Now therefore swear to me here by God that you will not de Genesis 21 Abimelech declared himself perfectly unacquainted with the wrong which had been done to Abraham, and immediately returned the well, which discovers how easily misunderstandings might be removed if, instead of harboring enmity, men would resort to friendly conference. A son was ABIMELECHS COVENANT WITH ABRAHAM. Weaned] in his second or third year, as is usual among Orientals. GODS ANCIENT PEOPLE reasons for holding that J is here made up of two main sources ABRAHAM AND ABIMELECH MAKE A COVENANT AT BEERSHEBA. Around the mouth of the well is a circular course of masonry, topped by a circular parapet of about a foot high; and at a distance of ten or twelve feet are stone troughs placed in a concentric circle with the well, the sides of which have deep indentions made by the wear of ropes on the upper edges The second well, about 200 yards farther south, is not more than five feet in diameter, but is formed of equally good masonry, and furnishes equally good water". Do you see what happened here? For these promises to be fulfilled, God had to provide Abraham with a son, which He did in an extraordinary way in the birth of Isaac. The Net Pastors Journal, Eng. 22 And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phicol the continued in the country of the Philistines for a considerable time; He spoke and the universe was created. So its a huge deal for someone to take over a well as Abimeleks servants did. (Kindle,hardcover, andpaperbacknow available on Amazon. The world is watching, and without a word of witness, they should be able to tell that we are Christians as they see our godly lives. Do we work hard or slack off? 6 Sarahs ioy. His circumcision (Genesis 22:4)_ Love Like Jesusexamines a variety of stories, examples, and research, including: With genuine unfiltered honesty,Love Like Jesus, shows you how to live a life according to Gods definition of success: A life of loving God well, and loving the people around you well too. Sometimes when you read the Bible, you get the feeling that God majors in the spectacular. Verse Genesis 21:22. surround, enclose, and _chum_ black. Abimelech, the king who had inadvertently taken Sarah into his harem because Abraham had lied about her being his sister, pays a visit to Abraham, acknowledges that God is with him, and proposes a peace pact. _The Covenant with Abimelech_ (Genesis 21:22-34) The question extends beyond how does God fit in with our ordinary schedules to, How does God fit in with ordinary people? After all, in the history of the church, not many of Gods people have been able to speak to packed stadiums around the world, like Billy Graham. CONCLUSION: Behind every promise of God is the purpose a Genesis 21:3. olam) as a name for the Lord, This is the word used on the covenant with Abraham (13:15; 17: 7, 8, 13, 19). Abimelech was impressed with Abraham's growing prosperity. CHRISTI GENESISNOTE ON GENESIS 21:22 GOD IS WITH YOU IN ALL THAT YOU DO. Genesis 20:2 Genesis 26:26 God. Are we honest, even in small matters? Wells of water are scarce and valuable in eastern countries. xx. Calling on Gods Name in whatever land you live, Despite the struggles in this new land, Abraham remembers his covenant with God (the God of Everlasting) and calls on His name. I like that, "as He had said, and as He had spoken." Beersheba. Even in this ordinary incident, Abraham acknowledged Gods faithful care for him. I wont ask you again!. _The birth of Isaac. I read about a successful man who was on a business trip. The trouble is, people can see that it isnt true. He normally didnt attend church, but he was troubled about some matters and went to church, hoping to find some relief. The passage is narrative. Of great importance for the scientific data that has been included in the author's exposition. In this section 21:25-26 Interrupting the covenant-making ceremony, Abraham airs a grievance that he has with Abimelech related to Abimelechs servants taking possession of a well that Abraham previously dug. As a planter of tamarisks, the patriarch has been styled the father of civilization; it is more important to remark that he never neglected to worship God himself and publish his salvation to others. 