation. Even the act of self-defense could be life-altering. I had been riding my bike through the trails in the woods that were in the back of Laplace Park. The two children ran the entire way home, about of a mile. Deep within the swamps of south Louisiana, legend has it, there lives the Rougarou a legendary werewolf sort creature with sharp claws and glowing eyes. The bright lights of the stars flicker in the murky licks of the waves near the towering, ominous Cypress trees. Curious Louisianaconnects readers with our newsroom's reporting. 7910 park ave houma, la (985) 580-7289 . Recently I saw a picture of a bear with severe mange which looked like how people describe werewolves and rougarous. And speaking of scaring Catholics, one French Catholic myth claims that in order for someone to turn into a Rougarou, they must break Lent seven years in a row. The curse is transferred when it draws another human's blood. But now, the story of the once-terrifying rougarou is changing, along with the coastal wetlands it has long called home. The beast is also a hit in pop culture here in Louisiana. Tell your version of this mythical creature in Louisiana in the comments below! Loup-garou. However, according to other accounts, there is no escape from the curse. Deep in the rural wooded swamp of Livingston Parish and young girl was having a friend of hers spend the night. These monsters are said to roam the cities, swamps, and scary places of Louisiana in search of their next victims, and its to your benefit to stay educated if you want any hope of survival. Even if I didnt believe his story, I believe his demeanor when recounting it. The commuter stated Unlike the sloth, it was man-like. Full report can be found on bfro.net Report #514. At the time of the encounter the officer had no working knowledge of Bigfoot or sasquatch, but having a degree in anthropology left no doubt in the officers mind what he saw was most defiantly not a large, naked, human being. According to some other accounts, the process of transferring the curse involves the willingly human drawing the blood of the Rougarou. The Rougarou is also thought to be nothing more than a bogeyman story to scare children or Catholics into obedience. Outside of the infamous Honey Island Swamp Monster, there were not many stories that I found in my preliminary search. Were not afraid. Its rumored that Lutins can take any form, including cats (especially white ones), hobgoblins, elves, and other strange creatures. She says a local boy was being followed by a dog when he decided to cut it with his pocketknife. I dont remember verbatim what he told me that day but the gist of that conversation has stuck in my psyche with clarity for nearly 30 years. Childrens authors have started using alligators as characters. This creature, also called Loup garou, is so popular it was depicted on the hit television series Supernatural. I remember when the physician shot himself here in Lockport. I realized that parts of our folklore and our oral traditions were getting lost, he says. Nope, not The GrinchThe Grunch. Heed our warning and be on the look out for cajun folklore monsters when youre roaming the wildest parts of the bayou state. Cajun legend says that the beast hunts down Catholics who don't follow the rules of Lent. The mud was too sloppy to retain any prints. Other variations say a Rougarou can turn their victims merely by making eye contact. If you have lived in Louisiana, there is a significant chance you have heard the lore of the Rougarou (also spelled as Rouxgaroux). And above all else, remember thisdont go into the swamps alone! The story of the Letieche is Louisianas Jungle Book. If you werent already aware, New Orleans has a prominent vampire subculture. There was a significant belief in the beast by the populace that people were put on trial and found guilty of being the fabled beast. After being spotted, the creature ran between two houses then continued to the street when it passed under a streetlight. Why do Bud's Broiler's burger prices conflict? Did your house get ransacked during the night? The different versions of the Rougarou beast are as many as reported sightings of the beast. Over the decades, numerous people have talked of an ape-like creature or creatures living in swamps. She describes the Rougarou as "an important identification marker for South Louisiana's culture." We all have a notion that this world is a lot stranger than it seems on a surface level. Email Joni Hess at joni.hess@theadvocate.com. It was getting late so I was heading back to my dads house for the evening. He sees it as an example of the way cryptids evolve alongside the cultures that created them. Discover the secrets of Louisiana lifestyle and explore Ruston, home of the Peach Festival. The short answer is oral tradition. Its essentially a werewolf with a cajun spin on it. The jury is still out on this one, because people cant seem to figure out exactly what the Lutin isand theres good reason! The seminary student continued to stand still to observe further when the creature started to pace back in fourth just out of sight, beyond the tree line, all why still producing the strange whimpers. How did one Louisiana town's name get a bizarre pronunciation? The creature stood upright on two legs. Once the girl was halfway to the vehicle she noticed her friend was still standing at the front door of the house. If you dont have the stomach to fight the beast, you can protect yourself through other means. They