Is it presented as a good or bad thing? Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. What are the challenges that Odysseus had to face on his journey home? The shipwrecked Odysseus flatters Nausicaa in a bid to gain her assistance, even comparing her to the goddess Artemis. This shows Odysseus as a good leader because he tied his men down to the ship and left the island because he knew it was the best way to save them from the Lotus. There were other points where Odysseus showed his bravery, like when he travelled to the underworld, and many more. "Nohbdy, Nohbdy's tricked me, Nohbdy's ruined me" (Homer.9.317)! According to the article, The Nine Traits that Define Great Leadership, explain that an optimistic leader The very best leaders are a source of positive energy. Odysseus was quick on his toes, he said "'Cyclops, try some wine. However, Amphinomus decided to stay and eventually got killed by Telemachus, along with the other suitors. However, Odysseus told his men, Ill make the crossing in my own ship and find out what the mainland natives are-for they may be wild savages, and lawless. 14. Let us know your assignment type and we'll make sure to get you exactly the kind of answer you need. Odysseus is a Leader The story of The Odyssey with Odysseus being a great leader has been told for many years and will be told many years to come. 16 students ordered this very topic and got original papers. In other words the most ideal leaders are capable to accomplish the tasks they already have. Just do as I say. He has decreed that the exiled hero is to return home. Latest answer posted September 04, 2020 at 11:53:03 AM. In another instance, he ensures his crew's safety from the sirens who try to lure them away. Odysseus Page Number this Quote Three, four times blessed, my friends-in-arms who died on the plains of Troy those years ago, serving the sons of Atreus to the end. Odysseus declines the goddess offer to stay with her and be immortal. Odysseus was a weak leader and his lack of vision in not seeing the strength and possibilities in his men combined with his inability to effectively communicate to those around him ultimately led to his failure of not being able to safely deliver his men back to Ithaca. Lastly, Odysseus illustrates good leadership through his use of determination. For example, Odysseus wisely told the Cyclops his name was noman so that he could not properly call out for help once he was impaled. A professional writer will make a clear, mistake-free paper for you! Using a metaphor, Nestor compares the siege of Troy by the Greeks to a spider weaving a web. Students who find writing to be a difficult task. In closing, throughout the whole story, Odysseus progresses himself and designates many Greek, While Odysseus is a little arrogant, he can also be a great leader because he is able to trust his second in command, Eurylochus, and give him more power while he is away. This is despite her maids fleeing at the terrifying sight of him. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 338-345. Odysseus showed bad leadership when his curiosity resulted in some of his men dying. Odysseus . Much have I suffered, labored long and hard by now in the waves and wars. The three men were put under a spell where they forgot their way home, but Odysseus forcefully brought them back to the ship himself. reserved. Log in here. The Odyssey, Book 4, lines 280-281. A heavy sea covered him over, then and there unlucky Odysseus would have met his death against the will of Fate but the bright-eyed one inspired him yet again. Two character traits define Odysseus and shape his poor leadership style. Line 660). Get your custom essay from professional writers. the crew relies on their leader to make decisions for the well-being of the crew. Example 1 "I started shouting,calling the Cyclops, although around me my comrades cautioned me from every side,But my warrior spirit did not listen.." (Book 9. I wished to see the cave man, what he had to offer- no pretty sight, it turned out, for my friends (155-157). They must be superior in order to provide as a good figure for others to follow, learn from, and willingly respect. Would to god Id died there too and met my fate that day the Trojans, swarms of them, hurled at me with bronze spears, fighting over the corpse of proud Achilles! Odysseus is a Leader Odysseus knew about this and wanted to spare his life. Log in here. Even if Odysseus fought in the Trojan War, he is not a hero because he is self-centered and ignorant to other people's values and needs.There are multiple examples of Odysseus being self-centered, such as not taking people's advice. He sings the praises of the brave and cunning Odysseus, credited with the idea of using the horse to deceive the Trojans. Only Alcinous daughter held fast. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 479-482. Gilgamesh and Odysseus are motivated by attaining glory and honor. They use their power of trickery to trick and deceive humans, to fulfill their wishes. Add this to the total bring the trial on!". Odysseus dauntlessly went after his men and was determined to rescue them from her curse. Odysseus knew that he would encounter this monster because Circe warned him about her. However, in the Odyssey, Odysseus makes choices that both his crew and the reader find questionable. The Odyssey, Book 6, lines 148-158. He might be intelligent but really he tolerably manipulated his crew by saying things such as dont you want to go back to your home again?. The story of The Odyssey with Odysseus being a great leader has been told for many years and will be told many years to come. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. And out he stalked as a mountain lion exultant in his power strides through wind and rain and his eyes blaze and he charges sheep or oxen or chases wild deer but his hunger drives him on to go for flocks, even to raid the best-defended homestead. Why does a conflict take place between Agamemnon and Achilles in the Iliad? If I wait out a long tense night by the banks, I fear the sharp frost and the soaking dew together will do me in Im bone-weary, about to breathe my last, and a cold wind blows from a river on toward morning. A hero's funeral then, my glory spread by comrades - now what a wretched death I'm doomed to die! As a man will bury his glowing brand in black ashes, off on a lonely farmstead, no neighbors near, to keep a spark alive no need to kindle fire from somewhere else so great Odysseus buried himself in leaves and Athena showered sleep upon his eyes. Latest answer posted December 16, 2020 at 8:04:05 PM. The goddess and nymph Calypso keeps Odysseus as a sex slave on her island of Ogygia for seven years. Latest answer posted January 16, 2020 at 6:51:02 PM. This example has been uploaded by a student. 260). It was so huge that we could only compare it to the mast of a twenty-oared merchant vessel of large burden, and able to venture out into open sea. And now, withdrawing into the caverns deep recesses, long in each others arms they lost themselves in love. Beset by vengeful gods and facing many challenges, Odysseus has lost nearly everything, but his ultimate goal has remained unwavering. eNotes Editorial, 7 Oct. 2019, https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/what-quotes-show-how-odysseus-is-a-good-leader-1948083. After barely escaping, the Cyclops he placed a curse on Odysseus out of his fury. After defeating the Cyclops, Odysseus taunted him, which made him very angry. Tricking Polyphemus into drinking the wine, sharpening a huge tree trunk into a spear, and driving it into the eye of the cyclops shows not only slyness but strength and leadership. "Man of misery, whose land have I lit on now? Leaders come in all shapes and sizes, however, what gives someone the title of a good or bad is decided by the decisions they make and how those decisions affect others. This is an exception to the patriarchal world of the time, with the woman having the power and the man being her captive. "Noman is my name, and Noman they call me, and my father and my mother and all my fellows'. Their response is not what he expected: they cheer loudly and head back to their ships, eager to go home rather than finish fighting the war they came here to fight. 19 With our Essay Lab, you can create a customized outline within seconds to get started on your essay right away. When does Odysseus show bravery in The Odyssey? She is mortal after all and you, you never age or die Nevertheless I long I pine, all my days to travel home and see the dawn of my return. In The Odyssey, it is clear that Odysseus has earned the respect and status of a leader to Ithacas people. No finer, greater gift in the world than that when man and woman possess their home, two minds, two hearts that work as one. The trait of Odysseus being dishonest is a factor of why Odysseus is a bad leader. All rights In the Iliad, Odysseus appears as the man best suited to cope with crises in personal relations among the Greeks, and he plays a leading part in achieving the reconciliation between Agamemnon and Achilles. You seem no fool to me. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 167-172. Throughout the Odyssey, Odysseus a prominent Greek epic hero is on a quest . Scylla was a huge monster that had twelve large legs like tentacles and 6 heads with fangs. But he could not save them from disaster, hard as he strove the recklessness of their own ways destroyed them all, the blind fools, they devoured the cattle of the Sun and the Sungod blotted out the day of their return. In the beginning, he is courageous as he leads his people into the Trojan War. This foreshadows the exact same tactics being used by Odysseus, with Athenas help, to return unnoticed to Ithaca. She is the [], After the events of the Trojan War, Odysseus and his men headed back home to Ithaca. Another part of the adventure where this is portrayed is when Odysseus and his men are on Circes island. From beginning to end of the Odyssey, Odysseus repeatedly motivated his crew to not give up during their journey by announcing "My friends, I know how much/ you have endured. . It may be with us all our lives, or it may be many years or decades before we find it or it finds us. Odysseus is crying as he listens to the Phaiakian bard sing about the Trojan War, but he's not just letting a single tear fall: he's weeping like a widowed woman. The Iliad is not Odysseus's story; however, he is certainly an integral part of what happens in it. The lack of obedience and respect for Odysseus shows the lack of leadership role that he has between he and his followers. (Page 19, lines 337-340). The Odyssey [], The relationship between male and female is a key theme in the Odyssey and has been increasingly popular in recent scholarship. While not fully explored in [], We provide you with original essay samples, perfect formatting and styling. Straight forward they sprinted, lifted it and rammed it deep in his eye chater (Hom. Let's fix your grades together! He compliments her beauty and compares it in a metaphor to a blooming flower. Joywarm as the joy that children feel when they see their fathers life dawn again, one whos lain on a sickbed racked with torment, wasting away, slowly, under some angry powers onslaught then what joy when the gods deliver him from his pains! Was Odysseus the ideal leader or did he portray undesirable leadership tendencies? First, he discloses the disturbing information to his men, so they know as much as he does about the fate that awaits them on the sea. He also tries to bring home his comrades, but fails. Odysseus is still a hero because he is a leader. Secondly, Odysseus can be deceitful and not fully communicate the facts of each situation. Enjoy eNotes ad-free and cancel anytime. Latest answer posted October 02, 2020 at 3:09:58 PM. But listen to me now./ Tiresias and Circe both insisted/ we must avoid the island of the Sun, the joy of mortals. She says that he is being held captive on an island by the goddess Calypso, who is trying to wipe out all thoughts of his homeland. However, the Odyssey states, Driven by hunger, they ignore Odysseus warning not to fest on Helios cattle Zeus sends down a thunderbolt to sink Odysseus ship. Long-enduring great Odysseus, overjoyed at the sight, bedded down in the midst and heaped the leaves around him. Overall, Odysseus is a good leader because he is brave, thoughtful, and clever. He shall see his loved ones, reach his high-roofed house, his native land at last". Despair to their enemies, a joy to all their friends. Then, he was thoughtful in the sense of caring for his men and their wellbeing. With our Essay Lab, you can create a customized outline within seconds to get started on your essay right away. Accessed 5 Mar. Our professional writers can rewrite it and get you a unique paper. In the Iliad, whois responsible for the death of Achilles and who helps him? Homer explains how the, Odysseus is not a hero because he stabs Polyphemus in the eye and blinds him. The Odyssey, Book 6, lines 131-138. The Odyssey, Book 4, lines 272-277. He's on the final leg of his journey, and this grand tale has culminated in his finally coming near his goal. The more complicated a character is, the more he or she engages these major themes. The Odyssey, Book 4, lines 303-306. . The three traits that makes Odysseus a bad leader are being dishonest, prideful, and careless. If one of the gods who rule the skies up there, youre Artemis to the life, the daughter of mighty Zeus I see her now just look at your build, your bearing, your lithe flowing grace But if youre one of the mortals living here on earth, three times blest are your father, your queenly mother, three times over your brothers too. Students who find it difficult to write detailed essays. Even though Odysseus knew that the Cyclops could be very dangerous, he still went on to their island in order to explore. Related. He neglected to tell them anything, which resulted in 6 of his men being eaten. He is confident that he represents virtue even when a modern audience might not be so sure. The Odyssey, Book 1, lines 228-231. There is much foreshadowing in