I tow a lot on the highway. Think this is an AE86? And you'd want to have a more accurate measurement of your intake manifold pressure than I'm assuming here (25%) but my assumption is generally close. with a 45 minute drive each way. ofone mile per minute is equal to 60 miles per hour. "The Lemon". Looks like a old oilfield pickup take 1 hour to drive to location then leave the pickup idling for the next ten. Shut it down. 6-11 Months A forum community dedicated to Dodge Cummins Diesel truck owners and enthusiasts. 231,090 miles and 7,263 hours for mine (32 MPH average). These types of work trucks will usually register low mileage but will endure significantly higher strain on its engine than is reported. I bought the cord and plug in when it gets cold steady. Just curious-we purchased the vechicle in Feb. with 95k, but I did not think to check the hours. The engine meter gets turned on once the engine of the car is on. Returning to that 2013 Ford Taurus Interceptor, on top of the 93,197 driven miles, the idle hours adds an additional 236,907 additional miles. I ran across a few post when I was looking at a used truck that stated to not really worry about the mileage but check the hours instead. The main reason this causes the damage it does is that diesels need to operate at higher temperatures. Mine idle time is 10% of run time -- I can't see this being feasible unless it counts idle minutes at stoplights (and I'm not a city driver). No idea how it should be figured: 13,266 miles / 511 hours (100 idle + 411 normal) = average of 26mph. Machine Vision and Artificial Intelligence, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, Measuring Engine Miles to Hours to Improve Fleet Management, Pull the data from the engine meter to determine how many hours the engine has run, Calculate the hours by a factor of 60 to approximate the miles accumulated on the engine, Formula: Engine hours x 60 = Approximate mileage. Operating a diesel engine at a low speed will cause two times thewear on the internal components compared to operating at a normal load. The liner or block will need to be replaced. JavaScript is disabled. There are cars in the market that are released with a digital speedometer that shows the number of miles which is covered by the car, but cars are existing in the market which still use the engine's hours to miles calculation. I'm rural with zero stops lights. Probably end up selling for around 35-40k. Regardless, idling for a long period of time adds stress to the valvetrain, intake manifold, exhaust, injector tips and plugs. Since the computer keeps track of the hours why not display it. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -, By logging into your account, you agree to our. Remember, though, the diesel was meant for a load. Modern diesel engines do not require the amount of time to warm up as in years past. EVERY diesel produced in the last ____ years has the same emissions systems. I Need CDL Training I asked since they told me to breakin the motor for 10 to 15 hours running at various RPMs. Learn how we combine innovation with experience to stand out from the crowd. So if you want to know the number of miles the car This will cause more oil to pass by the piston rings and create a large amount of blow-by. Who cares!!! To understand the hours to miles calculation, one needs to take the standard equation This is going to save several components premature ware and you the headache of replacing them. Genuinely curious. Complete Guide to Intermodal Transportation. Whenever they change it, they write 5,000 miles on the sticker. Its almost 5 years old. For national companies, fleets might experience significantly divergent results when comparing different regions. The Lytx reusable component library is a collection of UI elements combined with step-by-step guides, enabling partners to quickly offer our technology to their customers. By incorporating an hours to miles conversion, your fleet is better equipped to account for standard wear-and-tear on its engines. With an APU, you can avoid all that engine killing idle time. certain methods used to calculate the miles traveled by car. Ask Ford Super Duty owners and, on top of the shift lever being in Park or Neutral, some will theorize that idle hours also include speeds under 25 MPH and RPMs less than 1,500 rpm. One hour of idle time consumes around one gallon of diesel fuel. Is that possible? Learn about modern fleet management and get tips and tricks for transforming your fleet. 13,266 miles / 411 hours (411 normal only, figuring idle is a part of it) = average of 32.3mph. 417160 miles multiplied by 10955 is 38 miles per hour. My stats, 34 hours idling, 1042 hours driving, 1078 total hours, 3.15% of total time is idling. By knowing a vehicle's engine hours, youll have a better grasp over its actual condition. So it traveled at an average speed of 39.17 MPH, and it runs pretty well for having 274k on it because of that. (3000 miles). My idle hours always seem high to me, so do my engine hours. Seems like that should be in the 6.0L PCM software and the dealer should be able to read it or am I missing something. 