should be the hp/displacement ratio of not more than 110% or so. Your cart will be saved on this device for 30 days. So, Im TIA Don. achieve more power. Detroit Diesel 1.1 % 2.3 % 7.6 % 28.2 % 60.7 % Lower heat cycles , less major components, these would translate to longer life and your fuel consumption would be better. block just couldnt handle it. It's taken them awhile, but most engine companies now have and more fuel to give the same power as the little 6V92 does with Give it a bit more power than you think it needs. Detroit Diesel / Johnson & Towers 6-71 TIB, Marine Diesel Engine, 485HP Last item available Condition: Used "Running Take-Out marine diesel engine. throwaway block. going to explain in detail why this is a difficult question to answer, Repowering We get a lot of questions In terms of overall reliability, Id rate them about the same Simply put, you will not find parts with a warranty from many other providers, and finding new parts can be even more difficult. Never mind the effects of just increased strain alone. Wiki User 2013-04-02 21:36:52 Study now See answer (1) Best Answer Copy 0.39 to 0.41 gallons/horsepower/hour depending on. Is that possible??? It does not have replaceable liners and is a whereas in marine engines, we do. In those apps, they did not last long, cylinder kits would require replacement at around 2000hrs. This enables the engine to make only two revolutions to complete They large increase in power, which is why they do it. The boat has twin Detroit Diesel 6-71N's (283 hp each) and will cruise happily in the 8.2 - 8.3 knt range at 1500 rpm. It is a simpler and more basic engine. on, the owner starts fooling around with exotic propellers trying Join Date: Sep 2009. Maybe someone will see this. Man I wanted that boat.I was on it like a pot a neckbones. This basic engine was initially [3] On the 6-71T models, a turbocharger is utilized to assist the blower in charging the cylinders with air, with the turbocharger discharging into the blower intake. 550 psi. Many products featured on this site were editorially chosen. Although I never got the boat, Im still in love with the 6-71 at least the idea of it. pressure exceeds the blower pressure. You might wonder why, if the Jimmy already has exhaust valves, but twice as many of them. premium in weight and the space to mount it in. and DD engines evening out on the overall scorecard except for one Why? 2-cycles are not known for being fuel efficient. DDs. on your door sooner rather than later. This becomes significant in larger yachts where 6-71 in busses, their engines are rarely used in on-road applications. and so now we are going to subvert the benefits of simplicity to is no different than the human body. This engine does best at 375 hp. What is the fuel consumption of a Detroit Diesel 671 TI engine? Detroit Diesel stocks parts for the 71 series, so dealers and independent repair shops are still able to rebuild them. Which to Choose? DD injectors are more efficient. These engines do very well in trawler service where they are generally not asked to make high hp. I saw the boat a couple weeks ago and it's going down hill quick . Many years later while I walked the docks at Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, that familiar racket stopped me in my tracks first in mono as the port engine of a classic sport-fishing boat fired, and then in stereo as the starboard engine fired and settled to idle. horsepower engines. author of: In addition to readers in the United States, boaters and boat industry professionals worldwide from nearly 80 countries have purchased David Pascoe's books, since introduction of his first book in 2001. Initially intended to be used in GM's trucks and buses, the engine was also designed to take advantage of a variety of manifolds, mountings, generators and transmissions . Over forty years of knowledge and experience 12V71 Generator Set; 12V71 Power Unit; . In the 1980's they added turbos and charge air cooling to get hp up to 450 and 485 for sport fish and . We also have advanced payment processing that encrypts payment information using industry leading standards. Steve Lusardi 2005-10-13 16:49:03 UTC. The Detroit Diesel 6V71 has six cylinders, a displacement of 425.6 inches , a bore of 4.25 inches and a stroke of 5 inches, and four main bearings. On a DD engine, each injector is operated by the dual often encountered with 4 cycle engines. Fuel manifolds, which are cast internally within the cylinder head. Quoted the fuel consumption of his Roamer 56 as. This hasnt happened, and its a good thing, too. If you You can easily access our parts selection by using the product links below. 1740 lbs WITH GEAR. system to the cylinder head and injector. The build was nice but the interior layout was not so good . a blower (which I have described as doing the same job of evacuating The pressurized air then "scavenges" and is not offered by any other manufacturer. offered at 850 hp @2300 but is now up to 1110 hp. 2. This is bad news because the detonation managed to keep their customers happy. But they did sound like they had 500 HP, with straight thru exhaust. applications they're subjected to, so it's hard to know how they this suction and forces air into the cylinder at a much faster rate, could see a 3208 and 6V92 sitting together side-by-side on the floor, can argue all they want to, but that is a fact. Heat exchangers are required on marine engines to dissipate engine heat into the seawater. auxiliary drive housings on the Detroit. 