the passage. There is a strong theme of homecoming in The Odyssey, with Odysseus on a long, perious journey home after the end of the Trojan War. In an extended simile, Odysseus is compared to a powerful mountain lion driven by hunger to approach a homestead and attack its flocks of animals. As Odysseus claimed his name to be "Nohbdy . These are the opening words to Homers masterpiece, The Odyssey, one of the most important and enduring works of Western literature. In Homer's 'The Odyssey', the forces of fate, destiny, and justice factor into Odysseus' journey home. According to The Odyssey, it is shown that a hero has a quality of being a risk taker; a trait Odysseus demonstrates throughout his journey. Critical Essays Major Themes in. The lot fell upon the very four whom I should have chosen, and I myself made five. Analyzes how odysseus shows inadequate leadership qualities throughout the story. When Odysseus is away from Circes island, Odysseus has a change of heart and suddenly wants to go back to Circes island to retrieve his crew. 16. 16 students ordered this very topic and got original papers. The epic poem "The Odyssey" is written by Homer and takes place in ancient Greece 700 B.C. However, his curiosity got the better of his, which resulted in at least 6 of Odysseus best men dying. All rights reserved. In The Odyssey, Homer illustrates the journey home to Ithaca taken by Odysseus and his men. This shows the lack of obedience the men have and Odysseus lack of leadership. He prays that the gods will grant her hearts desires and an ideal marriage. This shows how Odysseus came up with a brilliant plan to hide in between the Cyclops rams and escape with the rams when the Cyclops let them out. When Odysseus stabbed the Cyclopes in the eye, it is considered a huge, bold risk "Straight forward they sprinted, lifting it, and rammed it deep in his crater eye" (book IX. ", She pitied Odysseus, tossed, tormented so she broke from the waves like a shearwater on the wing, lit on the wreck and asked him kindly, "Ah poor man, why is the god of earthquakes so dead set against you? "There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep." The Odyssey. How often their hearts must warm with joy to see you striding into the dances such a bloom of beauty. Heroes orders are followed and pursued, but Odysseus wasn't. Throughout the epic poem the main characters [], The Odyssey presents its readers with many moments of grief Penelope grieves over the possible loss of her husband, Telemachus is riddled with the grief the suitors give him by trying to take over his missing fathers estate. In order to serve as a good leader one must have certain qualities about their personality and abilities. Written in the late 8th or 9th century BC, The Odyssey remains one of the all-time greatest quest stories. True, but he is the one more blest than all other men alive, that man who sways you with gifts and leads you home, his bride! . The fate of Odysseus is being controlled by a vengeful Poseidon, angered at the blinding of his son, Zeus acknowledges. He was emotionally strong and made his crew strong. We use cookies to personalyze your web-site experience. Therefore I led them back to the ships weeping, and sore against their will, and dragged them beneath the benches, and bound them in the hollow barques. "What quotes show how Odysseus is a good leader?" on the headland, sitting, still, weeping, his eyes never dry, his sweet life flowing away with the tears he wept for his foiled journey home, since the nymph no longer pleased. In TheOdyssey, why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus that his name is Nobody. Then, he planned for his men to escape concealed by being bound under the bellies of sheep. All that you say is true, how well I know. They are killed by the god Helios for their reckless action in consuming his cattle. Odysseus sometimes lacks self-awareness when he would kill his men or people just because it was a faster way to reach his goal. What are the worthwhile causes for fighting a war? Also, Odysseus angered Poseidon by destroying Troy. Unfortunately, the inhabitants [], The Odyssey is a story about Odysseus return home, and the struggles he faces. He may of saved his men multiple times, but also got them killed them due to his neglect. this Quote Book 6 Quotes Having floated in heavy seas for two days and nights, battling Poseidons storms, Odysseus makes this plea for divine help. So I took counsel in my great heart, whether I should draw near, and pluck my sharp sword from my thigh, and stab him in the breast, where the midriff holds the liver, feeling for the place with my hand. He always looks out for his men and encourages them to keep moving forward when