4.6:1. Learn more about how accelerometers work in this article. Do diesel engines need to warm up? Usually, but not always plugged in when below minus 10 F. With the used car market in influx to say the least, a lot of used car shoppers, like myself, are looking for cars in unconventional places, and that means used car auctions open to the public. This is determined by mileage, fuel used, speed, temperatures and hours. How long should I let my diesel cool down? When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. As per Ford's guideline, multiply your engine hour count by 40 to obtain how much actual wear and tear there is on your engine (in kilometers, or multiply by 25 to obtain the figure in miles). Over the course of a year, a long-haul truck could idle for about 1,800 hours, using nearly 1,500 gallons of diesel, which is $5.82 per gallon in the US as of June 2022. Going by the formulae speed is Still, its becoming more evident that this may not be the best method. Makes that low winning bid more in perspective, right? 04-07-2021 It is best to avoid idling when possible but we know its not always possible and at that point, we have to keep up with the idle time. The motor builder told me that they use 1 hour of run time equals 60 miles. 03 F-250 207000 miles, Mad Turbo Werks Stage 1 Turbo, RCD155 injectors 100% Nozzles, 150/180 FASS, FCDP EGR delete, ARP Headstuds, OEM head gaskets, Diesel Site coolant filter kit, SCT Tunes, Hellmans Sump, 4inch Magnaflow Exhaust, 6.4 banjo bolts, AR-9100 Oil Treatment, 58v FICM 20k miles and I'm at 470 engine hours w/ 52 idle hours. I strive to make 400 hours=20,000 miles. Thus, your engine theoretically has 120,000-140,000 miles on it. after converting the hours to miles. So, you can see that engine hours can be the same for various mileages. But it is Idling can also cause greater engine wear-and-tear over time, resulting in higher maintenance costs. Modern fuels have solved most of the problems of gelling and water mixture for North Americans unless in extreme temperaturesif(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'learndiesels_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_6',148,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-learndiesels_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0'); There is really no need to crank trucks in the winter if you have done the right things beforehand. I just imagine that DPF getting all plugged up, Isnt that what high idle is for? Idling actually causes the buildup of carbon in the engine. Advertising - The accelerator pedal position, referred to as APPS, is responsible for telling the ECM how depressed the pedal is. Just let it idle down for a few minutes after you get back or when youre done with the equipment for the day. Understand how telematics technology works to help fleets improve their operations, safety, and compliance. Come join the discussion about performance, bulletproofing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Is 7,000+ hours of idle time too much? Just get an oil analysis done. Get help with your Lytx solutions through our customer support center. To learn more, please visit our website. Tire Meets Road is a car blog focusing on car news and useful information you won't find anywhere else. I NEVER turned off my old F550 when i was doing field mechanic work on construction equipment, never know if the starter would give out in the middle of nowhere about an hour and a half from any civilization, None of the guys Ive met turn theyre trucks off summer or winter, I woke in Canada as a fitter dont run my own truck yet but the guys who do make enough or get theyre cost covered and its so nice to hop into a cold truck on a hot summer day and a hot tru k on a cool winter day, almost nothig feels nicer then that in the winter then gas treatment but I mean thats a little too hot . Manage Preferences - This ultimately depends on what a fleet uses its trucks to accomplish. Terms of Service - Even when the vehicle is not moving and the engine is in on condition for too many hours, then one cannot differentiate between the hours the vehicle has moved and the time is converted to miles. I'm rural with zero stops lights. Example: (30/60 = 0.5) 30 minutes = 0.5 miles; (15/60 = 0.25) 15 minutes = 0.25 miles; etc. At what ratio do you start to worry that the used truck you bought really has more miles, based on the hours meter, than the odometer says? Our team is at your service to share custom demos, guide you to the best solutions, or provide support. OTOH, in a car, it's difficult to gauge hours vs miles, unless you just drive nearly a fixed amount of time each day. yes it has a diesel ! I change my oil every 5000 kms. It will hit 10,000 hours about a week before it rolls 500,000. Even the older models will have RPMs ranging from 40,000 to 60,000. Job Listing Rules. Request a custom demo to see our solutions in action. . Last I remember mine is around 4500 hours and 176k for miles. For example: if the apparatus as a 100 miles on it should the hour meter equal 1 hour or a 100 hours. Sounds like something is way off. The cross-hatching allows the rings the seal against the walls of the cylinder or liner. Step 2 Multiply the amount of hours on your engine by 60. So eventhough used engines have < 30K miles on them, the engine hours might be equivalent to that of a car in the US w/ 60K miles on it. I hardly ever idle (car in park engine running). Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) Failure - Cummins 5.9L. Click the photo to find out the truth! We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. To get a complete burn of the fuel, a diesel needs a very high combustion chamber temperature. #Care, 18-06-2021 Vehicles get ZERO miles-per-gallon while idling. Does a diesel need to be started and run on cold mornings? Based upon the mileage and engine hours, I'm at 40 miles per hour. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. Mileage is still one of the most common indicators of a vehicles condition and performance. What is a good mileage to engine hours ratio? The number of hours that a marine engine runs is very dependent on the amount and quality of maintenance over the years. * Total number of hours from lines 6 and 8 should equal the number of hours in line 1. ECM data provides highly specific information such as engine hours and true idle vs. driving, while GPS provides high-level information, such as miles driven and daily route time. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. As there are 60 Minutes in one Returning to that 2013 Ford Taurus Interceptor, on top of the 93,197 driven miles, the idle hours adds an additional 236,907 additional miles. Locate your assets and maintain a healthy fleet for increased productivity and efficiency. Answer (1 of 15): I'm going to elaborate on the calculations. I think the ones of this used truck I bought are out of whack. Tips Calculating engine hours to miles and vice versa can help you develop a comprehensive program for vehicle replacement, optimize maintenance schedules, breakdown vehicle usage, and manage the fleets total expenditures. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Are engine hours to miles the best metrics to oversee a fleet? Eh Its a work truck. Step 1 Determine how many hours have accumulated on your engine. Is it really worth it? If it comes back good and the truck isnt making excessive blow by there isnt much to worry about. Been there, i NEVER turned off my f550 service truck. Press J to jump to the feed. More idle time like in city driving =less mph. Software. Watch our videos to see the latest in driver safety, coaching best practices, risk management, and more. How are engine idle hours calculated? Trial services are provided at no cost for up to 1 month. Meet our clients and learn about the industries we serve. Engine Hours are the total amount of time the engine is on, driving in motion and idling. Is Rebuilding a Diesel Engine Worth It? Trying to buy a boat with 200hrs on it. and our I wonder if it counts any time the engine is running and the truck is stationary as idling. If youre buying an actual pursuit rated used car, manufacturers have beefed up all the appropriate engine ancillaries, like equipping them heavy-duty alternators, heavy-duty starters, and larger batteries to handle the rigors of long idling, on top of hard driving. I recently purchased a CNC Motorsports 540 BBC marine short block for my go fast boat. We are planning to plow with it this winter, so I hope it holds up well. Why? In this case every time you stopped for traffic lights, stop signs, traffic jams etc. Your safety is more important and diesels don't always like the cold. J justinp95 Registered Joined Nov 15, 2007 749 Posts Idling wastes fuel - and money. Most companies and government agencies are now on a big kick to end their vehicles and equipment idle time. I got a deal from my dealer for 4 oil changes for about $150. The cost of poor fuel efficiency for a large fleet of vehicles is high. About Us - With that, carbon buildup comes all of the other problems. When a diesel engine idles it does more damage to the engine than normal operation. I know there is a formula for converting the hours to miles but I can''t remember if it is 50 miles per hour or something else. In other words, for vehicles with excessive engine idle time, such as a police or border-patrol unit, premature engine damage can occur without having driven many miles at all.. A forum community dedicated to Chevrolet and GMC diesel truck owners and enthusiasts. If you do the math on it the GMC has averaged 33Km/hour (20MPH). Built 700R4 automatic, 4.11 gears. Join a collaborative team dedicated to building technology that helps save lives. #Guides, 18-06-2021 The 4 oil changes are only good to be used in 2 years, and the last oil change I had less than 2,000 miles on it. You're worth more than your trucks engine, If that amount of hours scares you you should look at some police cruisers haha. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not - I doubt it is. For reference I bought mine with 950 hours and 51,000 km. Close but, certainly there has to be a more accurate . hours to miles. Please register or login to enable Dark Mode. The back fuel tank would not empty-it has not been working for years obviously, so we had to have it cleaned out and a new sender put in, etc. But on the highway, given there is little to no traffic, you can easily go 600 miles in 6 hours. Is that a lot of hours for a typical diesel dump truck, or typical. The engine converts that energy into the power needed to overcome resistance and move the boat through the water. This averages out to about 20 mph. "Depending on the application of the vehicles, maintenance intervals may vary," states Ford Power Stroke Diesel. Any Cummins reps on here that could chime in?? By pulling the data from the engine meter, an engine hours to miles formula can determine an approximation of the miles traversed since the meter was last zeroed. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'tiremeetsroad_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_5',107,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiremeetsroad_com-medrectangle-4-0'); Take for example this 2013 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor I found browsing around for used cars. Over the course of a year, a long-haul truck will idle about 1,800 hours, using nearly 1,500 gallons of diesel. That being the case I can believe 15 miles and even 20 miles per 1 hour of idle time. They call thisseatingthe rings. (121896 miles) and 3679.4 hours on my truck. The turbo must be allowed to spin down before the oil vacates. I only idle in the coldest of winter nights maybe 10 a year. Do you think your diesel is wearing out? Mix of city and highway driving like 40/60. For example, for a medium-duty trucks engine, one gallon of fuel processed through idling is equivalent to traveling 30 miles. The average speed, however, is something we can tell you. For instance, if the car has run about 4000 hours, then you need to multiply 4000 by 60 miles per hour which in turn 240000 miles. I'm a little behind on miles (about 1,500). This graph illustrates the importance of tracking both mileage and idle-time. miles per hour which in turn 240000 miles. "Both engine hours and miles are important criteria when determining service timing for a fleet," said Tabel of ICTA. Better to leave it running so you don't get hypothermia or get left stranded with a nostart in freezing temps. 68RFE. Since 2017. Changing it at those intervals, I've averaged about 120 engine hours between oil changes. It shows the hours of engine operation, or idle-time, versus the miles driven during a drain interval. 115k miles. Hardware. Garmin uses 70 mph for it's calculations, unless you have been moving. That is really crazy when you think about the amount of idling that goes on in diesel applications. It only idles alot on real cold days though which have been few and far between this year, Does ford consider anything under 25mph idling? That means you are averaging 60mph for every hour the truck is running. Nationally, trucks burn four billion gallons of fuel each year from idling. Neutral or Park will engage idle timer, any gear will engage running timer. This can be useful and should be implemented. Yes, the owner's manual, something very few people actually ever read. Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7), 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD LB7 Duramax 4WD Crew Cab SB, 2003 Chevy Suburban 2500 LB7 Duramax AWD Quadrasteer. My 6.4 on the other hand, has 103,237 miles and 5,604 hours. The instrument cluster has already been replaced once so I called the dealership because it is starting to take a few minutes to come on again anyways, so they are replacing it again Friday.oh well atleast their workin with me. I'm trying to figure out how many miles that would be on the engine or if newer engines aren't affected as much by idling. Yours is over 50%. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. My idle is 20% idle time, but I don't idle 12 minutes for every hour driven. Understanding both metrics and how a fleet utilizes its trucks will give you the best method that should be incorporated into future projections. Are you considering rebuilding your diesel engine? 418 hrs/ 85 idle on mine. I love the tow haul mode with the allison-great with loads! Although using miles may be appropriate for long-haul trucks with little stop-and-go, for those that have significant daily amounts of idle time, hours offers a much more accurate picture of what's happening with an engine. Learn me something today. 30 miles per hour. I bought my truck brand new in 2013 (December). Idling a heavy-duty truck consumes about 0.8 gallon of fuel per hour.3 Semi-trucks and heavy-duty trucks . Hours to miles calculator is based on the number of hours the engine was in on When a vehicle idles for hours each day using a PTO, mileage isn't being recorded by the odometer, but one hour of idling is equal to 25 to 30 miles of driving. A vehicle that spends most of its operating time idle needs to determine its hours to miles ratio to maintain a proper preventive maintenance schedule. So idling can literally ruin your engine. Two examples: Installed a hour meter in the Ford Ranger back in '94. has covered then you need to multiply the time by 33 which in turn gives you the This will raise maintenance costs and shorten engine life. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I guess the only way to get a real good SWAG is to install an engine hour meter when purchaseing a new vehicle. That 3 hours of idle time doesn't compute for me. Mine has around 30,000 hours and 600,000 hours for the tracking engine, as well as miles for everything else. 5+ Years, Please select ALL of your current, valid drivers licenses. Using an hours to miles calculator is quickly being adopted by fleet managers. Published 05-02-2021 If you multiply the amount of hours on your engine x's 60, it's equivalent to approximately 1,800 miles. I work as a govt fleet mechanic and we use the 35 mph standard as we have a ton of cop cars that sit idling at intersections 24 hours a day thus, the mileage is useless to us when determining when a vehicle needs maintenance. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2-2016-dodge-ram-3500-idle-2.html#post25147425, https://www.dodge.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C7WRNEL0NG176276. We have a 2002 Chevy 3500 Dump Duramax/Allison with 100,000 miles and 5023 hours. Hi y'all. Today, diesel fuel hovers around $2.65 a gallon; over the last five years, the average cost has been $3.09 per gallon. ! Combine Lytx with best-in-class fleet technology for a powerful fleet management solution. Last edited by Orangetxguy; 03-31-2011 at 03:26 AM. Also, you can replace mile-sensitive parts in the engine. Cookie Policy - If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Privacy Policy. Idle hours also affects anything rubber under the hood including belts, hoses, and weather sealing. I see that alot on pipeline trucks man stay safe keep warm ! 4 Years The parking brake does not seem tight, even though we had it redone. i have wondered this as well, would be nice to find the answer. The idle hours can be used for the same thing but also it is used to assist in total miles. Id really take that 5,000 idle hours into consideration if, for example, its a Ford Taurus with a high-performance 3.5L Ecoboost engine as, from what Ive read, carbon buildup can cause premature turbo failure if carbon mitigation maintenance is not taken into consideration. That 2013 Ford Taurus I found appears to be a naturally aspirated one so, if I was that winning bidder, I wouldnt be worried about that turbo issue, at all. But who cares if its making you money. Just curious-we purchased the vechicle in Feb. with 95k, but I did not think to check the hours. There are That way you can get your service work done at the proper time. If you find a used car with a lot of idle hours, Id take that into consideration but, would be slightly less concerned if I found out oil changes, coolant flushes, belts, and water pumps were all changed and addressed per the recommended maintenance schedule. Feb 26, 2012. I only have 3 idle hours on my truck. That can really add up when you think about units like vacuum trucks that have PTO time. link to Is Rebuilding a Diesel Engine Worth It? How exactly are the hours important in comparison to the miles? JavaScript is disabled. Mirror glazingIs when there is a mirror-like finish on the walls surrounding your pistons. For this reason, Ford's recommended oil change interval is every 200 engine hours, if the vehicle is idled extensively and/or driven very little. Some one told me that 1hr=60miles and obviously 1 mile= 0.62 km so: 200hrs x 60 = 12000/ 0.62 (miles)= 19354km correct me if i am wrong! Learn how our cutting-edge technology is redefining modern fleet management. The rings need that high amount of combustion pushing down on them to cause them to expand against the cylinder wall preventing the oil from passing by. Feel free to join our community and fix your car on your own! Up to that point, most of its life was spent on the freeway/highway. 2007.5 LMM LTZ *Airdog 165 *EFI Duramax Tuner. It runs 8-10 mins every morning from when the temps get below 30* til it warms up. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. It is quite a lot, but it's a work truck, and I rather stay warm and deal with consequences earlier in the life of the vehicle than stay cold but have only a few idle hours. I would be scared of that idle time. Is it easy to roll back mileage anymore? One gallon of diesel fuel stores about 38 kilowatt hours of energy, or 130,000 BTU. An APU is an auxiliary power unit. A truck engines operating time is monitored by an engine meter. 22.38% idle time which I noticed is the same as when I calculated it in 2011. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This was talked about a couple weeks ago on this forum and i believe the consensus was it was idle hours unless you were moving. Most manufacturers recommend idles for 3 minutes before running the engine under a load. Services should occur every 200 hours of engine run time unless the application is considered severe or extreme; includingtowing more than 50% of the time, extreme temperatures, and off-road use (see owner's manual specific vehicle requirements). When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. How much fuel does a diesel use at idle? Some manufacturers will log the idle time for you if not you can always keep a paper log. 52 hours of idle just seems like a lot to me. Manage Settings Maverik. We have a 2002 Chevy 3500 Dump Duramax/Allison with 100,000 miles and 5023 hours. Please select the number of verifiable months youve been driving professionally using your Class A CDL within the last 3 years. This controls throttle and tells the ECM to open or close the throttle body, affecting engine RPM's. If you were to rev up your engine and then shut it off, it will cause damage and wear to the turbocharger as the oil pressure drops with it is still spinning at very high RPMs.
Loyola Maryland Psyd Acceptance Rate, Articles D