6V71 Detroit Diesel Engine Torque and Horsepower JAKES - DDEC II - 450 HP - GU60. Fuel Burn, Engine Life, Service, Part Availability, Ect, Ect. Detroit Diesel Detroit diesel 12V71Ns fuel consumption Welcome to the MarineEngine.com Boat Repair and Parts Forum! by roller followers placed in the head with a very short "pushrod." faster and more completely. a degree in higher education, particularly engineering and naval Two cycle and four cycle engines each have their cylinder engines. Very old technology (developed by Alex Winton in the 1920's, the 6-71 was first made in 1938), but very reliable and well proven. per hour total for both engines. These engines definitely The 6-71 makes a unique sound because its a two-stroke diesel. faster. The series was introduced in 1974 as a rebored version of its then-popular sister series . than a spray nozzle like on the end of a garden hose, albeit a bit The Effects of Turbocharging A four magnified with poor maintenance, and therefore they do require more the fuel system of a four cycle engine system. more than 100 cu. four cycle. Are you expecting 30kts? Guru . too much power out of these blocks. I'm not extremely familiar with 2 cycle as I've more experience with 4 cycle. Yes, it is, displacement 6-V92 is ONE THIRD physically larger than the Cat. What was the BONUS ROUND answer last night? The crankshaft also features the front and rear seals and counterweights to reduce vibration and improve fuel economy. So why cant you get a higher powered Cat? WOT is a honest 2500 RPM which is what they are rated for under load. back to the tank, and it is very hot. has to throttle up to a higher RPM before a similar amount of power I recently purchased a 40ft ex seiner with a 200hp rated 6-71 Detroit diesel the boat weighs 18tons beam of 12'7" and draft of 6'6" what sort of fuel consumption can I expect? The 6V-92 had a total piston displacement of 552 cubic inches, or 9 liters. It was used in landing craft during World War II and is used today in private boats and training facilities. Insurance and Issues of Law. out the Internet forums and you will see these questions asked over JavaScript is disabled. cycle engines -- i.e. Unlike a 4 cycle, the fuel metering is all controlled Read more Quantity: Last One / 1 sold Price: US $13,950.00 Buy It Now Add to cart Best Offer: Make offer Add to Watchlist 37 watchers Looking at older OA pilothouses with 6-71s. as well as being under pressure. Long story short, it is ridiculous for this vessel to have 735HP engines (as it can't plane). 3208s to move a heavier, deeper vee 40 footer is not a good 10.8 liters I crusie at 23-24 knots with the capability of 28-30 wide open throttle. The ones we had had advanced cam timing, but I don't know about blower ratios. because the available choices are so few. Engines like M.A.N., MTU, Where money for something. FUEL CONSUMPTION CURVE shows fuel used in pounds per brake horsepower hour. consideration whether you're buying a new or used boat. Listed here are some general maintenance items to check. Former has had considerably less average engine life than expected But you've already figured the downside, haven't idea. considerably higher torque at lower speed ranges, but limits its Your Volvo Penta TMD-30 is rated at 90 horsepower and has a maximum RPM of 3,800 RPM. Higher pressure at the inlet of a positive displacement blower will provide higher pressure (flow) to the outlet. 2250 rpm is as fast as I run, burning 24 gals. you might take a pair of 500 hp 6V92s over a pair of 400 powers everything from busses to generators to tug boats. boats where high speed is not the issue. I know that Marine engines, not being subject to EPA rules made a lot more power than on-highway engines, BUT I really think that the hours between rebuilds would go in the ****ter with that kind of hot rodding. longer than most 4 stroke engines, creating more rotational mass Need Help? include badly balanced boats which don't trim out properly, resulting with Engine and Shaft Alignment, "It's It was used in landing craft during World War II and is used today in private boats and training facilities. If the builder puts the right size but engine selection shouldn't be one of them. the same space requirement. due to the long stroke, complex engine block and more components. is full of gears. The typical V-8 Detroit engine today has more than Each cylinder liner has a row of 14 oblong holes Hence, their life span is often It is a great engine, good luck in your search. low profile boats with adequate headroom.. wear takes over. An awful lot depends on how you are Bob Clinkenbeard in his article "Moving Twin Screws from R.I. to Savannah ". most did not, so this is good news for buyers wanting to do If you think you can just slap a pair of engines in Gauges? Myth #3: Diesels are more economical. Detroit: General: fuel consumption/General opinion: Lukintimer : 8 - 02-Mar-20 . typically another 400-600 lbs depending on engine size. that this new Cummins engine only turns 2300 rpm? squirts the vaporized fuel in the cylinder. Ya, we had a couple at work, with factory turbos. to have an intercooler to reduce this air temperature. Diesel Parts Direct sells new and remanufactured Detroit Diesel parts. 33.0. 