hope disappears. Odysseus is meeting with Tiresias (a blind prophet) to learn his future. Odysseus is the only person survive from his expedition why because he did not properly protect his shipmates.Let me read this quote "Driven by hunger they ignore Odysseus' warning and eat Helios' cattle". Odysseus led the squadron of soldiers in the trojan horse and is a hero of the Trojan War and the king of Ithaca. The most compelling evidence is. One of the reasons Odysseus is an unfit leader is because he puts himself above others. Atlas daughter it is who holds Odysseus captive, luckless man despite his tears, forever trying to spellbind his heart with suave, seductive words and wipe all thought of Ithaca from his mind. Here, however, he does not suffer the missteps he will in The Odyssey. "Wretched man what becomes of me now, at last? That is the gods' work, spinning threads of death through the lives of mortal men, and all to make a song for those to come." Alcinous, 8.647-651 Often mortals will turn to the gods to help them achieve justice, and fear of divine . We should care about this topic because it is pertinent in our world today. For instance, Odysseus speaks with Circ and discovers that their journey ahead will not be easy. Odysseus is visited by Athena and reminded of the losses the army has already suffered; leaving now would make those deaths a waste rather than a sacrifice. The other name of the suitors mentioned by Homer in this epic poem include: commons.wikimedia.org In the first place, Odysseus demonstrates his ability to be a good leader by being strong with everything he goes through during the epic. If I beg and pray you to set me free, then bind me more tightly still. Also, Odysseus is evidently clever when devising the escape plan from the Cyclops' cave. By god, I'd rather slave on earth for another man some dirt-poor tenant farmer who scrapes to keep alive "Men are so quick to blame the gods: they say that we devise their misery. In order to save his men, Odysseus, drove them, all three wailing, to the ships, tied them down under their rowing benches, and called the rest. How true to life, all too true . paper. Odysseus is an epic hero, he is a natural leader and at some points in the book smarter than everyone else. But fascinatingly Odysseus willingly beds Calypso one more time before he sails away on the raft she allowed him to build. By continuing, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. Generally I think Odysseus is a good leader because he saves his men more times than he lets them get killed, for example on the island with Polythemus. In suffering for that man; for me, in relentless, heartbreaking grief for him, lost and gone so long now dead or alive, who knows? Explain this statement by analyzing the relationship of Helen and Paris in the Iliad. A great leader views the world like he is looking through 3D glasses, always seeing the depth and vibrancy of the possibilities around him. What are they here violent, savage, lawless? From the conversation between Hector and Andromache inthe Iliad, choose details which show great love between the two. In this passage Athena, who has a special relationship with Odysseus, pleads with Zeus to allow the "cursed by fate" hero home. Traits of being a good leader are being determined, being intelligent, and using good judgement. DO USE INGENUITY WHEN FIGHTING YOUR ENEMIES: Odysseus showed good leadership when he saved the remaining men from his crew from the cyclops. Quotes Odysseus Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns. In this epic is four major examples that convey loyalty, which is shown by Penelope, Telemachus, the servants, and Odysseus. However, Oedipus slowly uncovers the truth, ultimately leading to his own banishment from his. In summary, a hero has to have an excellent leadership role. However, a heroes orders are followed without debating, but Odysseus orders were not obeyed. He has no way to voyage home to his own native land, no trim ships in reach, no crew to ply the oars and send him scudding over the seas broad back. Also, Odysseus is evidently clever when devising the escape plan from the Cyclops cave. After seven years trapped on Calypsos island as her sex-slave, the goddess-nymph and enchantress has agreed to free Odysseus. If Odysseus told them what they were going to encounter, then they couldve been more prepared to fight or avoid this monster. In this quote, we see that Odysseus is a cunning planner. We can write you a custom essay that will follow your exact instructions and meet the deadlines. Odysseus and his men will be left for dead. (Page 12), DONT GET COCKY WHEN YOU HAVE A VICTORY: Odysseus showed bad leadership when he started to mock the cyclops after they left his island. I fear the nymph foretold it all too well on the high seas, she said, before I can reach my native land Ill fill my cup of pain! What role does war play in the Iliad? The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 33-46. In The Odyssey, how does the character of Odysseus change from the beginning of his quest until the end? He thought of an elaborate, but organized way to blind Polyphemus after drugging him. "What are some good quotes about Odysseus being a hero who thinks things through in the Iliad by Homer?" While Odysseus longs to return to his wife Penelope in Ithaca, the bewitching goddess Calypso holds him back. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 236-246. Moreover, Odysseus proved himself a proper leader through being thoughtful. The reader learns about the characters through the themes. Penelope is the wife of Odysseus; she does not remarry while he is away. What makes a good leader? He is a man who inspires others to do the right thing by speaking well and wisely, even though he has not yet had his own experience with suffering or loss. This shows how powerful a woman Penelope is. It chronicles the long journey home of Odysseus, after his time spent fighting in the Trojan War. At Polyphemuss cave, Odysseus shows no fear confronting and speaking to the Cyclops in the beginning. He joins the chosen four in the expedition to the cyclops cave and takes the lead in ensuring that it will be a success by preparing the weapon accordingly. Odysseus believes that he is going to die at sea, thanks to the storm sent by Poseidon. They said dreadful danger/ lurks there for us. She helps him fight his way out of the breakers driving him towards the rocky coast. The first trait is that he is a very arrogant person and this often puts him and his men in danger. Up with you, see how the land lies, see for yourself now.". I can help you save hours on your homework. Click . Home Essay Samples Literature Odysseus Analysis Of Odysseus As A Good Leader. If Odysseus looted the city and left, then he could have stolen many things without losing any. ", "And now for his blinded son the earthquake god though he wont quite kill Odysseus drives him far off course from native land. After this victory, they decided to stay on the island a little bit longer to celebrate. And now, look, it all comes to pass. [], The Epic of Gilgamesh and The Odyssey both deals with characters that question their mortality due to death. In brief, Odysseus clearly is a good leader because he is courageous, pensive, and intelligent. Helen tells the story of how Odysseus cunningly disguised himself as a begger to slip into Troy unrecognized during the Trojan war. Already a member? "The Odyssey" is about a man named Odysseus and his ten-year journey to get home with his men after losing the Trojan war. Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. Odysseus and his crew robbed and killed them on their island. Here the narrator describes Odysseus typical day in captivity: weeping by day because he is prevented from returning home, and being an unwilling lover by night. Eumaeus and Philoetius, the servants, remained faithful servants to their master. But come, all of us here put heads together now, work out his journey home so Odysseus can return. Odysseus was waiting for the beastly one-eyed man ''beholden them for his help, or any gifts you give- as custom is to honor strangers." If you are such a student, you can use This shows how powerful a woman Penelope is. Give us your email address and well send this sample there. As Odysseus and his men prepare to face Kharybdis and Skylla, his men are nervous, so Odysseus reminds them "'Have we never been in danger before this? His Arrogance and his hubris After building a raft and setting sail from Calypsos island, Odysseus finally sees the land of Phaeacia. This experience should guide him to choose correctly when being put in a tight spot. Odysseus, in his apathy with regard to the crisis, did not want to have to manage his crew's fear. While Nausicaa stands her ground, her attendants run off down the beach in panic. Significant Myths and Structure of the Text. Odysseus' sharp wit distinguishes him from other heroes of his era, who only use strength to overpower their enemies. This is Odysseuss response to the situation.After Circe releases his men from the spell, Odysseus spends a year with her (pg 506). Copyright 2023 IPL.org All rights reserved. Odysseus is saying this to himself after being wakened up by a group of young Phaeacian girls playing ball.
Food Cravings After Covid Vaccine, Barber Motorsports Park Live Camera, Chicago Police Deputy Chiefs, How Do You Politely Ask Someone To Wait Email, Articles Q