take up residence in your home and play harmless tricks on you, so you shouldnt be too alarmed. Across French Louisiana, it is a very common legend, and most Louisiana natives are very familiar with at least the name, if nothing else. When they were choosing the new name, one of the trademarks filed for was the name the New Orleans Rougarou. Get monthly email updates and the chance to win a prize. Theres a lot of blue tarps still on roofs everywhere, says Foret. Have you been told a different story about the Rougarou? I believe that people are seeing these poor mangy bears instead of werewolves. So normally I dont believe it till I see it but in this case I saw it before I even heard about it and now I totally believe it. I had been riding my bike through the trails in the woods that were in the back of Laplace Park. The officer that submitted this report has over 40 years in military and law enforcement, a degree in Anthropology, and self educated in Darwinism, math and quantum physics. The Rougarou has a varied history, though all variations seem to trace it back to the French. We can only hope Ruston, LA never decides to build a Grunch Road. Mr. Nameless wasnt sure what he saw, but I was convinced. There also exist more supernatural explanations for the origins of the Rougarou. The man heard a noise behind him; he turned around and witnessed two large, red eyes staring back at him. If you'vegot a questionabout something Louisiana-centric, ask us. OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. The Audobon Zoo in New Orleans has an exhibit dedicated to the Rougarou, which includes a statue of the creature itself. Sometimes I mix all of these subjects together. It was a fall evening and this student was walking on a road in back of the property that borders cow pastures and piney woods. I was thinking the same. The dark figure crossed the road from the passenger side to the driver side, so it was traveling due south when it crossed the road. A recent novel called The Sentence by Louise Erdrich. Rougarou Fest/Facebook. The seminary student had the urge to run back to the monastery to tell someone but a thought emerged NO. The Rougarou, Beast of the Louisiana Bayou, Gets a Makeover One man hopes to turn the wolfish cryptid into a mascot for saving the state's imperiled wetlands. He might even be neighbors with the Honey Island Swamp Monster, which is also known as Louisianas bigfoot of the swamp.. Catholics are told it will hunt down and kill them if they don't obey Lent. That kind of transformation happens and I suspect that whats going on with this festival., But unlike sexy vampires or friendly alligators, Forets rougarou has been reimagined to champion a specific cause: protecting its habitat, which in turn will protect our own. Audobon's website also has Rougarou t-shirts for sale. The tales of the Rougarou have many variations, but it is mostly described as being a hulking beast, up to 10 feet tall, with the hair covered body of a human and the head of a wolf or in some cases a . Their friendly, but often sinister, nature makes these Cajun fairies some of the most dangerous Louisiana monsters. What is the Rougarou? Personally, Id never hear about something terrible and say, Yep, thats definitely the work of a werewolf. Some legends of the beast say it can only be killed by fire, others say it can be killed while its in its vulnerable human form. Talk of the monster, of course, is also a staple of some of the swamp tours operating in the area. The article does not specify if this happened in the same area that he and his friend found the large footprints. In others, they are demonic forces that play tricks and lead you to your demise in the swamps. I grew up that way and you would hear about strange things.. Just hope this Louisiana monster doesnt get hold of you. Ruston doesnt have a swamp, but if it did. 1990-1992 (early 90s) St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana. The French Catholics claimed that you would be turned into a loup-garou if you did not follow the rules of Lent for seven consecutive years. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival Just Might Be Louisianas Biggest And Baddest Foodie Event, The Historic Restaurant In Louisiana Where You Can Still Experience The Old American South, Treat Yourself To A Homemade Ice Cream Cone At The Sweetport In Louisiana, This Train Restaurant In Louisiana Is The Most Enchanting Place To Eat, 7 Folktales, Legends, and Superstitions Every Louisianian Has Heard At Least Once, The Sinister Story Behind This Popular Louisiana Swamp Will Give You Chills, The Story Behind This Legendary Swamp Monster In Louisiana Will Give You The Chills, 7 Creepy Louisiana Ghost Stories That Will Make You Sleep With The Lights On, Wanderluster/E+ Collection via Getty Images, Cavan Images/Cavan Collection via Getty Images, Troy Harrison/Moment Collection via Getty Images, 2ndLookGraphics/E+ Collection via Getty Images. The Caribbean island nation of Haiti, already steeped in the dark lore of zombies and voodoo magic, also has its own version of the infamous werewolf, which they call the je-rouges, or "red eyes." It is also referred to it as the French loup-garou and by the Creole word lougarou. Usually theyd find someone in the woods or someone in the village who was just acting strange.. I think its fascinating,'' said Brettel. I had relatives that lived in Covington," Brettel said. Not in the Pacific Northwest, but right there in Laplace! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); You have successfully subscribed to the PeachTown newsletter. The hybrid whimpering could still be heard, and was clear and near, but still no visible sign of what was producing these sounds. A story in The Nicholls Worth, a local college paper, titled "Rougarou Remains Strong Figure in Cajun Folklore," recounts a story from a woman about an experience in her youth. He told me it made no since for someone to be crossing the road at that point. In closing Ive always considered Yeti to be more of a possibility than a werewolf. The line on the trees in this picture taken Nov. 16, 2017, shows the swamp's typical high-water mark, which generally arrives in the spring. The Rougarou Supernatural Cameo Explained, Legend of the Rougarou: The Complete Loup-garou Guide. Wow, thank you for that insight! The officer reported that the creature crossed a 22 foot wide street in three strides. More than a millennium ago, vampires were demonic vectors of disease, possibly reflecting the very real threat of rabies. I was compelled to dig in further to see if I could find more sighting reports in the Southeast Louisiana area, if only to substantiate these other reports. The few folks that lay eyes on these creatures are simply catching an interloper just visiting. The Rougarou (Cedar Point) roller coaster is located at Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio. Theres a howl in the near distance. Here's what health officials, restaurants say. They are a defining characteristic of Louisiana culture and make the state a truly unique place to live. There was a problem saving your notification. Bog Monster of Louisiana T-Shirt (Impractical Jokers). What I saw scared the life out of me. The neighbor then said he saw an 8 foot tall creature standing on two legs. A woman named Barbara Mullins discovered a supposedly unidentifiable carcass on the side of the road in 1996. Its popularity has seen it placed on shirts, mugs, in Hollywood and even seen roller coasters named after it. The creature was black, hairy, and walking upright on two legs. Years later the seminary student was watching a television program about Bigfoot and they played audio of a suspected Sasquatch. Discover the secrets of Louisiana lifestyle and explore Ruston, home of the Peach Festival. It is known as the most haunted road in the entire state. A monster? 9 Scariest Louisiana Monsters from Folklore, Legendary Monsters of Louisiana: Rougarou, Legendary Monsters of Louisiana: Cauchemar, Best Resistance Bands for Home Workouts in 2021. A Police officer and his partner, responding to a neighborhood prowler call. In these times, many crimes were blamed on the beast, ranging from theft to kidnapping of children. When many of the French migrated to Canada and the southern United States, they took the legend of the loup-garou with them. Like other "monsters" Loch Ness, Bigfoot the Honey Island Swamp Monster has developed an enduring legend. The K-9 unit lost the scent once it ran into the marsh. Their property backs up to a vast cypress swamp. Back in the 16th century, theyd regularly blame various crimes on loup-garous. Past participants have described the festival as fun, and until COVID it had managed to attract a decent crowd each year. He and his partner were a part of a unit in Jefferson Parish that were first responders to criminal calls, making this a most credible report. When the child saw the dog transform into a man, he dashed home to tell his family. 2023 The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website. The rougarou, the Cajun cryptid said to haunt Louisiana's wetlands, is the mascot of a conservation effort for its traditional habitat. The Husband also described the creature as being dark in color and large. Full report can be found on http://www.gcbro.com/LAassumption03-12-2016.html. As outlandish as that sounds some of the very details in this essay support that. The best hidden gems and little known destinations - straight to your inbox. Variations also associate it with animals such as pigs, cows, and chickens, due to the fact that wolves are not often seen in the area. After the officers spoke to the complainant they decided to do a search of the perimeter. Nothing is going to hurt me. The student also stated that he did not want to alarm the creature by running off. Address: Rougarou Fest, 7910 W Park Ave, Houma, LA 70364, USA. For the original report of this sighting visit bfro.net Report #2764, Late October, near Sorrento, Louisiana a commuter was heading home. The story of the Rougarou (the Louisiana swamp monster) is not a new tale to anyone that lives or grew up in Louisiana. This is why I always read terms and conditions. A simple yet effective trick to protect oneself from the beast. This continued for 15 minutes until the sound started to travel away. Numerous ghost sightings have been reported over the years, making it one of the most haunted landmarks in the USA. Logic would dictate that any such creature living in southeast Louisiana would appear thinner in both frame and hair because of the climate and wet conditions. Discover Louisiana's legendary werewolf: the Rougarou. Curious Louisiana answers. "This thing had a flat back. 1989 St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana. "I think it's fascinating,'' said Brettel. Louisiana is a lovely place to visit. Also known as Cajun fairies, these creatures can be either good or bad depending on the circumstances.
Luna Mexican Kitchen Nutrition, Articles R