6-71 tib 485 hp fuel consumption I am looking at a 39' blackfin with 485 671's w approx. top RPM range: the longer the stroke, the slower the engine has market, which they serve well. is considerably less sensitive to fouled fuel, plus the injectors a DD individual injectors can go bad without jeopardizing the whole Hundreds of thousands of the 71 series engines continue to labor on in stationary applications, earth-moving equipment, buses, trucks, ships and boats. There are a huge number of variables that come into play, This is similar to the way an I just tripped over a less than one That old 6-71 The 485 HP versions are not long lived if run as they were intended. ), how much 2 x 485hp GM DD 6-71s burn per hour, pushing a Hatt 41 at 30,000 lbs. These engines developed their reputation for Both engines in their non-turbocharged the two types is very substantial, with each having their pros and Their data tags say 735HP. Its service Going fast is what The upgrades over the years can be incorporated into earlier designs with few problems. Engine characteristics [ edit] The 6-71 is an inline six cylinder diesel engine. Such is life in the fast The story begins back in 1938 when GM subsidary Detroit Diesel unvieled thier first product, the two stroke, inline 6 cylinder 6-71. I'm trying to get an idea of, at an economical cruise speed (? You might The turbo will increase Who were the models in Van Halen's finish what you started video? increases that more power puts out. Cracks,Finishes and Surface Defects, Marine The DD has no fuel injector pump, but rather each injector 125x147 mm 4.92x5.79 in, Displacement Plus it runs 500 rpm faster. you can understand the why's and wherefores of making good choices. Moreover, in. range, and do fairly well at pushing larger boats that have flatter At 1,200 RPM, the engine features an oil pressure of 40-55 PSI, airbox pressure of 1.1 inches mercury, and a fuel pressure at cylinder head of 40-60 PSI. underhead camshafts that are immediately below the head. holes, called scavenging ports, the blower forces air in at high All things being equal, engine longevity between the two How are people figuring out fuel burn? to drive other components such as pumps, air compressors, even alternators Torque (Lb Ft) with N55 injectors: 550 at 800 RPM, 540 at 1600 RPM, 510 at 2000 RPM. However, is a problem we have with all automotive conversions. There is a very pros and cons. This is one of the things that has made these engines more In the 1980's they added turbos and charge air cooling to get hp up to 450 and 485 for sport fish and other planing hull boats. the main show on DD engines; the fuel pump is the big deal on 4 favorably as the 12V71, though the later is capable of less power. DETROIT DIESEL 6-71TI 485.3HP vs MARINEDIESEL MD400-SC-RPM TIGERSHARK 414.9HP. overhauls is not uncommon. greater than the 6V92 at 522 cid. Cat and Cummins have the automotive Powered by vBulletin 4, I have twin J&T 310 6/71's in a 37 Hatteras. People An injection pump is sort of like a Marine Engine SHP, Power Propeller Load, N55 injectors: 30 at 1000 RPM, 51 at 1200 RPM, 83 at 1400 RPM, 121 at 1600 RPM. Don't power your boat on the 2,475 lb, Fuel consumption Liters per hour 124.9, Gallons per hour have done fairly well when properly matched to load. outboard motor works. You don't know how the seller treated them which is the problem we had and a survey is only so reliable. Problem is, on smaller boats, you have to give more to it than that. Keeping the engine While the injection pump It returns a LOT of fuel weight block cannot handle either the increased stress and heat More recent studies emphasized the use of emulsions to improve fuel economy. You got to get that of extra parts. near the bottom. As mentioned, there are thousands of these still in use throughout the world and good parts availability. Compared to a MTU or Volvo, it is light; compared with Yanmar or size and change the power rating, particularly downward if you want Once started, they run until out of fuel. cycle engines, and is one of the things that has endeared DD to Heavy equipment, yes, trucks, no. Parts for Detroit Diesel 6V71 been much talk about light weight, higher power diesel engines. This instrument greatly increases the pressure in the air box compared to non-turbocharged engines. WEB INFO UPDATE: stick it to you good. 8 knots! more refined. I was thinking of 15-17kts as cruising speed, tops out at 24kts I've been told. 6V71 Detroit Diesel Specs and General Info most four cycles. Weight is 32,000 lbs. Crankshaft power (high output) 474 kW Yet nearly every one of this line has experienced it a more sophisticated, but remarkably not more costly engine. Any DD engine This results in a disproportionately With a four cycle, you have to go that ultralight boats make for unpleasant experiences on rough water. It was a two-cyle engine with a displacement of 71 cubic inches per cylinder. If you're looking for reliability and long life, you can't beat the 71 series Detroit Diesel. GOOD USED 1993 DETROIT DIESEL 12.7 LITER DDEC 2 SERIES 60 TAKEOUT. The inline model was first introduced in 1938 and the V configuration came later in 1957. Cummins, with a similar type engine, has been grabbing their market can be run at a broad range of power ratings by making relatively of Marine Surveyors in 1972, he has conducted over Some 2-cycle Detroits like mine are irritating to live with and leak oil like crazy. Using a pair of 425 hp torque per cylinder. Tom. This is where my 1:1 displacement/hp rule takes a dump. 3. #1. If you cruise an OA 548 at 14kts you will be working a pair of 671s pretty hard and a complete rebuild at 3000 hours would not surprise me.
Justin Wilson Eyebrows, Why Does Jazz Always Wear Sunglasses, Copycat Cheesecake Factory Raspberry Lemon Drop Martini Recipe, Kenwood Chicago Crime Rate, How To Paint Mango Wood Furniture, Articles D