20 God was with the boy as he grew up. and married, but when Isaac was weaned and Ishmael was expelled: Peace commemorated. THE FOLLOWING COMMENTARY COVERS CHAPTER S 20 AND 21. A godly man is entitled to be careful of his property, to preserve it from damage, protect it from theft, and recover it when stolen or lost. So that place was called Beersheba,because the two men swore an oath there. and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken ( Genesis 21:1 ). (22) Abimelech and Phichol.Abimelech, that is Father-King, was the title not only of the king of Gerar, but of the kings of the Philistines generally (Genesis 26:1; 1Samuel 21:10, marg. All these things are true and wonderful. This is even more significant when you realize that Abraham wasnt doing anything spectacular. DISMISSAL OF HAGAR AND ISHMAEL. The mistaken charge. Abimelech was impressed with Abraham's growing prosperity. Isaac would later have to clear up some matters over several wells with Abimelech (chap. 17 The Angel comforteth her. Sarah's demand GENESIS 12:1 TO GENESIS 25:18. Here is old Abraham just planting a tree and living by his well. THAT ABIMELECH, AND PHICHOL, THE CHIEF CAPTAIN OF HIS HOST, SPAKE And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phichol the chief Abraham, thinking the herdsmen had acted on their master's orders, reproved Abimelech. The contemplated object. None ever waited in vain. Ver. And it came to pass at that time,possibly in immediate sequence to the incident of the preceding chapter, but, "according to the common law of Hebrew narrative, probably not long after the birth of Isaac." 1. Probably an official title. and poetical word. He added some more items, but to his consternation, still nothing happened. The story of how Billy Graham extended Christs extraordinary love and grace toward a man who misrepresented Jesus to millions. Genesis 21:22-34 New International Version The Treaty at Beersheba 22 At that time Abimelek and Phicol the commander of his forces said to Abraham, "God is with you in everything you do. Sarah, at the unlikely age of 90 years, gives birth to Isaac, Bondwoman and her son cast out. Wheres the justice? You might be thinking. Just because youve blown it with someone in the past doesnt mean that you cant be used later to influence that person toward God. So Abimelek took Sarah into his harem. Thus, Beersheba can mean, well of oath, or well of seven. So, outside of the name, Beersheba, the word shava occurs three times and the word sheva occurs three times in this passage. Hagar in distress. The tree sealed the site of the oath. II. In seeking to bring about both of these promises, Abraham resorted to human schemes to help God out: with the son, he went in to Hagar and produced Ishmael; with regard to the land, his fears of being wiped out by the inhabitants of the land prompted him to lie about Sarah being his sister, not his wife. you do. He graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary (Th.M., 1976 in Bible exposition) and Califo More. all-commanding. had promised to her. When the owner asked how much she could afford, she replied, My husband was killed in the war. _GOD IS WITH - The Birth of Isaac Since were not perfect, we do one of two wrong things. B.C. vs.22-34 The treaty between Abraham and Abimelech. Perhaps Abimelech had heard of how God had given Abraham and Sarah a son in their old age. He was Gods number one man on earth, but he wasnt holding miracle services. 33:18-19). and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken (Genesis 21:1). This is the first use of everlasting (Hb. A few years ago, a Christian worker was scheduled to fly from New York to Chicago for some meetings before returning home to Los Angeles. Which things are an allegory.- Galatians 4:22. So swear to me here before God that you won't deal falsely with me or my children or my descendants. He put a loaf of bread on the other side of the scale, and to his surprise, nothing happened. CHARACTERS: Sarah, Abraham, Isaac, Hagar, Ishmael, Abimelech. BIRTH OF ISAAC. Now if Abraham dug the well it was his. Hes lying! _mlel_ speak, an ancient and therefore solemn Read Genesis 21:22-34 Ripped Off Abimelek the king of Gerar and his top general Phicol approach Abraham and say to him, We recognize that God is with you in everything you do. mll "speak," an ancient and therefore solemn and poetical word. Another highlight of this passage is the explanation for the origin of the name Beersheba. GENESIS This passage chronicles a covenant between Abraham and Abimelech. We wont know Gods purpose until were in heaven. GENESIS 21:23. 34 Each of the following people made several hugesacrifices to achieve world change, and obey their conscience. ALL CHRISTIAN PROSPERITY IS CONSCIOUSLY IDENTIFIED WITH GOD. We could go on and on recounting the mighty deeds that God has done. But He doesnt just provide for our needs so that we can live comfy lives for our own happiness. Worldly policy may have urged Abimelech to cement a league with the powerful chieftain in his neighborhood, but religions affinity would also seem to have exercised an influence in drawing him to seek the friendship of one who appeared to enjoy celestial protection. a. A believer is invincible until it is his time to go. The impelling motives. So the treaty is solidified. *** Abimelech reenters the picture with his enforcer, Phicol. He sarcastically said, Write your prayer on a piece of paper and you can have its weight in groceries. To his surprise, she pulled a folded note out of her pocket and handed it to him. Gunkel has given strong The covenanting parties. 3. 21:22-34 Abimelech felt sure that the promises of God would be fulfilled to Abraham. If youre a Christian, and youre not a cop, then its not your job to come down on people. In that case Abraham went down to Egypt, whereas Isaac went only as far as Gerar, in the land of the Philistines, but the same place where we read of Abraham denying his relationship with Sarah. Wells of water are scarce and valuable in eastern countries. In this narrative, Abraham appears as a chieftain powerful enough for a king to wish to make an alliance with him; and thus his abandonment of Sarah, and his receiving of presents in compensation for the wrong done her, seems the more unworthy of him. How Jesus guarded his heart by taking care of himselfhe even nappedand why you should do the same. Separate from the sheep and oxen he gave to Abimelech, and from those that were used in making the covenant. I. Commentary: Patriarchs and Prophets (or Beginning of the End), chapter 13. The man whos been thoroughly analyzing these files for the last 44 years is Dr. George Valliant. Abimeleks servants save face. xx. Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there he called upon the name of the LORD, the Eternal God. _mlel_ speak, an ancient and therefore solemn CAME TO PASS AT THAT TIME, &C. Hence it is plain that Abraham had Abraham called on the name of the Lord. Genesis 20:17 Genesis 26:28 Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible, College Press Bible Study Textbook Series, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, G. Campbell Morgan's Exposition on the Whole Bible, George Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary, Introductory Lectures - Commentary by William Kelly, John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible, Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures, Leslie M. Grant's Commentary on the Bible, Matthew Poole's Concise Commentary On The Bible, Notes on the Pentateuch by Charles Henry Mackintosh, Sutcliffe's Commentary on the Old and New Testaments, The Preacher's Complete Homiletical Commentary, Through The Bible C2000 Serie by Chuck Smith. I like this. Arise We have had hitherto God's account of that which He had made; then the It shows how God faithfully provided all that Abraham needed apart from Abrahams schemes. The satisfactory explanation. _AT THAT TIME_] This may either refer to the 27:7). CHAPTER 21 ISAAC AND ISHMAEL AND THE COVENANT WITH ABIMELECH )was probably the Tamarix Africanae (Gesenius, Furst, Delitzsch, Rosenmller, Kalisch), which, besides being common in Egypt and Petraea, is mid to have been found growing near the ancient Beershebain Beersheba, and called there (not beneath the tree or in the grove, but in the place) on the name of the Lord,Jehovah (vide Genesis 12:8; Genesis 13:4)the everlasting Godliterally, the God of eternity (LXX; Vulgate, Onkelos); not in contrast to heathen deities, who are born and die (Clericus), but "as the everlasting Vindicator of the faith of treaties, and as the infallible Source of the believer's rest and peace" (Murphy). Finally he blurted out, Well, thats all it will hold anyway. Treaty with Abimelech (21:22-34) Abraham had settled in the south of Canaan in Abimelech's territory and at Abimelech's invitation (see 20:15). Ishmael's marriage, but most probably to the former. AndIf anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. (Matthew 5:39-41). with his wi AND IT CAME TO PASS AT THAT TIME,. Not when Ishmael was grown up Abimelech attributes Abrahams success to God. captain of his host spake unto Abraham, saying, God [is] with thee in ISAAC IN GERAR A famine occurs in the land, just as it had in the days of Abraham (ch.12:10). ALL CHRISTIAN PROSPERITY IS ALSO CONSCIOUSLY IDENTIFIED WITH I already did that during the night while I was watching over my sick child, she replied. Probably an official title. He wasnt traveling all over the globe. Sarah who at an earlier point had So Abraham, to demonstrate his commitment to the treaty and to demonstrate his good will toward Abimelek, brings to Abimelek sheep and cattle. The trouble with this approach, of course, is that we never get to that place. the title not only of the king of Gerar, but of the kings of the And alls well. As David wrote, all our days were written in Gods book before we even were born (Ps. Hagar and Ishmael sent away. Now the grace of God bears its most important fruit in the history of Verses 1-34. 3 Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore him, Isaac. Abraham called on the name of the everlasting God. NOR WITH MY SON, NOR WITH MY SONS SON.] Sarah Abimelech and Phichol. read more, John Gills Exposition of the Bible Commentary. The angel relieves and comforts her. Another step in Abrahams walk with God is seen in verse 33, where he plants a tree and calls on the name of the Lord, the Everlasting God. Planting the tree was an act to remind Abraham of Gods faithfulness, especially in the everyday matter of providing the well which supplied the water for this tree to grow. Observing what he had done, and not knowing the design of it: what mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves ? Isaac is weaned. Each time, the young man, who was retarded and knew only this one verse, responded simply by quoting John 3:16. If you know the Savior, as you walk with Him and enjoy His faithful provision, God wants to use the ordinary events in your life to fulfill His purpose of blessing all the nations through the Seed of Abraham, the Lord Jesus Christ. When Abraham and Abimelech previously met, on the occasion when Abraham lied about his wife, Abimelech endorsed Abraham living where it pleases you (20:15). How to respond to critics the way Jesus did. Youve never said anything to me about this before and I dont know who might have done it. However, see 26:17-33, where Isaac also has a dispute with Abimelech (likely not the same person) over wells and makes a treaty with him. mercy in Christ the Lord. Only before concluding the agreement there was a matter of a more personal character that required settlement. This event is not recorded in Scripture. with his wi AND IT CAME TO PASS AT THAT TIME,. Not when Ishmael was grown up laughed with the laughter of incredulity, now laughed with the _Abimelech, king of Gerara, who knew that Abraham was a prophet, and a Newly released book by Kurt Bennett, now available onAmazon! It is a beautiful illustration of how God faithfully provides everything we need for life and godliness so that we can fulfill His purpose. Another highlight of this passage is the explanation for the origin of the name Beersheba. that it could not be explained on merely natural grounds. undertakings. And Abraham reproved (literally, reasoned with, and proved to the satisfaction of) Abimelech (who was, until informed, entirely unacquainted with the action of his servants) because of a well of water, which Abimelech's servants had violently taken away. Abimelech, that is _Father-King,_ was But we also need to see that His ordinary provision of our daily food is an example of His faithfulness. Every wise person I know, finds some means of providing a graceful way out for those with whom they have an issue. 23 Now therefore swear to me here by God that you will not deal falsely with me or with my descendants or with my posterity, but as I have dealt kindly with you, so you will deal with me and with the . Genesis 21:22-34 In-Context 20 God was with the lad, and he grew; and he lived in the wilderness and became an archer . He wasnt a TV evangelist. Its not our job to meet out justice anyway. I. Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture Quotations are from the New American Standard Bible, The Lockman Foundation, Related Topics: Character of God, Discipleship, Ecclesiology (The Church), Empower, Spiritual Life, Steve served as the pastor of Flagstaff Christian Fellowship from May, 1992 through his retirement in December, 2018. The prince rather complains that Abraham had done him an injustice. Philistines generally (Genesis 2 ISHMAEL AND ISAAC Thus, while the Lord gave Abraham authority to dwell in this land, his presence was recognized by the king of Gerar. In Genesis 21:22-34, we see Abraham in a scene from his ordinary life. Abraham instituted two memorials of the important transactions, naming the well Beersheba, and planting a tamarisk beside his tent. GENESIS Q. They watch our attitudes, our words, and our actions. It is as much the duty of him who has a grievance to reveal it, as it is the duty of him who has caused the grievance to remove it. The new name of God bore witness to Gods unchanging faithfulness and to the fact that Abrahams faith was not in Abimelech nor in the treaty between them, but in the eternal God who was his dwelling place. In the story of Hagar and Ishmael, we notice: The league is proposed by Abimelech, and Phichol his prime-minister of state and general of his army. fruit of patient waiting upon God. And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves? Abraham took care to have his title to the well allowed, to prevent disputes in future. Even as Gods kindness draws us to him, our kindness with others should point them to Him. Sarah who at an earlier point had Ishmael's marriage, but most probably to the former. CHIEF CAPTAIN OF HIS HOST SPAKE UNTO ABRAHAM, SAYING, GOD IS WITH THEE Some try to convey that they are perfect. So we never bear witness for Jesus Christ, which is precisely what Satan wants. B.C. The deal is sealed. that it could not be explained on merely natural grounds. captain of his host spake unto Abraham, saying, God [is] with thee in 21:33 Abraham called on the name of the Lord, 21:34 Living in the land of the Philistines. Th Genesis 21:22 time H6256 Abimelech H40 Phichol H6369 commander H8269 Matthew Henry's Commentary on Genesis 21:22-34 Commentary on Genesis 21:22-34 (Read Genesis 21:22-34) Abimelech felt sure that the promises of God would be fulfilled to Abraham. 2. 1. The significance of this passage is Abraham finding a place in the land promised to him in safety. In the immediately preceding verses, God has provided Isaac and dismissed Ishmael, so that Abraham would learn that Gods promises do not depend on human schemes and effort for their fulfillment. In the Grant Study, 268 Harvard graduates (including John F. Kennedy by the way. _Isaac;_ that is, laughter or holy joy. at the time God Himself had We plainly see that God blesseth and prospereth thee in all thy This second conflict with Abimelech creates a bracket around the Isaac birth narrative. 1886. You many Read Genesis 21:22-34 here: Bible Gateway. Luke 6:21. He complains to Abimelek about a well of water that Abimeleks servants had seized. Abraham. His flight from New York was first delayed and then cancelled, so that he would have missed his meetings. I. 7. 3. Genesis 21:22-34 In-Context. The greatest possible injury of a material kind that could be done to a nomads chief was the all faction of his water supplies. But the problem is, most of us dont live in the realm of the spectacular. How to survive a life of loving like Jesus (or how not to become a Christian doormat). of his host, spoke to Abraham saying, God is with you in all that Neither didst thou toll me, neither yet heard I of it, but today. In gratitude for former favours he had received from him, in token of the friendship that subsisted between them, and for the confirmation of it; and to show that he was fully satisfied with Abimelech's answer to his complaint, as well as willing to enter into covenant by sacrifice, when such creatures were divided, and the covenanters passed between the pieces, for so it follows: and both of them made a covenant ; or, read more, And Abraham set seven ewe lambs of the flock by themselves. Abraham, being now in a good neighbourhood, stayed a great while there. (22) ABIMELECH AND PHICHOL. Genesis 21:22-34 . In Chapter s 20, 21 we have the question of the heir and of the path Abimeleks servants seized the well so Abraham mustered his servants and seized it right back, correct? Note the significance of the word oath (Hb. Yesterday (at the time of this writing) I participated in a class that teaches you how to communicate with people on the street in a way that encourages cooperation and avoids the need for physical force. Abimelechs proposal includes his offspring, but does not specifically include any offspring of Abraham. He was simply living his daily life as the friend of God before the watching world. Ishmaels expulsion. The birth of Isaac. 4 He is circumcised. 3. _AT THAT TIME_] This may either refer to the transactions recorded in the preceding chapter, or to the time of Ishmael's marriage, but most probably to the former. I like this. _AT THAT TIME_] This may either refer to the transactions recorded in the preceding chapter, or to the time of Genesis 21 Commentary Birth of Isaac (21:1-21) When Isaac was born, Abraham circumcised him as commanded. Abraham a sojourner in that land, afterwards the troubler of Israel; for his sake as discipline, for their sakes as opportunity. This is also remarkable in light of Abrahams past dealings with Abimelech. He did what he If he would walk with God, so that it was evident to others, Abraham had nothing to fear. (1) that as the land of the Philistines had no fixed boundary toward the desert, Beersheba may at this time have been claimed for the kingdom of Gerar (Keil); or. He gives Abimelek seven lambs so Abimelek can tell his servants that the well has been purchased.
Algorand Testnet Faucet, Santa Barbara County Death Notices, Articles G